• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Inflation will work itself out over the next several months also as this is a more of a short term supplied demand capacity issue that is driving it. So what we are left with is… surprise surprise white resentment cultural war issues that the republicans always push in order to try to squeak by in a national election with several million less votes than their opponents.

all compelling points and I'll cop to not having a great finger on the pulse of white Middle America, the ones who may have voted for Trump in 2016 and Biden in 2020

but with the GOP pushing their stack on Trumpism and with the next round of elections another 18 or so months away, I'm not sure all of these issues will be major factors in the upcoming elections

obviously, still a lot of time for things to change, but I'm not convinced the unemployment benefit will be an issue come fall 2022

I agree that Pubs can (and probably will) blow this by putting their chips behind Trump in 2024, but I'm not sure how much Trump is going to matter in 2022. The party in control of the presidency almost always loses seats in the mid-term, and I don't think this time around will be any different.

You might be right about the unemployment issue. Fall 2022 is a long time away. If inflation rears its head though, that is going to be a major problem for Dems.

I agree that Pubs can (and probably will) blow this by putting their chips behind Trump in 2024, but I'm not sure how much Trump is going to matter in 2022. The party in control of the presidency almost always loses seats in the mid-term, and I don't think this time around will be any different.

You might be right about the unemployment issue. Fall 2022 is a long time away. If inflation rears its head though, that is going to be a major problem for Dems.

I do think Biden's child tax credit boost will be popular with some of these swing voters and I think the infrastructure bill could too if it passes

I do think Trump vs. non-Trump is going to the theme of most every GOP primary leading into 2022 -- you can already see it near me

just not sure the Romney/McCain/Bush-style GOPers have enough votes to win primaries in a lot of states

we shall see -- I think the 2022 midterms won't be as bad as the Obama midterms, but that's just a feeling

Biden won because Trump's antics in dealing with COVID offended midwestern soccer moms and because Biden was perceived as a palatable moderate. Biden overplayed his hand w/r/t stimulus out of the gate--middle America is already pissed that people are getting paid $300/wk in federal dollars not to work and, therefore, choosing not to--and inflation is a real concern, both of which Dems can be saddled with because the stimulus was rammed through without Pub input when we were on the verge of recovery without it.

I also think Biden’s overt race-based discrimination (SBA grants, farmer loans, etc.) is not going to sit well with middle America, particularly when it is struck down by the SCOTUS and enters the public consciousness, and, while middle America is still reckoning with the Great Awokening, midwestern soccer moms are going to draw the line at some of the more radical ideas being foisted upon them and their children, like having White skin makes someone guilty, the American revolution was fought to preserve slavery, and the concept of “work ethic” is nothing more than a stratagem to keep Black people down.

Dude you should have just left it on the first paragraph even though there’s some generous stretches. For example, whitewashing Trump’s covid strategy as “antics” that “offended” people? Yeah, offended them to death and we still can’t get out completely because a third of the country is afraid of vaccines now.

The second is just Fox News spin. But I can guess which one’s going to get far more airplay. Maybe they’ll trot out the caravan again.

Also it will be hard for house pubs to run on a message of too much rammed through stimulus when so many of them are coming to their districts proudly bragging about it (even though they voted against it). Although when you don’t have a sense of shame it’s a little easier to sell that hypocrisy I suppose.

I do think Biden's child tax credit boost will be popular with some of these swing voters and I think the infrastructure bill could too if it passes

I do think Trump vs. non-Trump is going to the theme of most every GOP primary leading into 2022 -- you can already see it near me

just not sure the Romney/McCain/Bush-style GOPers have enough votes to win primaries in a lot of states

we shall see -- I think the 2022 midterms won't be as bad as the Obama midterms, but that's just a feeling

I think the dems will take a beating in 2022, for a variety of reasons:
1.The traditional lack of enthusiasm that pervades the winning political party after a presidential election;
2.The gerrymandering (excuse me, "redistricting") that is primarily in the hands of republican legislatures;
3.Voting restrictions being put into place by those same legislatures (to be clear, this is a much smaller factor than (1) or (2), but it is a factor); and
4.The static nature of the electorate- I don't think the voting population in this country can be substantially swayed by politics or policy in the current environment. There just aren't that many people who are going to be swing votes, so every election ends up being about base turnout.

When WakeBored says soccer mom, it’s quite clear he means himself

Trump is going to loom huge in the 2022 midterms. Most Republicans are going to attach themselves to him to win their primaries. Trump will be out campaigning for them in the general. Republicans are convinced they need Trump to boost turnout.

On top of all this is the ugly reality that the 2022 elections will determine the 2024 election. Republican led states are consolidating control of elections into their legislatures. Democrats need to make gains to stop their steals. If Republicans win the Senate and House, they can choose not to certify the Democrat win. They’ve already established they can do it without paying a political price. 2020 was a test run. After some initial outrage, big donors are back and Republicans are denying Jan 6 even happened.

None of this matters you guys. Trump is going to be reinstated as president in August.

I don't read Krugman's articles, but read a LRB article on his most recent books and they were positive on his leftward shift in the last three or five years away from his Keynesian roots

I also think Biden’s overt race-based discrimination (SBA grants, farmer loans, etc.) is not going to sit well with middle America, particularly when it is struck down by the SCOTUS and enters the public consciousness, and, while middle America is still reckoning with the Great Awokening, midwestern soccer moms are going to draw the line at some of the more

radical ideas being foisted upon them and their children, like having White skin makes someone guilty,

And you just told on yourself.

That post was like going to Lowe’s and looking at paint samples to see how different names there are for “white.”

That post was like going to Lowe’s and looking at paint samples to see how different names there are for “white.”

Umm, have you ever looked at the racial demographics of the upper midwest? It's like going to Lowe's and looking at paint samples to see how many different names there are for "white."

When I first heard this story I thought it was a joke - just another one of Trump's rants or rambles. But when even the National Review is saying that Trump actually does believe that he's going to be restored to the presidency this summer, that makes it more interesting. The Review's senior writer, C.W. Cooke, wrote in a major article on the National Review website that “The scale of Trump’s delusion is quite startling...This is not merely an eccentric interpretation of the facts or an interesting foible, nor is it an irrelevant example of anguished post-presidency chatter...It is a rejection of reality, a rejection of law, and, ultimately, a rejection of the entire system of American government. [Trump] is so unmoored from the real world that it is hard to know where to begin in attempting to explain him.”

According to Cooke, Trump not only believes that he'll be restored to power, but he also thinks that "he will be gifted with a Republican majority in the Senate, believing that two Democrats will be booted from Congress and replaced by the GOP candidates they defeated."

I don't really know how anyone could be surprised by what Trump thinks or believes or says at this point, but still, isn't it nice to know that he's no longer the dominant and controlling figure in the GOP? Hoo boy.

I don't think trump honestly believes that but he knows it plays with its audience and helps his grift. And the GOP is so spineless and desperate for power that even the ones who should have integrity go along with it

I don't think trump honestly believes that but he knows it plays with its audience and helps his grift. And the GOP is so spineless and desperate for power that even the ones who should have integrity go along with it

I disagree. Trump is not a leader. He just sees where the raging horde is headed and gets in front. There is a cottage industry propping him up for their own grift and political aims.

Trump is a sad man who believes what he sees on conservative media. If he wasn’t so dangerous, I’d feel sorry for him. Republicans have enough power and guile to turn their lies into reality.

None of this matters you guys. Trump is going to be reinstated as president in August.

My stepfather, visiting this weekend from Florida, gave me this line today.

He also started a sentence today with “I see a lot of Black Lives Matter signs in your neighborhood, but” which was a fun walk to the farmers market

Back