• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best 3pt shooter all-time (Monday JR Reid)

Lulz, still at it after all these years I see. But you're right, RC's 3 pt shooting was what made the 96 ACC championship possible.

George McCloud never played in the ACC.

I guess I have to spell it out. That was sarcasm on my part in response to the notion that Childress was responsible for all of Coach Odom's success, since Childress didn't play for the 96 team which won an ACC championship, therefore Childress could not have been responsible for all of his success.

fair enough. although redick regularly drained 30-footers.

This is the kind of crazy hyperbole that fuels his legend. He did not regularly hit shots from nine feet behind the line. He did on occasion, sure. But he hit most of them a foot or two behind the line, usually coming off two or three screens on plays designed solely to get him open shots.

Last edited:
A lot of shots. Only Redick and Staples took more than 1,000 3ptrs. No one else has taken 900 in a career. Dennis Scott 831 in three years, so he probably should be included in the 1,000 shot club.

SkinNdeacs has the worst basketball mind on these boards. I love that he's making the case that it was easier for Redick because the rest of Duke's team wasn't very good then so teams keyed in on him and he had to run around off multiple screens the entire game nearly every play just to get a shot, while playing nearly the whole game because Duke had a 7 man rotation

SkinNdeacs has the worst basketball mind on these boards. I love that he's making the case that it was easier for Redick because the rest of Duke's team wasn't very good then so teams keyed in on him and he had to run around off multiple screens the entire game nearly every play just to get a shot, while playing nearly the whole game because Duke had a 7 man rotation

You clearly have forgotten just how talented Duhon's rib was.

What the fuck are you talking about? That is basically exactly what I said. K designed an offense around JJ's ability to knock down open shots. If JJ played for a lesser coach who could not exploit his ability he would not have taken or made nearly as many threes.

He is right about Duke setting up the offense ofr JJ to take all those shots. It was easier for JJ than Dennis Scoot.

Scott shot a higher percentage and shot from greater distance.

It's Dennis Scott and then everyone else.

He shot 42.2% for his career from deep, and he hit more per season than anyone who ever played in the ACC (117 per season for his career, including his freshman year where he "only" hit 98). If he had played 4 years, Redick would have never even SNIFFED the career number he put up. And Scott had no soul or conscience. He just fired it up from everywhere, with people in his face or not.

He also owns the NBA single season record for 3 pointers made in a season. The guy was an unreal shooter.

Every time I see Redick brick one in the NBA, I wonder what happened to him. I guess he just doesn't have as much time to get his shot off these days.

How many ACCT games did Odom win without Tim Duncan?

What do Skip Brown, Rodney Rogers , Chris Paul, James Johnson, Jeff Teague, and AF Aminu have in common?

FWIW - Anthony Morrow should get some love in this thread. Shot 42.1% from 3 in his ACC career and is second all time in the NBA in 3pt % (44.4% for his career). He might have the most perfect spot up form I've ever seen.

Unlike Scott or Redick or some others in this thread, he has always been poor at creating his own shot (though with his height he can shoot over most defenders) and played on crappy college teams - but the man can flat out shoot the rock from deep.

Duncan is why Odom was able to get another job.

The great coaching & teaching ability of GDO is what made him so great for us. He molded a basketball neophyte in Tim Duncan into one of the great power forwards of all time.

His first great recruiting class of Childress, Rogers, Owens & Blucas brought us back from the great abyss known as Bob Staak and put us on the road to 2 ACC titles.

Best all time 3 point shooters were Reddick, Scott, Staples. One I wanted taking the shot with the game to be won...Randolph Childress

Dennis Scott.

Mark Price was deadly accurate with his shot, but I can't remember how good he was from the 3. Seems like the guy never missed.

JJ...he could shoot and I hated him.

Hubert Davis had good 3 pt. range.

Chill...if he was on, he was unbeatable.

Craig Dawson.

The great coaching & teaching ability of GDO is what made him so great for us. He molded a basketball neophyte in Tim Duncan into one of the great power forwards of all time.

Some might think you are overstating things a bit but I know for a fact Duncan would agree with that statement.

How have we gone this long without mentioning one...

RICKEY FREAKING PERAL YALL!

Some might think you are overstating things a bit but I know for a fact Duncan would agree with that statement.

Yea, but I am really not trying to overstate it. I know Tim has been quoted with crediting GDO & the coaching staff for all they did for him. TD had great footwork probably from his past soccer days [ can't figure how swimming would have helped except the conditioning, etc ]. But he came here raw as a basketball player, was very teachable, coachable and absorbed everything thrown at him by Wainwright & Odom.

They developed him into the National POY & gave him the basics to be a future NBA HOFer

What do Skip Brown, Rodney Rogers , Chris Paul, James Johnson, Jeff Teague, and AF Aminu have in common?

They have one less ACCT wins than Odom did without Timmy.

They have one less ACCT wins than Odom did without Timmy.

You mean fewer. Amazing none of those great players won a single game. Many had outstanding NCAA tournament results afterwards though.

His first great recruiting class of Childress, Rogers, Owens & Blucas brought us back from the great abyss known as Bob Staak and put us on the road to 2 ACC titles.

Best all time 3 point shooters were Reddick, Scott, Staples. One I wanted taking the shot with the game to be won...Randolph Childress

And what is Tim 'Mr. Class' Duncan going to say? Wish I had gone to Providence with Pitino so I would have won a National Championship?

Was it really the coaching or a student that would absorb everything that was thrown at him?

Pop must be a genius, since he made Tim an NBA ROY and 1st team All-NBA in his first year.

Pop is the first one to tell you it's all Tim and Tim is very much responsible for his success in SA.

The next thing you will try and tell me is Odom told the team at the end of OT in the ACCT in 1995 'only give the ball to Childress everytime'.

Back