• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

I remember someone posting a critique that said that when Fring returns, the show would become all about Fring. I agree that if they would have put him in season 1, early in season 2, or even after a weak season 2, then Fring would have taken over the show. But after a VERY strong second season, I think they can work him in smoothly.

I remember someone posting a critique that said that when Fring returns, the show would become all about Fring. I agree that if they would have put him in season 1, early in season 2, or even after a weak season 2, then Fring would have taken over the show. But after a VERY strong second season, I think they can work him in smoothly.

Agreed. They've worked in Hector pretty seamlessly

Yeah. I posted that from Sepinwall. I agree after this season, they could work him in.

Last week's episode was so good, I don't know how tonight can top it. I'm rooting for a badass Gus entrance.

Pretty funny FRINGS BACK was just the work of over obsessive Reddit.

Great season, they basically did in two seasons what was originally planned for one... And they did it on the fly. We can see Jimmy was gonna be successful under his own name yet within his own style doing elder law, but his moment of weakness with Chuck will necessitate the metamorphosis to Saul.

I assumed FRINGS BACK was about Season 3. He's not a character you just drop in a season finale.

Regardless, Fring or one of his people is clearly who left the note for Mike.

Great tension in that scene. You had Mike looking through the scope at his target who we know is a paraplegic standing behind a guy who know isn't in BB. No reason it doesn't go down there.

They used what we know against us there and with Chuck.

It's clear that the creators had planned on having a Fring appearance based on Legendz video, but were forced change that scene with an anticlimactic note because of the contract issues. More power to Esposito, he has an extraordinary amount of leverage here. Hence them bemoaning the intelligence of the fans.

I don't think they planned on having him back for Season 2 at all. I think Season 3 will start off with Victor interacting with Mike anyway.

"our fans are way smarter than we want them to be... because we don't have a deal with the actor yet"

interjection "you caught us with an open kimono"

"i wish our fans weren't as smart as they are"

interjection "or we were smart enough to realize how smart they are"

That exchange seems clear to me, though I guess you could interpret it differently... but why bring up the contract at all.... and this is before the finale aired. And for context they seemed pained about the whole thing, like something went awry.

And if it was just a ploy to have Fring or Fring associate plant a note off screen... lame.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you're coming from FYC.

FRINGS BACK was uncovered last Monday. Are you saying that they planned on Fring being in tonight's episode but they had to scrap it because negotiations broke down a week ago?

They stopped filming Season 2 months ago. Gilligan said in Talking Bad that today was their 10th day in the writer's room for Season 3.

Here's an article from March 12th. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-sauls-vince-gilligan-874894

Closing the panel with what to expect from the remainder of the season, Gilligan teased the possibility of a Breaking Bad favorite entering the series during the finale. "We had a perfect opportunity for someone from our Breaking Bad universe to show up.”

He quickly backed away, explaining that the return ultimately won’t pan out. Gould, on a final note, expressed his feelings on the decision against it. "It killed me though. That would've been fun."

I think they wrote out the whole season with episode titles in mind with a Gus Fring cameo in the finale, just maybe a minute or less. They went on with the season hoping before d-day they could get Esposito. Esposito, who usually isn't getting this prime of an opportunity is maximizing his deal. Now they've known for a good while that their easter egg is a big let down.

No way the big reveal of the effort of making that anagram episode title in random order was a note possibly tied to Fring. That, or Gould singularly vetoed Gilligan on something other than contract, which seems unlikely to me.

Last edited:
So you're saying they're disappointed people figured it out.

They could have changed the episode titles if that was a problem.

Obviously I'm not into the details of production on this show but it seems things were put into motion in advance in assumption of other things. They sound disappointed in the Hollywood Reporter article and they act defensive in the Eisen interview.

It seems like they just wanted at least an on screen shot of Gus in the finale stopping Mike as a teaser for season 3, and they couldn't secure that. When they couldn't secure it they assumed it would be okay because no one would notice the easter egg. Someone noticed it a week before the finale because that's when the episode title was released. Just my opinion though.

The "Don't" note had shades of the call Fring made to Hank in season 3 of BB. Whether it was the original plan or not, it adds an additional layer of mystery to the show. Frankly, I would've been disappointed if they had wasted a Gus reveal as an almost-throwaway in the last moments of the season finale.

As for Chuck and Jimmy... woof. So much possibility for season 3.

Back