• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of North Carolina

What is the best part of North Carolina?

• Asheville

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Boone / Blowing Rock / Banner Elk

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • OBX

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Research Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Triad (Winston / GSO / High Point)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Wilmington & Surrounding Beaches (Sunset Beach to Morehead City)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Highlands

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
The family farm in my mom’s side of the family has been in Lumber Bridge for generations. Her cousin runs it now but my mom always reminisces about visiting her grandparents there on weekends.

If I were thinking of relocating to western NC in the next few years as a cultured and outdoors-oriented ~40yo (oh my god), where might I look?
Brevard, Hendersonville, Saluda or Waynesville. All are close to Asheville without having to live in Asheville. Hendersonville and Saluda are also just short trips to Charlotte or Greenville, SC.

Brevard, Hendersonville, Saluda or Waynesville. All are close to Asheville without having to live in Asheville. Hendersonville and Saluda are also just short trips to Charlotte or Greenville, SC.
I have relatives that live in Fletcher about halfway between Asheville & Hendersonville and it seems nice - they live in a valley with some great mountain scenery. However, like most things around Asheville it seems to be rapidly growing, and the traffic the closer you get to Asheville is terrible, even on some back roads.

These are the same amount of bad.
Mountain Aire GC (the West Jefferson one) is certainly no stellar track but it is a fun experience, especially if you don't play much mountain golf. The views from some of the tees are outstanding and watching your ball fly for like 10 minutes against the backdrop of beautiful mountains is pretty cool. I'm partial to the place since I played my HS golf there and it was designed and developed by a family and is still owned and run by them.

Mountain Aire thinks it’s Jefferson Landing. It is not.
OK, Mako, now you are just making things up.... I have never gotten that feeling at all. Mtn. Aire is cheap, fun and laid back - I don't think they take themselves very seriously. Jefferson Landing is very nice but is laid out in a valley that was an old farm and barely even feels like a mountain course. I was at a wedding at JL this summer - I didn't get to play but the place looked beautiful - they apparently re-did it 3-4 years ago and it shows.

I have relatives that live in Fletcher about halfway between Asheville & Hendersonville and it seems nice - they live in a valley with some great mountain scenery. However, like most things around Asheville it seems to be rapidly growing, and the traffic the closer you get to Asheville is terrible, even on some back roads.
Yeah Fletcher and Mills River are becoming quite popular since you can have some land and you get cheaper taxes in Henderson County.

And you’re right on the roads. With the mountains there are only so many roads to get you across town and if 26 is fucked (it’s always fucked) then those alternate routes get busy quickly. But maybe they’ll actually finish the 26 expansion project by 2025 as they claim. It was supposed to be 2024 but all of the sudden they added on another year.

Yeah Fletcher and Mills River are becoming quite popular since you can have some land and you get cheaper taxes in Henderson County.

And you’re right on the roads. With the mountains there are only so many roads to get you across town and if 26 is fucked (it’s always fucked) then those alternate routes get busy quickly. But maybe they’ll actually finish the 26 expansion project by 2025 as they claim. It was supposed to be 2024 but all of the sudden they added on another year.
Driving back from Murphy/Andrews to Charlotte a few weeks back, 26 came to a total standstill, late morning on a Sunday. I was nursing a brutal hangover and stop and go traffic with zero median almost induced a full on panic attack.

Driving back from Murphy/Andrews to Charlotte a few weeks back, 26 came to a total standstill, late morning on a Sunday. I was nursing a brutal hangover and stop and go traffic with zero median almost induced a full on panic attack.
it's really fun on days like this morning when you're stuck behind a wide load double wide that takes up the whole road. and there's no where to go since you've got Jersey barriers on both sides

Back