• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Imagine thinking—without a hint of irony—that the reason the Democrat president is unpopular is because of the media. I feel like I’m back at Memorial Stadium listening to the idiot Clemson fans behind me complaining about the officiating.

How do explain the differential between the popularity of Biden’s policy proposals and popularity of Biden himself?

Not a fan of releasing the strategic reserve to ease gas prices.

How do explain the differential between the popularity of Biden’s policy proposals and popularity of Biden himself?

Biden wasn’t elected because he was Biden. He was elected because he wasn’t Trump. His popularity was destined to wane for that reason alone, not to mention the facts that he’s always been terrible at articulating policies, he’s never been a uniter, he’s clearly not what he used to be (or needs to be) mentally, he botched the withdrawal from Afghanistan and, rather than admit the error, he doubled down on the “logistical” success, he’s governing like he has a far-left mandate despite the fact he won only 51% of the popular vote and the senate is 50/50, there’s a still-minority-but-vehement backlash against the government dictating medical care, and he’s too old, frail, and out of it to be out front as an effective leader. Put all that together with the worst inflation we’ve seen in 30 years and government spending that is mind blowingly out of control and yeah, it’s probably because the media has written a few headlines that focus on the costs of his policies.

Think we hit the majority of bullshit conservative talking points there so good job!

… he’s governing like he has a far-left mandate despite the fact he won only 51% of the popular vote and the senate is 50/50,
What a crock of shit. Biden is governing on about 20% of the policy proposals that he ran on in his campaign, and his mandate is determined by the people who voted for him. I don’t remember Trump giving any political consideration for the majority of popular votes for Hillary.

Biden wasn’t elected because he was Biden. He was elected because he wasn’t Trump. His popularity was destined to wane for that reason alone, not to mention the facts that he’s always been terrible at articulating policies, he’s never been a uniter, he’s clearly not what he used to be (or needs to be) mentally, he botched the withdrawal from Afghanistan and, rather than admit the error, he doubled down on the “logistical” success, he’s governing like he has a far-left mandate despite the fact he won only 51% of the popular vote and the senate is 50/50, there’s a still-minority-but-vehement backlash against the government dictating medical care, and he’s too old, frail, and out of it to be out front as an effective leader. Put all that together with the worst inflation we’ve seen in 30 years and government spending that is mind blowingly out of control and yeah, it’s probably because the media has written a few headlines that focus on the costs of his policies.

Almost everything you list here is a media narrative, except the magnitude of inflation, senate margin, the election margin and Biden's communication limitations. Even the inflation thing is a narrative because the causes of the current inflation spike were set in motion way before Biden ran for president but the media aren't talking about that. The media isn't the only cause, but it is part of the problem. Righties always have this false pretense that the media is skewed left, but the truth is the media is skewed towards where ever the money comes from and complaining sells about the people in power brings in money.

What a crock of shit. Biden is governing on about 20% of the policy proposals that he ran on in his campaign, and his mandate is determined by the people who voted for him. I don’t remember Trump giving any political consideration for the majority of popular votes for Hillary.

Yes, but Trump won the vast majority of land mass, so it was a literal landslide.

Almost everything you list here is a media narrative, except the magnitude of inflation, senate margin, the election margin and Biden's communication limitations. Even the inflation thing is a narrative because the causes of the current inflation spike were set in motion way before Biden ran for president but the media aren't talking about that. The media isn't the only cause, but it is part of the problem. Righties always have this false pretense that the media is skewed left, but the truth is the media is skewed towards where ever the money comes from and complaining sells about the people in power brings in money.

It's always interesting when Republicans suddenly become concerned about runaway government spending and balanced budgets whenever a Democrat gets elected president, but it never seems to bother them when one of their own is POTUS and spends money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, as did Trump, Dubya, and Reagan.

It's always interesting when Republicans suddenly become concerned about runaway government spending and balanced budgets whenever a Democrat gets elected president, but it never seems to bother them when one of their own is POTUS and spends money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, as did Trump, Dubya, and Reagan.

I get what you are saying and I am not attacking you here, but calling it "interesting" is the wrong word. It's totally and complete fucking bullshit (i.e., standard GOP fodder).

Don't disagree that the dem coalition that elected Biden as a compromise candidate that was the opposite of trump. I do love the consistency that biden has no mandate because he only won with 51% while trump lost the popular vote twice but had a mandate during his first term. Got it.

I get what you are saying and I am not attacking you here, but calling it "interesting" is the wrong word. It's totally and complete fucking bullshit (i.e., standard GOP fodder).

Yeah, I'm too polite sometimes. And they have been doing this bullshit ever since at least Clinton was in office.

Biden was not a “compromise”, he was the most well known and most trusted candidate for the largest Democratic constituencies. We didn’t compromise shit, we lost. Plain and simple.

Biden was not a “compromise”, he was the most well known and most trusted candidate for the largest Democratic constituencies. We didn’t compromise shit, we lost. Plain and simple.

Understable you feel that way but I disagree. Not many (any?) People were excited to vote for him. He was just the least threatening to many voters so the momentum for a return to status quo candidate after the trump debacle made a lot of people hold their nose and join the coalition. I do agree the right progressive candidate could have won but the big dem donors didn't want change from "centrist" to progressive. Status quo Joe!

Understable you feel that way but I disagree. Not many (any?) People were excited to vote for him. He was just the least threatening to many voters so the momentum for a return to status quo candidate after the trump debacle made a lot of people hold their nose and join the coalition. I do agree the right progressive candidate could have won but the big dem donors didn't want change from "centrist" to progressive. Status quo Joe!

Doesn’t matter if they were excited to vote for him, only matters that they preferred him over the field. That was the entire point. Bears repeating again and again that individuals vote on their own behalf, it’s only on these weird corners of the internet where the most obsessed among us pretend to strategize with one another.

Sadly the electorate is deciding is that the entire trump corrupt psycho carnival Barker shit show wasn't bad enough for the republicans to pay any real electoral price. Until that changes expect more of the same regarding governing this country

Doesn’t matter if they were excited to vote for him, only matters that they preferred him over the field. That was the entire point. Bears repeating again and again that individuals vote on their own behalf, it’s only on these weird corners of the internet where the most obsessed among us pretend to strategize with one another.

Sure. I'm just talking about the "why." Biden was the compromise candidate because people believed, right or wrong, he had the best chance of winning. Once that snowball began rolling down the mountain it forced others to get on board or risk splitting the party. At least that's what a lot of people believed. They were comfortable with name recognition and the Obama stamp.

That would be nice.

Back