• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboard feature in W-SJ today

I also found the chart displaying who Al Golden's teams have beaten to be interesting. I'd imagine you would see a lot of the same thing in the [Redacted] tenure (with two exceptions in Miami and State) as well as the past five seasons under Grobe.

In the pics you'll be able to see the score as well as time remaining in the game/half.

ETA: Here is the Jacksonville attendance right about the tip. You can clearly see the score/time remaining from this view. Listed attendance was 5,619.

BZZHmd1IgAAReWi.jpg:large

Perfect shot. I would just do it with time on the clock (and perhaps the game in progress). That no one can spin it as: 'this shot was taken WAY before the game started and people had not come down to their seats yet.' If there is 17:00 on the clock or something like that and the players are running up and down the court it will be completely impossible to sidestep the reality of the empty seats.

Maybe we could make the collage a poster for next season. Be like one of those large mosaic prints except every small square would be an empty LVJM.

In the pics you'll be able to see the score as well as time remaining in the game/half.

ETA: Here is the Jacksonville attendance right about the tip. You can clearly see the score/time remaining from this view. Listed attendance was 5,619.

Might as well include the announced attendance on the upper portion of the pic, where the banners are.

If every person there had four documented and ticketed alter egos, it would be tough to reach 5619.

Do they just count the entire student section as full? I mean theoretically those seats are blocked off right? That could definitely be a reason why the numbers are so inflated.

Given my time in development and ticketing at an SEC program (with championship football history,) 3% would have been very poor. Like you said, it barely beats inflation and can account for 1 major gift, or people doing the typical 110% program to get more DC points. Keep in mind that 110% of several $500,000+ accounts is a ton. The real number that I'd like to see is percentage of accounts that went inactive, and how many new accounts started in the last 3 years compared to the previous 3. You can't spin those.

Timely post. I just got an email from the Deacon Club asking me to come back (I didn't renew last year). I responded thusly:

Thank you for your email and your work in support of Wake Forest athletics. I love Wake Forest as much as anyone, however, I will not support the Deacon Club or Athletic Department financially at this time. I reached this decision last year because of the poor performance of our flagship sports and apparent lack of commitment to fielding winning teams over the past 5 years. I am also concerned about the decision to hire Randy Casstevens to handle operations and finances, given his past involvement with serious accounting scandals at Krispy Kreme.

I regret the impact that this decision may have on the Deacon Club’s ability to offer scholarships to student athletes. Unfortunately, withholding my support of the Deacon Club and forgoing ticket purchases is the only way I can register my dissatisfaction in a meaningful way. I look forward to again supporting the Deacon Club and attending Wake Forest athletic events when the Athletic Department again demonstrates a commitment to excellence and accountability at the highest levels.

I recognize that you are not responsible for theses issues and you probably don’t enjoy getting emails like this. I hope that you will pass along the concerns I have expressed, which are shared by many other former Deacon Club contributors, to the Athletic Department.

Brian Stratton posted a reply to Hamilton's column...I am re-posting it here as it gets to the crux of the matter.....

Do you know if the Petrees or Ken Budd are aware that Ron Wellman hired Randy Casstevens as the department's Finance Director? Many folks in Winston lost their jobs and entire life savings because of his alleged stock price manipulation at Krispy Kreme. The link to your coverage of the KKD scandal is at: http://www.journalnow.com/business/article_23f0fabe-7c73-5929-9114-587e5d574713.html
I would hope that the Petree's and Ken Budd's comments would be different if they were aware of his employment in such a high level position within the university.

The campaigns are as much about "accountability" as they are "winning." A good majority of the fan base no longer believe the spin and misleading statements coming from the athletics department. After all, Ron Wellman employed Casstevens while using "culture change" and "doing things the right way" as his reasons for retaining [Redacted]. I would politely argue that promoting "culture change" while employing an alleged former "book cooker" is not and will never be the Wake Forest way.

Another example of the spin is in this story. Steve Shutt claims above that we have the 4th highest basketball attendance in the ACC. What Steve isn't telling you is that they are counting tickets sold (and many, many more given away) and not butts in the seats. Have you been to any of this games this year? I would be shocked if actual butts in the seats totaled 1,000. The fans have already voted.

I personally believe in the core values of integrity and honesty of Wake Forest University. I also strongly believe that Ron Wellman should not be allowed to trample all over those core values. I have traded emails with Dr Hatch about the spin and value conflict issues within the athletics department. He did return my emails but did nothing to address the concerns. The intent of the campaigns are not to shame the university in any way. They are to make alumni and supporters aware of what is actually going on so that they can demand the appropriate changes.

Thanks for listening and covering the story.

Go Deacs!!!

SOLID! Good job.

They definitely could have included those numbers. I don't think we'll ever know since it's a private institution. But any $500,000 to $1,000,000+ gifts to the DC or any athletics capital campaign would offset the attrition and give you the "3% increase." From my experience, you aren't supposed to count capital gifts with the regular fundraising dollars. You best bet that when the number comes out for this year that they will report major gains because of the Wake Will campaign.

Thus illustrating how easy it is for Casstevens to play number games to make those numbers reflect whatever lie his boss wants supported.

Posted for comparison, without comment: Acceptance of Mediocrity at The U .

http://www.pageqsports.com/2013/11/miamis-soft-bigotry-of-low-expectations/

Let's compare and contrast.

This is an excellent article. If I had time I would rewrite it by switching out Miami football for Wake basketball (or basketball and football?) and then substituting the appropriate WF statistics to fit the write-up. Maybe one of our Blogger So Dear contributors could take on this project for Blogger So Dear. You can preface the article something like this...

"I recently read an article about Miami Hurricanes Football that I felt basically applied almost word for word to Wake Forest Athletics. The title was "Miami’s Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations"
By Vishnu Parasuraman. So most of the credit for this excellent write-up goes to Vishnu. I simply rewrote the article to apply to Wake Forest and inserted the appropriate statistics."

Last edited:
I'd be happy to do some research related to football. Now I won't write a basketball version until after the season is over because that horse has been beaten to death and I'm just going to let this season play out. Should [Redacted] be fired? Yes, but I'm not going to write a piece like this when we're 10-3 or w/e.

There are lots of reasons to slam the AD. Drawing a bunch of bluehairs to the coaches luncheon isn't one of them.

Absolutely. A big screw you to those who think that the age of the folks at the lunch is a bad thing. Get a raise and buy some tickets if you don't like it. And the raises might come more easily if you weren't writing stupid stuff on the boards all the time. Your bosses aren't stupid.

Absolutely. A big screw you to those who think that the age of the folks at the lunch is a bad thing. Get a raise and buy some tickets if you don't like it. And the raises might come more easily if you weren't writing stupid stuff on the boards all the time. Your bosses aren't stupid.

Countering ageism with reverse ageism. I dig it!

My findings for the 2009-2012 football seasons:

Overall 19-30 (.387)

Wins

5 wins against (-8)
2 wins against (-6)
2 wins against (-4)
2 wins against (-2)
2 wins against (+3)
1 win against (+4)
1 win against (+5)
4 wins against FCS

Losses
2 against (-4)
1 against (-1)
4 against (-1)
5 against (+1)
2 against (+3)
1 against (+4)
5 against (+5)
3 against (+6)
3 against (+8)
1 against (+9)
1 against (+10)
2 against (+11)

I wish we would just post an honest billboard:

"Regrets: Wellman should not have fired Dino if he wasn't going to hire Brad Stevens".

It's not about regrets over Dino. Dino was not a good coach. He was replaced by a horrendous coach.

It means sitting back, being complacent, and reminding yourself how goddamned happy you should be with only a "kind of" losing season and a coach who at least TRIED to win a post-season game once. "LOWF" should be tattooed on these morons' foreheads.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 94Deac again.

Preach on Brother!

your mom comes easily

Back