• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden finally admits to 7th grandchild

I mean at this point after the Trump years what does sleeping with hooker/sex workers really matter? Trump, Jr and Hunter. We know other politicians did also.

Why is this even relevant…Hunter is not running for President!

I guess you guys failed to get the memo about Hunter and his daughter. It came from Maureen Dowd, one of the most influential liberals in America. It was published in the NY Times for Chrissake! Come on guys, pay attention! Get with the program! :rolleyes:

WASHINGTON — Even my Republican sister is not immune to Joe Biden’s gregarious Irish charm.
She met him at media holiday parties over the years and was so impressed that she got seduced to the other side for a time, voting for the Obama-Biden ticket in 2008 and writing in Biden’s name for president in 2012. She sent out a Christmas card one year with a picture of herself cheek to cheek with Biden — and some of her Republican friends stopped speaking to her.

So I was surprised recently when I discovered my sister writing a letter to President Biden, a plea that she had started in the middle of the night, after mulling over the matter for quite a while.
“I watched as you told the nation that you had six grandchildren and you loved each one of them,” she wrote. “I believe that. What I cannot believe and what I find unconscionable is that you refuse to admit or accept the fact that there is a beautiful little 4-year-old girl living in Arkansas by the name of Navy Joan who is your seventh grandchild.”

Peggy wrote about Hunter’s high-priced lawyers going down to Arkansas to make sure Navy could not use the Biden name and to slash child support payments.

“She has the Biden blood running through her veins, and all she is going to have as a reminder of this are some of Hunter’s original paintings; sounds like a lousy trade-off, if you ask me,” Peggy wrote, referring to the agreement that assigned some of Hunter’s artwork to the daughter he has never met, even though DNA testing in 2019 established his paternity.

In his 2021 memoir, Hunter wrote dismissively about Navy’s mother, Lunden Roberts, whom he met when he was spiraling into addiction and going to Washington strip clubs. He wrote that the women he had sexual encounters with during his drug “rampages” were “hardly the dating type.”

“I had no recollection of our encounter,” he said of Roberts. Yet he put her on the payroll of his consulting firm as a personal assistant while she was pregnant. About three months after Navy was born, Hunter took away Roberts’s company health insurance.

“As she grows up, knowing that her father and paternal grandparents wanted nothing to do with her,” Peggy wrote, “she will probably be able to see a video or two showing her half sister Naomi getting married on the South Lawn and you watching the fireworks on the balcony with little Beau. And if she misses that, there will be plenty of schoolmates to remind her that she wasn’t wanted. Kids can be mean that way.”

She asked why Hunter couldn’t act like Tom Brady, who treats his son by Bridget Moynahan, the actress he was dating before he married Gisele Bündchen, the same as the two children he and Gisele had. (Not to mention Arnold Schwarzenegger, who says in a new Netflix documentary series that he has a great relationship with the son he had after a tryst with his family’s housekeeper that broke up his marriage.)

“Mr. President, many years ago, you lost your daughter in a horrendous car accident,” Peggy continued. “I know you still carry that pain with you every day because I have watched your face when you speak about her. Please do not throw away your granddaughter.”

My sister and I often disagree about politics, but this is not a political issue to us. It’s a human one. Joe Biden’s mantra has always been that “the absolute most important thing is your family.” It is the heart of his political narrative. Empathy, born of family tragedies, has been his stock in trade. Callously scarring Navy’s life, just as it gets started, undercuts that. As Katie Rogers, a Times White House correspondent, wrote in a haunting front-page piece last weekend about Hunter’s unwanted child, Biden is so sensitive “that only the president’s most senior advisers talk to him about his son.” Rogers said that “in strategy meetings in recent years, aides have been told that the Bidens have six, not seven, grandchildren.” Jill Biden dedicated her 2020 children’s book to the six grandchildren.

What the Navy story reveals is how dated and inauthentic the 80-year-old president’s view of family is.

Once you could get away with using terms like “out of wedlock” and pretend that children born outside marriage didn’t exist or were somehow shameful. But now we have become vastly more accepting of nontraditional families. We live in an Ancestry.com world, where people are searching out their birth parents and trying to find relatives they didn’t know they had.

I have sympathy for Hunter going into a “dark, bleak hole,” as he called it. I have sympathy for a father coping with a son who was out of control and who may still be fragile. With Hunter, his father can seem paralyzed about the right thing to do.

But the president can’t defend Hunter on all his other messes and draw the line at accepting one little girl. You can’t punish her for something she had no choice about. The Bidens should embrace the life Hunter brought into the world, even if he didn’t consider her mother “the dating type.”

The president’s cold shoulder — and heart — is counter to every message he has sent for decades, and it’s out of sync with the America he wants to continue to lead.

As a genuine question, why does $20k a month child support even exist? In what world is it justifiable to say that you need $240k a year to raise a child?

I don’t even understand how even the most wealthy possible absentee fathers are obligated to pay for their child (that they aren’t raising personally) to also live in extreme wealth.

seems like bad long-term GOP strategy to make the culture wars the arena of engagement

gonna continue to lose in the long run

I mean at this point after the Trump years what does sleeping with hooker/sex workers really matter? Trump, Jr and Hunter. We know other politicians did also.

It's just the latest right-wing effort to bosides everything. They know very well about Trump's massive personal failures on almost every level, so if they can somehow drag down Joe Biden (and make no mistake, this is all aimed at Joe, not Hunter) then they can say "See, Biden is no better than Trump! So I can vote for Trump because they're both equally bad!" Same thing they did with Hillary in 2016, and will likely try to do with every Democratic presidential candidate moving forward. Joe has never been perfect (who is?) - we're talking about a guy who decades ago plagiarized another politician's speech in one of his presidential campaigns - but there is no real moral comparison to Trump, despite whatever flaws have surfaced, and will no doubt continue to surface, about his obviously troubled surviving son. And I would add that at least Joe hasn't put Hunter into government or advisory positions as did Trump with his kids, and Biden is hardly the only POTUS to have a flawed/black sheep close family member cause him embarrassment. There was Bill Clinton's half-brother Roger, Reagan's son Ron, Jr. and daughter Patti, and most notably, Jimmy Carter's brother Billy (remember Billy Beer and his inept attempts to cut business deals with shady foreign governments at the time, like Libya?)

As a genuine question, why does $20k a month child support even exist? In what world is it justifiable to say that you need $240k a year to raise a child?

I don’t even understand how even the most wealthy possible absentee fathers are obligated to pay for their child (that they aren’t raising personally) to also live in extreme wealth.
My guy do yourself a favor and do not google Kevin Costner’s monthly child support. The key verbiage is “the amount needed to maintain the children in their accustomed lifestyle.”

And to think if Hunter had only forced her to get an abortion instead of giving her a job and paying $20K in child support, he could have avoided this whole drama.

No its about child support. Hunter is trying to get the child support reduced from 20k a month (Screw that judge by the way), and the mother thinks he is hiding money. Really seems like the mother is focused on the welfare of the child first and foremost. I mean its amazing the overlap:

No one involved cares about a 4 year old child, who is being used, not the parents, not the media. If Hunter and the mother want to have an agreement for visitations, that should be a private matter. This one of those stories that makes me embarrassed for our country. I can't imagine the child growing up well adjusted with this around her everywhere she goes.
Pretty sure theReff is the only one in this whole saga the truly cares about the child.

It's almost enough to make you want to wear a rubber.

If I hypothetically were to have a child and get divorced, i as the father should be expected to provide the child the same lifestyle they would have had financially had their mother and i stayed together.
i don't see anything wrong with that. How that gets calculated may be another discussion/argument all together.

I have much bigger issues with idea of alimony than i do with child support and how that's calculated.

What are your thoughts on FL's new alimony law? I don't know much about it, but I know some right-leaning women's groups are big mad.

This is very non-liberal of me, but why is the child entitled to life the same lifestyle they hypothetically would have had simply because the parents got divorced? There's no guarantee that the lifestyle had at that point in time would sustain itself until the child is 18. Seems like an odd bar. It definitely sucks for a kid whenever parents get divorced, but I would think a bar would be "is the child sufficiently and properly cared for with this amount of money?".

Admittedly, I have not put a lot of thought into this, so welcome to learn.

So divorce doesn't financially harm a kid beyond the interpersonal dynamics between the parents.

This is very non-liberal of me, but why is the child entitled to life the same lifestyle they hypothetically would have had simply because the parents got divorced? There's no guarantee that the lifestyle had at that point in time would sustain itself until the child is 18. Seems like an odd bar. It definitely sucks for a kid whenever parents get divorced, but I would think a bar would be "is the child sufficiently and properly cared for with this amount of money?".

You also give power to the parent with the most means by not having an out. Historically this financial power imbalance has almost exclusively led to women being stuck in unsatisfying and/or abusive relationships because they don't want to sacrifice opportunity for their kids.

You don't have to preface your remarks with an apology for saying something "non-liberal."

You also give power to the parent with the most means by not having an out. Historically this financial power imbalance has almost exclusively led to women being stuck in unsatisfying and/or abusive relationships because they don't want to sacrifice opportunity for their kids.
This makes a lot of sense.

I've asked this question at least 3 times with no response

What are your thoughts on FL's new alimony law? I don't know much about it, but I know some right-leaning women's groups are big mad.
i haven't looked into it at all since i don't plan on ever having to worry about it.

I think alimony is just completely outdated. Couple have wildly different ways of handling finances in current society. here is my example: Partner A makes 100k a year, Partner B makes 60k per year. they each keep there income in separate accounts, and pool ONLY shared resources like rent/mortgage etc. Why should partner A pay Partner B to maintain a lifestyle? Nothing about alimony rings fair to me. Leave it all as child support.

The answer is clear to everyone without an ax to grind.

It's only relevant to people trying to obfuscate, confuse, and whatabout from a party that has literally no platform other than take (gerrymandery, disenfranchise, actual crimes like in GA) power and maintain at any cost. (Insurrection, lies, targeting of opponents with smears and false equivalence, list goes on...)

Back