• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Most Republicans in Congress couldn’t even cast a bipartisan vote to certify Biden’s election. How are they going to cast bipartisan votes on voting rights, immigration, infrastructure, or any other nuanced policy?

Townie and Junebug need to get out with that nonsense unless Townie explains how Bernie would have gotten Manchin’s vote and Junebug explains how to work with people 100% dedicated to your failure.

Right now, the math works against Democrats. The 2022 Senate map is more favorable if Democrats show up.

I'm not so interested in what can be done within the context of some arcane procedural nonsense with the parliamentarian or even with the bully pulpit to sway public opinion and convince our DINO senators to start voting the party line.

What I'm interested in is why nobody in the ~~liberal media~~ holds him to account for missing a ton of campaign promises that could have been enacted via some combination of executive order and simply administering his own cabinet positions.

Take, for example, the leaked conversation with the NAACP Legal Defense Fund from when Biden was simply President-Elect. They asked for some very simple and straightforward provisions to be taken out of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act and administered via either the DOJ or through executive order (such as creation of a federal database of police killings).

I'm interested in why, if he was the guy who could start working on prescription drug reform, or the watered down lowering of the Medicare age to 60 (Hilary even proposed 55 as recently as 2016), or the fight for a public option as part of a legislative or executive action regarding health during the largest health crisis in modern American history, why has he made no strides? And has he not lost the public impetus for that conversation? When is the next appropriate time? The next budget reconciliation? When any new entitlement must by definition sunset in 10 years? Similarly, Democrats are already positioning themselves as sympathetic to management rather than labor in the discussion of the $15 minimum wage and the return to work, and we're not even fully past this pandemic yet. What happens when the pandemic is over and any leverage the left had to sway mass public opinion wanes, because people just want to get a burger quickly?

Why run cover for him, too? For four years it was "don't criticize the Dems, we've got to get Trump out, he's the real bad guy." Now it's "don't criticize the Dems, it's Manchin/the GOP obstructionists" and in 2022 when the Congress is even more precarious, what is the message then, to the still suffering?

“Criticize the Dems and vote for them too.”

When do we get to criticize progressives who thought every problem could be solved with a march and boycott to sway enough hearts and minds? That’s almost as foolish as seeking political bipartisanship. It’s going to take passing bills and getting left leaning judges and justices, not just activism.

When do we get to criticize progressives who thought every problem could be solved with a march and boycott to sway enough hearts and minds? That’s almost as foolish as seeking political bipartisanship. It’s going to take passing bills and getting left leaning judges and justices, not just activism.

I hate this post so much

We went through this during the debates about “electoralism.” MHB posted a long list of activists wins yet all of them ended with bills in some legislative body or court cases. Few to none of them would get support from today’s GOP.

I’m not foolish enough to believe that today’s Republicans are not going to budge on key issues. They’re building a political system where they don’t have to be accountable to the people. Hell, they’re outlawing protest itself. And their project is almost done. The last thing they need is for good people not to show up to vote. Got to vote for people to oppose the GOP then pressure those people.

We definitely need for Democrats to gain a real working majority in as many places as possible. Not just on the federal level.

If we have any hope for even halfway decent improvements in our governance.

I guess.

I mean, what we really need is campaign/political finance reform yielding real transparency. And if we're really destined to remain essentially a two party system, we need both parties incentivized to work for the good of our nation/peoples rather than one party clearly lost in utterly dishonest power grubbing/grabbing. But until the day when Republicans can come to their senses (if possible), we have to hope for and work for Democrats to gain real working majorities.

Last edited:

Jesus dude

vOtE!

I diSaGrEe WiTH tHiS DEM so LeT a FaSCiSt wIN inStEaD!!!!1111

honestly just tired of this shit

What a choice you’ve proposed here. Bravo. Care to engage on the substance of the longer post I made or do you prefer to do an rj?

What a choice you’ve proposed here. Bravo. Care to engage on the substance of the longer post I made or do you prefer to do an rj?

I did. Criticize the Dems and vote for them too.

I don’t expect to agree with every politician. I don’t even expect to like them. I know I’m voting for better not best.

Underestimate right-wing fascism at your own peril. The idea of rejecting a politician based on tactics or lack of urgency when the alternative is authoritarianism is bonkers to me.

Without specifically addressing who is right and who is wrong in this particular argument, I do find it interesting that its a middle-aged black man on one side of the argument and younger white folks on the other side. It feels, on a micro-level, similar to what happened on a macro-level in the last democratic primary. I say that understanding that Ph was not a Biden supporter.

As far as the actual argument, I don't think anybody on this thread, save maybe mh, is suggesting that people shouldn't vote.

Can the Rich Pay for a Better America?

The budget proposal released by the Biden administration last week calls for almost $5 trillion in new spending over the next decade — that is, outlays in excess of its “baseline” estimate of the spending that would take place without new policies. Some of the extra money would be borrowed, but most of it — $3.6 trillion — is supposed to come from new revenues.

PAUL KRUGMAN: Get a better understanding of the economy — and an even deeper look inside Paul’s mind.
President Biden has, however, repeatedly promised not to increase taxes on households making less than $400,000 a year. And his budget does indeed propose raising all the additional money via higher receipts from corporations and high-income individuals.

It’s worth noting, by the way, that the two proposals that have attracted the most attention — raising the corporate tax rate, which Donald Trump cut from 35 to 21 percent, up to 28 percent, and raising the top individual rate back to 39.6 percent — account for only a fraction of the proposed revenue increase (just over a quarter). Most of the money is supposed to come from closing loopholes and eliminating perceived inequities — things like giving the I.R.S. the resources to crack down on wealthy tax cheats, eliminating rules that allow many capital gains to go completely untaxed and closing off some of the major avenues for corporate tax avoidance.

Still, is trying to “build back better” by taxing only the very affluent feasible? Is it wise? Could it be done more effectively?

My answer is yes to the first two questions, if you assume — as I think we should — that given the political realities Biden needs to keep his ambitions fairly modest. The answer to the third is, it’s complicated.

There are, as I see it, three main critiques of Biden’s tax approach, two of which deserve to be taken seriously.

The unserious critique is the claim that raising taxes on corporations and high incomes would cripple the economy. Assertions that prosperity depends on keeping taxes at the top low have been refuted by experience time and time again — most recently in the failure of the Trump tax cuts to deliver the promised immense investment boom.

The only reason the obsession with low taxes for the rich retains any influence is that keeping this zombie shambling around serves the interests of corporations and the wealthy. So let’s not waste time on it.

A far more serious critique of Biden’s approach comes from the left. There’s a good case that the kind of society progressives want us to become, with a very strong social safety net, can’t be paid for just by taxing the rich. A country like Denmark, for example, does have a high top tax rate (although it’s not that much higher than the effective tax rate facing high-income New Yorkers, who pay state and city as well as federal taxes). But Denmark also has very high middle-class taxation, in particular a 25 percent value-added tax, effectively a national sales tax.

And the fact that even the Nordic countries feel compelled to raise a lot of money from the middle class suggests that there are limits — much higher than conservatives claim, but limits nonetheless — to how much you can raise just by taxing the rich.

So if you want Medicare for all, Nordic levels of support for child care and families in general, and so on, just raising taxes on the 400K-plus elite won’t get you there. And many progressives — myself included — would like us to have these things.

It would, however, be incredibly risky politically to try selling members of the U.S. middle class on the idea that paying substantially higher taxes would be worth it because of all the benefits they would receive.

Would you advise Biden to take that risk — especially at a time when democracy itself is under attack? Surely it makes sense to pursue a more modest agenda, one that would still make a huge difference to American lives but that could be financed by raising taxes only on corporations and the wealthy.

But what form should those tax increases take? There are many interesting, smart ideas out there — for example, Elizabeth Warren’s proposed wealth tax — that didn’t make it into the Biden plan. There have also been technical critiques of the details of Biden proposals — and tax policy is an area where details really matter.

Oh, and it’s likely that one way or another revenues would fall short of what the Biden administration is projecting, and that as a result deficits would be larger. Given that the U.S. government can borrow at negative real interest rates, however, this isn’t a big concern.

So what is Biden doing wrong? Honestly, I can’t tell. I like to think that I know a fair bit of economics and can recognize the difference between real experts and hacks. But tax policy is really hard — partly because you’re trying to make rules that can withstand assaults from very well paid accountants — and there are seriously credible experts on both sides of the detailed tax debates. Some of my go-to tax experts are now in the administration!

What this means, I suspect, is that while some of the critiques may well be correct, Biden’s proposals are appropriate in their general thrust and probably don’t have huge flaws in their details. My biggest concern isn’t that he’ll botch important issues, it is that Democrats in Congress — some of whom are still far too deferential to moneyed interests — will water down the things he’s trying to do right.

ok but wasn't the whole reason we elected the guy that he worked in the senate for 200 years and knew how to get things done across the aisle
The primary reason we nominated the guy is that he could actually......win.

Lol Paul Krugman

We could cancel all medical debt in the nation just with the raise we gave Trump’s Pentagon

I agree that he disregarded any efforts toward bipartisanship but

1) that is the correct thing to do in this world of GOP obstructionism

2) his biggest challenge has always been with his own party anyways

and my question is

3) how do you figure it will come back to bite him? It feels as if there has been little movement among his supporters and detractors. Seems as if his presidency has been net neutral to electoral politics, generally speaking.

Biden won because Trump's antics in dealing with COVID offended midwestern soccer moms and because Biden was perceived as a palatable moderate. Biden overplayed his hand w/r/t stimulus out of the gate--middle America is already pissed that people are getting paid $300/wk in federal dollars not to work and, therefore, choosing not to--and inflation is a real concern, both of which Dems can be saddled with because the stimulus was rammed through without Pub input when we were on the verge of recovery without it.

I also think Biden’s overt race-based discrimination (SBA grants, farmer loans, etc.) is not going to sit well with middle America, particularly when it is struck down by the SCOTUS and enters the public consciousness, and, while middle America is still reckoning with the Great Awokening, midwestern soccer moms are going to draw the line at some of the more radical ideas being foisted upon them and their children, like having White skin makes someone guilty, the American revolution was fought to preserve slavery, and the concept of “work ethic” is nothing more than a stratagem to keep Black people down.

Back