• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

which countries are you low-tax supporters looking at that has a tax structure you prefer?

public hospitals = bad
public universities = bad
military = bad
police departments = bad
federal deposit insurance = bad
roads = bad
safe water = bad
bridges = bad
reliable power = bad
sewage treatment = bad

which countries are you low-tax supporters looking at that has a tax structure you prefer?

I don't support "low-tax" rates. I support the right amount of tax, which happens to be lower than your preference. At the moment, our tax rates are too low and too narrow. We need more taxes collected, not less. We also need a simpler code. Our current code has too many holes to be workable, fair and trustworthy.

I don't support "low-tax" rates. I support the right amount of tax, which happens to be lower than your preference. At the moment, our tax rates are too low and too narrow. We need more taxes collected, not less. We also need a simpler code. Our current code has too many holes to be workable, fair and trustworthy.

Sounds like you’re in the wrong party

Ok, then starting voting for politicians that will make this happen.

Or don't and continue to be a massive hypocrite.

i'm not bailing so maybe ease up on accusing me of trying to surrender the arg (2nd time) while I'm still engaging with you because that's not exactly a sign of good faith.

just to be clear, I was responding to Brasky personally with my posts since he was the dude fed up with trying to work with Forsyth Country Dems (an awful experience, I know it well!) and I was trying to make the dude feel a little better and I'm sorry it struck your Marvel Universe-sized-ego and you felt the need to jump in

okay a real world example about organizing and politics

if I'm talking to someone about the actual grad union campaign I'm working on and we're talking about the impact of political parties on our 2019 union election - they're probably asking me how Gov. Wolf's three PLRB appointees were able to hold and resolve the paradoxical position that (1) the University of Pittsburgh exerted undue influence on our election and (2) though PERA states that if undue influence is found there must follow "corrective action and order a new election" we don't qualify for this because it's unknown if the university's email on election day would have swayed the election.

they're not concerned about Republicans stopping their union when the university gives a union busting lawfirm $1 million a year to fight our grassroots organization efforts and the election examiner determines Pitt influenced the election because the Dem-led PLRB is already doing that.

OK. So your plan is successfully organize so elected officials can't stop you. How are you going to do that? Wouldn't the fight be easier by voting and electing Democrats who are pro-unionization?

Exactly. PH and other centrists keep doubling down on the idea that progressives can just try harder within our current political dynamic and change things. Which is simply not true.

Progressives need to get creative and be more aggressive. The refusal to pass the infrastructure bill without the reconciliation bill is a good start. Progressives need to start holding the line.

So much of this is like the first season of Survivor. Both tribes came together and one tribe just picked the other tribe off while that tribe was voting each other off. They didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. That was excusable but that show and reality format was brand new. Democrats have been falling for this crap for decades.

I'm not a centrist. You're just using that as a vague insult. I'm a progressive who thinks progressives overstate the power of organization vs. winning elections, probably because I haven't given up on progressives winning elections. I'm also scared that too many entrenched factions means nothing gets done which makes it easier for Republicans to get elected to undo any progress. The best strategy would be to get something done and run on doing more. Silly in-fighting just breeds discontent with getting 80% done because media and activists focus solely on 20%. I can't imagine being in the position to make a real difference in people's lives and refusing to do so because I didn't get everything I wanted right now.

Suposedly a lot of those policies have over 50% Republican support however those people continue to steadfastly vote for politicians who will oppose these policies and totally demonize anybody who votes for them while supporting those tactics. So it would be great if those single issue polls were indicative or prescriptive but they are neither.

Yep. And for some reason, people aren't interested in understanding why. Where is the extensive research about Republican voters who support $15 minimum wage or free community college? I suspect they're cultural warriors who aren't going to vote for Dems no matter what. There's no rule that says you can't be a white supremacist and pro-labor. Those folks aren't going to vote for a party with an over pro-civil rights platform.

Last edited:
I mean for god sakes most of your private sector types wouldn't have a fucking job right now if the U.S. government hadn't stepped in to bail your companies out in 2008 and last year.

I don’t think he actually wants any of that otherwise it would have come up, you know, anytime before now.

I listened to yesterday's On Point podcast/show about Democratic in-fighting and Ayanna Pressley made this great point:

She would not be bullied into making the false choice of choosing to assist the construction worker or someone working in child care. Workers in both fields need assistance, and they can only receive it if both bills are passed.

Listen to our man Stephen boys.

public hospitals = bad
public universities = bad
military = bad
police departments = bad
federal deposit insurance = bad
roads = bad
safe water = bad
bridges = bad
reliable power = bad
sewage treatment = bad

MENSA weeps - You might want to double check to make sure your membership is still active

Listen to our man Stephen boys.

Only getting 50% of what is possible when the Dems have power is why this country continues to slide towards being Ayn Rand's wet dream.

Fuck that shit. Joe Manchin doesn't get to set this country back another decade. Its time to stop being cowards.

OK. So your plan is successfully organize so elected officials can't stop you. How are you going to do that? Wouldn't the fight be easier by voting and electing Democrats who are pro-unionization?

Our fight -- our election -- was literally halted by the joint power of a Dem appointed labor review board and a university system that could afford it ($1 million a year vs. 800+ graduate students). So no?

Only getting 50% of what is possible when the Dems have power is why this country continues to slide towards being Ayn Rand's wet dream.

Fuck that shit. Joe Manchin doesn't get to set this country back another decade. Its time to stop being cowards.

Go burn down his house then, Brasky. Seems like you're there mentally.

Our fight -- our election -- was literally halted by the joint power of a Dem appointed labor review board and a university system that could afford it ($1 million a year vs. 800+ graduate students). So no?

Right. You can't just organize your way out of the problem without the right elected officials in place. That means voting is important.

If progressives hate how much power Manchin and Sinema have, maybe they should win more seats. Having to depend on those two is the symptom, not the cause.

Go burn down his house then, Brasky. Seems like you're there mentally.

It was a metaphor my guy.

But yes I would use every ounce of political leverage I had if I was Biden or Schumer to bring him line. There's enough smoke around his family and corporate connections to destroy his public image if enough DNC money was behind it. He can be a maverick all he wants, but he shouldn't get a dime of Democratic support, and if he's standing in the way then the party needs to run him over.

Back