• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

pretty sure you slinked away when I pointed out you didn't know how taxes worked either. A recurring trend on people who think I'm trolling.

Nope. Pretty sure I pay more taxes than you and can read proposed bracket graphs.

Nope. Pretty sure I pay more taxes than you and can read proposed bracket graphs.

You said "my bracket went up" You can read them, but I don't think you understand how they work. There is no income number you can make in which being in a different "bracket" makes your taxes go up.

We’ll see if anything actually gets passed. But some of the proposals contain a sliver of the 28 and 33 percent brackets going into higher brackets.

We’ll see if anything actually gets passed. But some of the proposals contain a sliver of the 28 and 33 percent brackets going into higher brackets.

Yes, but those people get to utilize the same benefit of decrease for all the hundreds of thousands of income that comes before they hit that sliver. People in the "brackets" you refer to are in fact that biggest winners of this tax change.

Yes, I should turn down a couple hundred bucks a month that helps 90% of americans according to all numbers so that we can make the same argument that we've tried and failed to get through for 30 years. Real smart. Need JHMD to come in with his learning about how elections work spiel.

So you acquiesce for the illusion of “help” in the short term for long term higher payments and wasted opportunity. #courage

So you acquiesce for the illusion of “help” in the short term for long term higher payments and wasted opportunity. #courage

I don't consider for 10 years to be the "Short term" and I realize when they get ready to expire they'll just do a continuance.

You're arguing with an accounting major and citing what you read in a relatively undetailed Politico article? Game/set/match. I can assure you based on what you've disclosed, your taxes won't be going up. It also seems like you don't know how taxes even work, but that's neither here nor there.

Also yes, the house plan is a little different than the Senate plan. Under the senate plan there isn't even a single sliver where the brackets are higher.

Should the Upper Middle Class Take the Biggest Tax Hit?

————
...But beyond these few exceptions, much of the upper middle class will still take it on the chin.

And maybe they should. Higher taxes on the upper middle class make sense to some liberal tax experts—but only if the proceeds are used the right way, they said, for things like better health care, more affordable college, and rebuilding infrastructure. Under the House bill, though, any new tax revenue is used to offset tax cuts—much of which will benefit the super wealthy and corporations, especially over time.

“There would be a lot of people in the country who would be willing to chip in for those goals,” said Carl Davis, research director of the left-leaning Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. In the House plan, however, the upper middle class is “going to pay more for a bill that’s going to grow the national debt, and provide the lion’s share of the benefits to corporations and their shareholders.”...
————

Should the Upper Middle Class Take the Biggest Tax Hit?

————
...But beyond these few exceptions, much of the upper middle class will still take it on the chin.

And maybe they should. Higher taxes on the upper middle class make sense to some liberal tax experts—but only if the proceeds are used the right way, they said, for things like better health care, more affordable college, and rebuilding infrastructure. Under the House bill, though, any new tax revenue is used to offset tax cuts—much of which will benefit the super wealthy and corporations, especially over time.

“There would be a lot of people in the country who would be willing to chip in for those goals,” said Carl Davis, research director of the left-leaning Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. In the House plan, however, the upper middle class is “going to pay more for a bill that’s going to grow the national debt, and provide the lion’s share of the benefits to corporations and their shareholders.”...
————

The reason for this is most upper middle class people have homes. You said you rent.

You're arguing with an accounting major and citing what you read in a relatively undetailed Politico article? Game/set/match. I can assure you based on what you've disclosed, your taxes won't be going up. It also seems like you don't know how taxes even work, but that's neither here nor there.

Also yes, the house plan is a little different than the Senate plan. Under the senate plan there isn't even a single sliver where the brackets are higher.

You seem over confident as to what will be. I’m just saying what I’ve seen.

You seem over confident as to what will be. I’m just saying what I’ve seen.

Also your second article is entirely focused on what happens by 2027 once all the tax cuts expire. They're purposely misleading. Some might call them #fakenews.

I never said I rent.

I believe you said something to the effect that "losing the interest and prop tax deductions aren't what hurts me, its being in a higher bracket"

That statement is just wrong, was my point. You're being punished for having one of those expensive liberal houses.

Also your second article is entirely focused on what happens by 2027 once all the tax cuts expire. They're purposely misleading. Some might call them #fakenews.

Kind of like having them expire in the first place just to be able to pass it in the first place

Kind of like having them expire in the first place just to be able to pass it in the first place

well when you have the democrats voting against something that will help 80-90% of their constituents, its kinda what you have to do.

All your major questions about the GOP tax plan, answered

rate-compare-600.jpg

And yes, I have itemized deductions forever. So even if I don’t get pushed into a higher bracket (35 %), I think I’m still at risk for paying more....which would be FINE with me if the extra was going to some better governing or service instead of to further line the pockets of th truly wealthy.

Sorry the graphics don’t copy/paste properly.

Last edited:
I believe you said something to the effect that "losing the interest and prop tax deductions aren't what hurts me, its being in a higher bracket"

That statement is just wrong, was my point. You're being punished for having one of those expensive liberal houses.

Yea, so I never said I rent.

Yea, so I never said I rent.

So it was just what was fucking you which you were confused by, fine. Because the extra 2% you pay from amounts over X going from 33% to 35% is more than saved earlier when you were saving 3% on most all the income before that.

Back