• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

This post speaks to so many blind spots all at once I don't even know where to begin, but the fact that you think our "quality of life" comes from the government is actually more sad than it is stupid; and holy shit is it stupid.

Translation: I don't have an actual refutation of your point so I'll just pretend otherwise with zero evidence.

If "how much you pay in to the government" is a measurement of how good a person you are, I've got some bad news for you.

Misrepresentation of the point of course. If you write tax law to favor the most prosperous of Americans you are a bad person. If you use your historical privilege to take advantage of access that poor and disadvantaged people don't have you are probably not that great. If you ignore your privilege and/or work to keep historically disadvantaged people with limited options you're probably pretty shitty.

Translation: I don't have an actual refutation of your point so I'll just pretend otherwise with zero evidence.

I'm cool letting the chips fall where they may. If you and Brasky are right, we'll all know it soon enough. Just in case, I'll carry on with Plan A, just in case the government doesn't "deliver me the quality of life" I aspire to. Feel free to settle for that, though.

I feel like the argument was done for BKF before where if you make like $300,000 for 30 years your federal taxes just bought the government a single tomahawk missile, during that argument it was to blow up a shack in Syria to make Trump look tough.

Misrepresentation of the point of course. If you write tax law to favor the most prosperous of Americans you are a bad person. If you use your historical privilege to take advantage of access that poor and disadvantaged people don't have you are probably not that great. If you ignore your privilege and/or work to keep historically disadvantaged people with limited options you're probably pretty shitty.

Well, as written those tax laws enabled our Lord and Savior Government create the greatest quality of life in the world (at least according to Super Great Person Bill Brasky), so which is it?

It’s fitting that Republicans will not vote for a bill to pay the Trump years’ debts. Typical borrow and spend GOP. Maybe they’re hoping global warming will burn up their debts.

Convince people to vote for your candidates and primaries then win general elections. If you have more popular ideas, get the votes to put them into action.

I think if Sinema and Manchin have taught us anything it's that direct democracy is anything but a politics of ideas. 89% of Arizona voters said if Sinema fails to enact Biden's agenda they'd be less likely to vote for her again, but it doesn't appear to make a lick of difference. Manchin opposes policies that 70% of West Virginians support, like a $15 minimum wage or free community college. This idea that there's a marketplace of ideas and politics is that marketplace is simply not true for centrist powerbrokers who want to milk Congress for a golden parachute private sector exit.

I think if Sinema and Manchin have taught us anything it's that direct democracy is anything but a politics of ideas. 89% of Arizona voters said if Sinema fails to enact Biden's agenda they'd be less likely to vote for her again, but it doesn't appear to make a lick of difference. Manchin opposes policies that 70% of West Virginians support, like a $15 minimum wage or free community college. This idea that there's a marketplace of ideas and politics is that marketplace is simply not true for centrist powerbrokers who want to milk Congress for a golden parachute private sector exit.

Exactly. PH and other centrists keep doubling down on the idea that progressives can just try harder within our current political dynamic and change things. Which is simply not true.

Progressives need to get creative and be more aggressive. The refusal to pass the infrastructure bill without the reconciliation bill is a good start. Progressives need to start holding the line.

also also it's so much more rewarding to say fuck our corpo parties and get involved with unionization/climate/neighborhood organization efforts that aren't just obsessed with voting being the limit to political action

Further to the point of the thread Ph posted with the guy talking about the 13th amendment and the Civil Rights Act, much of the political organizing behind those particular pieces of legislation was from either organized labor or organized civil action groups. There was obviously plenty of compromise to get a version of the Civil Rights Act passed, but you can't really imagine a Republican today to say something like "[Free community college is] an idea whose time has come." What you can imagine though is activists elbowing their way in to the White House via labor stoppages and civil disobedience again. Local action is infinitely more rewarding and promising than dismantling the money effect of national politics via just voting for the right guys and gals.

I listened to yesterday's On Point podcast/show about Democratic in-fighting and Ayanna Pressley made this great point:

She would not be bullied into making the false choice of choosing to assist the construction worker or someone working in child care. Workers in both fields need assistance, and they can only receive it if both bills are passed.

I'm cool letting the chips fall where they may. If you and Brasky are right, we'll all know it soon enough. Just in case, I'll carry on with Plan A, just in case the government doesn't "deliver me the quality of life" I aspire to. Feel free to settle for that, though.

The anger and hostility illustrated daily by many a Tunnels poster makes even more sense when you realize these nimrods truly believe the government is responsible for their quality of life.

Is there any wonder why there are so many miserable folks posting on this board?

The anger and hostility illustrated daily by many a Tunnels poster makes even more sense when you realize these nimrods truly believe the government is responsible for their quality of life.

Is there any wonder why there are so many miserable folks posting on this board?

you idiots sure as shit don't seem to understand what tax dollars provide

am I wrong or was your entire education not government funded?

Suposedly a lot of those policies have over 50% Republican support however those people continue to steadfastly vote for politicians who will oppose these policies and totally demonize anybody who votes for them while supporting those tactics. So it would be great if those single issue polls were indicative or prescriptive but they are neither.

Last edited:
Well, as written those tax laws enabled our Lord and Savior Government create the greatest quality of life in the world (at least according to Super Great Person Bill Brasky), so which is it?

The whole point is that it's not great for a lot of people. I've certainly benefited from the privilege that I was born with.

and you idiots sure as shit don't seem to understand who provides those tax dollars in the first place

what does that have to do with anything? you idiots don't like paying taxes in the first place because you think it's a waste because government = bad.

Back