• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Restaurant in Winston

Best Restaurant

• Total voters
Fabian's has always been at the top of my list, even without Fabian there any more. Spring House is also very good, and Milner's is usually good, with a couple entrees I really like. I've only been to Old Europe once, and that was not long after it opened. It was good enough (and the Apple Strudel was very good), but apparently one of the chefs was in the hospital, and I don't know what else was going on, but there was maybe one other party there and it took a good 45 minutes to get our food. They apologized several times, but it was still crazy. I would like to go back and try it some time, especially since they have lasted this long (I figured they'd be gone in a month). One place I've just started going in the past year or so that hasn't been mentioned is La Botana. Not high end or anything, but I really like the variety and I've always gotten good food from there.

ETA: 5 Points isn't bad either, and they have great cinnamon yeast rolls that they serve with brunch. Haven't been for dinner yet, though.

5 Points is OK. It's greek owned too - a friend of my family. I went with my dad once and he ordered a prime rib, which came out tough and I swear it was not prime rib - more like hanger steak, but the manager swore its texture was due to a new way they were preparing it, whatever that means. The salmon I had was pretty good though.

Winston has some pretty decent restaurants. Especially for a city its size. Not sure about a "best" one.

Fabians is fabulous. Or at least it was...haven't been for a while.

Meridian, Mozelle's, Milner's, and Noble's are reliable. Though I think Noble's has fallen off a tad.

Willow's Bistro is good. Bernardin's is good. The downtown Tai place is pretty good.

I've enjoyed lunch several times at First Street Draught House.

Places that have disappointed...Diamondback and 1703 head that list for me. But maybe I just went on an off night.

Haven't made it to Spring House or Five Points yet.

ETA: the restaurant at Wine Merchant's Gourmet is worth a visit.

I'll go ahead and take the last word on this one. The best places in no particular order:
Milners
Willows
Ryans
Bernardins
Spring House
Mozelle's

None are as good as my top 10 in Greensboro, however.

Well sure, it's "easy" to spend $100 if you are having a 3 course dinner with 2-3 drinks each and buying some of the more expensive entrees on the menu...that's not quite the same as "easy as hell to spend $100.00 for two people." $100 is pretty damn cheap for app, two entrees, dessert and 6 drinks, even in Winston. You could probably spend $100 at Ruby Tuesday on a Saturday night with apps, drinks, dessert.

Yeah, if you order the entire menu, it would add up pretty quickly.

Last edited:
kudos to the OP for not including Ryans.

that place is way over-rated. it is middle of the road at best. they cram way too many people in there and as a result the only "atmosphere" is the view out the windows if you are fortunate enough to get seated where you can actually see out. the food is average and over-priced for average.

this from someone who first went there in 1969.....

we went to ryans for freshmen orientation, or maybe just as a suite

guy from west virginia ordered his steak "raw"

for the rest of his college life, he was known as "Mad Dog"

No Jimmy the Greek's or Elizabeth's?

kudos to the OP for not including Ryans.

that place is way over-rated. it is middle of the road at best. they cram way too many people in there and as a result the only "atmosphere" is the view out the windows if you are fortunate enough to get seated where you can actually see out. the food is average and over-priced for average.

this from someone who first went there in 1969.....

Ryan was just a baby back then. He's all grown up now.

Jimmy the Greek's is pretty great for late-night munchies or hangover relief the next day. I like going there before Wake games.

Winston has some pretty decent restaurants. Especially for a city its size. Not sure about a "best" one.

Fabians is fabulous. Or at least it was...haven't been for a while.

Meridian, Mozelle's, Milner's, and Noble's are reliable. Though I think Noble's has fallen off a tad.

Willow's Bistro is good. Bernardin's is good. The downtown Tai place is pretty good.

I've enjoyed lunch several times at First Street Draught House.

Places that have disappointed...Diamondback and 1703 head that list for me. But maybe I just went on an off night.

Haven't made it to Spring House or Five Points yet.

I just heard about that place last week, a coworker told me I definitely should check it out. Sounds good. (Vin 205)

That's what my son did. He took his 7-year old son & 9-year old daughter. Guess I forgot I was posting on a haughty taughty Wake Forest board. Apologies for not having fine enough tastes to be suitable for WF society.

I think Firebirds is good.

One mountain and one Mexican
eluded you all's search:
In Waughtown, La Perlita;
and the lodge called Riverbirch.

I did forget Riverbirch, I really like that restaurant.

Disagree Winston restaurant scene sucks. There are larger cities with worse dining options.

I think Firebirds is good.

I don't think it qualifies in a discussion of "Best in Winston", but they have a very good Black & Blue salad for lunch. I think they are certainly better than any of the other steak chains here, but that isn't a high bar to surpass.

Can't speak to the restaurant, but it's a decent little wine shop. I was kind of surprised when I stumbled upon it during my last visit to W-S.

Back