• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of North Carolina

What is the best part of North Carolina?

• Asheville

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Boone / Blowing Rock / Banner Elk

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • OBX

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Research Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Triad (Winston / GSO / High Point)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Wilmington & Surrounding Beaches (Sunset Beach to Morehead City)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Highlands

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
I avoid I26 around Ashevegas as much as I possibly can. The 'northern' corridor can be a bit more manageable...sometimes.
one of the biggest chokepoints is heading from the airport toward town, specifically between the airport and Long Shoals exits. this is due in large part to the trucks slowly going up the hill past Long Shoals up to the Blue Ridge Parkway bridge. a couple of years before construction started they added no trucks in left lane signs for that stretch on both sides which helped a lot, but once construction started they took them away. doesn't make sense because it's still two lanes in each direction up the same hill.

If I have a gig in Hendo, I'll go Old Fort to 9 to 64. Post gig, I may come back via 26, since midnight traffic is generally not too bad. That stretch you mention is indeed pretty bad. Was beat all to shit last I drove it to Hendo.

If I have a gig in Hendo, I'll go Old Fort to 9 to 64. Post gig, I may come back via 26, since midnight traffic is generally not too bad. That stretch you mention is indeed pretty bad. Was beat all to shit last I drove it to Hendo.
usually my commute in the morning is not bad, save the occasional wreck but in the afternoons it's pretty much always bad on that stretch so I go a back way to get to the Long Shoals exit then get on 26 there. once you get up that hill it's fine.

Back