• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Beer States

Haven't had the Left Hand.. Will need to ask my local beer store to order me some. Love me some Duck Rabbit milk stout, especially on draft

Haven't had the Left Hand.. Will need to ask my local beer store to order me some. Love me some Duck Rabbit milk stout, especially on draft

Order it, really? It's one of the more common craft beers.

This thread fucking sucks. It's like all the wine sniffing douchebags from Sideways got tired of wine and decided to get snooty about beers instead.

Order it, really? It's one of the more common craft beers.

You don't know where I live :)
It may be in Johnson City or Roanoke but right where I am it's unlikely. We have some of the beers from Asheville and Charlottesville and the more popular ones like Dogfish but otherwise whatever the beer store lady orders is it.

It's funny I actually had both last night. Duck Rabbit has the better start and Left Hand has the better body and finish in my opinion.

I second this opinion. I really love LH, and for the price you really cannot beat it. Also, I am headed to Fort Collins on Saturday. Boom! To bring this thread back to its original point, I must say Colorado is IMHO the best beer state. In Denver, I can piss and hit a microbrewery. They are on every corner it seems, and they mostly offer high quality brews. It's fucking awesome.

Last edited:
This thread fucking sucks. It's like all the wine sniffing douchebags from Sideways got tired of wine and decided to get snooty about beers instead.

welcome to the thread. thank you for your opinion.

You don't know where I live :)
It may be in Johnson City or Roanoke but right where I am it's unlikely. We have some of the beers from Asheville and Charlottesville and the more popular ones like Dogfish but otherwise whatever the beer store lady orders is it.

where do you live? kingsport?

Probably has to do with distribution a little bit.

It's definitely distribution. The NC beers listed are all available elsewhere. NoDa has calls coming in from all over the country after winning multiple awards for Hop, Drop & Roll, Coco Loco, and others, but they don't have the capacity yet to make it happen. They are planning a big expansion and a canning line right now (currently use a mobile canner from Asheville), but are sticking to their original customers in/around NC/SC until they have the capacity to get their beer out to the rest of the country.

NC, in general, is a young beer state. Much of the best beer is still only available locally. I wouldn't be surprised to see NC move up the list over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
If you are in/around Brevard, NC, check out Brevard Brewing Company. Just might be the best Pilsner I ever had. Lager is excellent, too. Both cold-fermented.

It's definitely distribution. The NC beers listed are all available elsewhere. NoDa has calls coming in from all over the country after winning multiple awards for Hop, Drop & Roll, Coco Loco, and others, but they don't have the capacity yet to make it happen. They are planning a big expansion and a canning line right now (currently use a mobile canner from Asheville), but are sticking to their original customers in/around NC/SC until they have the capacity to get their beer out to the rest of the country.

Transitioning from local to regional to national is extremely tricky for microbreweries. Gordon Biersch's beers are very good on tap, but are terrible in bottles. They have enough brewpubs around the country that they do OK, but they never got it right in retail. Russian River doesn't even really try to grow. They service the hell out of their restaurant customers in Sonoma County and brew pubs in the rest of the Bay Area, but don't even bother to sell kegs via retail. They deliberately stay small to keep control of their quality.

Florida is just getting started in the craft beer game and it is pretty cool to visit these places as they start up and watch them grow.

Virginia at 29 is criminally underrated. The craft beer scene here in RVA alone is pretty damn good.

Just stumbled upon baileys tap room in Portland Oregon. I'm drinking Barley Brown's Headshake. Bad ass. Imperial IPA from Baker City, OR.

Just stumbled upon baileys tap room in Portland Oregon. I'm drinking Barley Brown's Headshake. Bad ass. Imperial IPA from Baker City, OR.

Barley Brown's is the fucking bomb. I just wish it wasn't in Baker City.

Back