• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of North Carolina

What is the best part of North Carolina?

• Asheville

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Boone / Blowing Rock / Banner Elk

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • OBX

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Research Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Triad (Winston / GSO / High Point)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Wilmington & Surrounding Beaches (Sunset Beach to Morehead City)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Highlands

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
TONS of olds there.

It's a small place. The appeal is the outdoors and those looking for small town living. But yeah. Lot of old folks there. But that's damn near everywhere around here

Good to know since I’m headed to Highlands this weekend.

Having grown up in far northwestern NC I voted Boone/Blowing Rock, but I really prefer Ashe County and the New River area in NC. Not as crowded or overdeveloped, at least yet. I have relatives that live in the Asheville area and it's also nice with great scenery, but it's getting pretty crowded. For urban areas I'd agree that the Triangle is best.
Ashe county is gorgeous and so much better for things to do than it was when I was growing up there....

It's a small place. The appeal is the outdoors and those looking for small town living. But yeah. Lot of old folks there. But that's damn near everywhere around here

Yeah it’s a real nice area. My grandparents lived out there for many years and grandmother is still there in a senior living facility. Have noticed a lot more stuff happening that way over the last several years going up there.

i didn't know blowing rock was upscale

i stayed there once -- i didn't remember it being, like, super bougie or anything

a lot of people I work with live out that way and seem to like it. for me it's a bit isolated if you want to go into Asheville or Greenville for bigger city things. Hendersonville or Mills River would be better suited for that. but you can't beat Brevard's access to outdoor activities between Dupont, Pisgah, and the BRP.

I went to camp for a number of years right outside Brevard and loved it.
What camp?

Highlands is probably pound for pound the poshest/wealthiest mountain town

i know, but would have been coming/going from maggie valley

but close enough that I'm not sure

I’m watching a 2015 movie on Showtime called Oddball, with Sarah Snook from Secession, and she looks to have gained about 100 pounds since that movie.

So it’s gettin down to 33 degrees while I’m in HIghlands a few days from now, which seems pretty cold.

So it’s gettin down to 33 degrees while I’m in HIghlands a few days from now, which seems pretty cold.
yeah we did a long weekend getaway to check it out for the first time in the spring, it was 70-80 the weekend before we got there, and then in the 30s a week later when we were there 🥶, felt like we got a raw deal there but still had a good time

I’ve been there plenty of times so it’s no like I’m put out over the cold snap, just a little surprised at how sudden it is. Great waterfall area though.

My dad’s business partner used to have a house in the Old Edwards Club and it was fucking insane. Entirely built out over a cliff and stunning views.

Back