• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Bezos' billions could pay their warehouse workers very well. But he's got billions so... he knows stuff that i don't know?!?! The reality is that there are a lot of people that have no idea the problems. Bezos is just a Tolkien dragon hoarding wealth.

Yeah but at least the robber barons collected priceless books and imported entire monasteries and stuff

Today these guys have high tech toys, like Bezos' rocket.
Also, Bezos bought the Washington Post newspaper a few years ago.

Yeah but at least the robber barons collected priceless books and imported entire monasteries and stuff

Today these guys have high tech toys, like Bezos' rocket.
Also, Bezos bought the Washington Post newspaper a few years ago.

Jessica Garland, Merrick Garland's daughter was hired by Justice Kagan as a Clerk, however due to her father's role as AG, she has to give up the clerkship. However, when she was hired in 2020 before the election, no one had a problem with the child of a lower court judge being put in a place where they may have to overrule the decision of their parent. And considering Justice Garland's position, it was likely that his daughter would have had to review one of his decisions.

Neither is a good look.

I'm fairly certain they would have put up a Chinese Wall and not allowed Garland's daughter to work on one of his decisions.

Jessica Garland, Merrick Garland's daughter was hired by Justice Kagan as a Clerk, however due to her father's role as AG, she has to give up the clerkship. However, when she was hired in 2020 before the election, no one had a problem with the child of a lower court judge being put in a place where they may have to overrule the decision of their parent. And considering Justice Garland's position, it was likely that his daughter would have had to review one of his decisions.

Neither is a good look.

Meh. A law clerk does overrule anyone. The judge does. And I assume Kagan would have either ethical walled the clerk or recused herself from any appeals where Garland was on the circuit court panel. I agree, though, that having her as a clerk while her dad is the AG would have been a problem.

Maybe daddy can make up for her missing out on that $400K SCOTUS law clerk signing bonus somehow.

Meh. A law clerk does overrule anyone. The judge does. And I assume Kagan would have either ethical walled the clerk or recused herself from any appeals where Garland was on the circuit court panel. I agree, though, that having her as a clerk while her dad is the AG would have been a problem.

Maybe daddy can make up for her missing out on that $400K SCOTUS law clerk signing bonus somehow.

She should look into a career in painting. I hear the market is scorching.

I think the bigger scandal is that Merrick Garland should be a SCOTUS Justice. That fiasco was not a good look.

I think the bigger scandal is that Merrick Garland should be a SCOTUS Justice. That fiasco was not a good look.

Maybe the Dems will revisit the Biden/Schumer rule next time they get a chance !

Maybe the Dems will revisit the Biden/Schumer rule next time they get a chance !

Yes! Looking forward to them writing legislation to repeal that law that Biden decreed in a random speech in the 1980z.

Garland is a dogshit attorney general who is repaying the GOP for not seating him by just letting Trump criminal after Trump criminal off the hook in his new gig. Dems are such absolute cucks.

Under no rationale is what was done to Garland acceptable.

Biden and Schumer wrote the rules in the rule book...what was McConnell supposed to do? The Party of law and order can't suddenly starting being selective about which rules they follow?

Under no rationale is what was done to Garland acceptable.

The party that has control of the senate lets judicial nominations that are made by the president of the opposing party lapse every chance they get. When Dems had control of the Senate in 2007-2009, they failed to bring to a hearing at least 3 of W's nominations to the Fourth Circuit alone at the end of his second term, one of which had been pending for well over a year. Those nominations lapsed, just like Garland's did. Yes, the stakes are lower for circuit (and district) court nominations than SCOTUS nominations, but let's not pretend what McConnell did was different in kind from what Dems had just done to W 8 years prior (and, probably, Pubs had done to Clinton 16 years prior, etc, etc, etc).

If the tables are turned in the future, I fully expect the Biden-Schumer-McConnell rule to have an incredible resurgence in popularity among the Dems.

Back