• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

i thought/assumed strick was referring to Posters in his comment about crankiness

no lol

centrists run the fucking country, seemingly control many of the editorial boards of various media outlets, and win elections because of enormous establishment support

and yet, still very cranky whining about Bernie Sanders and young leftists all the time, etc.

This goddamn argument is still going on?
These guys love their victimhood they just like the couch it in me being unreasonable.

If it provides an in for general liberal centrist bashing.

Last edited:
Why do always accuse the people disagreeing with you of being angry? Is it some argument technique? What if I’m actually…i dunno, horny? Puzzled, sleepy, bored? Why angry?
I think you're generalizing. Why do you constantly pull parts of my post out of context to argue against something i am not even saying? especially when it is always making the exact same point.

The point I was making if somebody is going to blame Democrats for not getting anything done do you think that holding a bunch of performative votes that won't pass is going to be effective in motivating or converting that person?

Last edited:
HuskyDeac and birdman make sense. Nothing is being accomplished in Congress. Put everything up for a vote. Item by item. Don't equivocate. Start with gun control. Don't combine items, it gives everyone an out. If 70% of America is in favor of gun controls, give them the voting record of everyone in congress on each item. Make each member stand by their record. Focus on the issues where the public support is greatest. Concentrate on those issues. Don't equivocate. It will establish who opposes legislation voters want. If it is important to the American public, show them that these are the people in Congress to oppose with your vote if you want this issue to become law. If the Democrats can find two or three issues that their membership and the American public agree on, and demonstrate by voting record who the opposition is, they may have a campaign that works. Until then, it's the same do nothing party complaining and squabbling among themselves.

Chuck Schumer is absolutely the wrong person to be Senate Majority Leader in this climate. He is too entrenched in his ways and unwilling to change. He should carry more of the blame for all these failures than he actually does.

Chuck Schumer is absolutely the wrong person to be Senate Majority Leader in this climate. He is too entrenched in his ways and unwilling to change. He should carry more of the blame for all these failures than he actually does.

Agreed -- he really needs to go.

No question there. Democrats are led by a 71 year old from Brooklyn and a 82 year old from San Francisco who are way out of touch with the country and party.

Why do you constantly pull parts of my post out of context to argue against something i am not even saying? especially when it is always making the exact same point.

This describes an (actual) strawman argument. Much more insidious than what most of us call "strawmen" on the regular.

Never liked Sellers but didn’t know why. This is a good reason.

This is awesome.

13535008b671d92ae44d93d6ccfb1376.jpg

Never liked Sellers but didn’t know why. This is a good reason.

I have friends who know him and dislike him enough to not vote for him in the SC Lt Gov race (ended up being fairly close). Forget the details, but most of my friends from the area vote Dem.

Bruce Pearl spouted off on Twitter this week about Joe Biden, gas prices, inflation and that Biden is a terrible President. I really hope Forbes never does that because I really want to be a fan of his and his teams.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Study finds widening gap in death rates between US areas that vote for Democratic rather than Republican party

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/954985

Americans living in counties that voted Democratic during presidential elections from 2000 to 2016 experienced larger decreases in death rates than residents of counties that voted for a Republican candidate, finds a study published by The BMJ today.

The results show that the gap in overall death rates between Democratic and Republican counties increased more than sixfold from 2001 to 2019, especially for white populations, and was driven mainly by deaths due to heart disease, cancer, chronic lung disease, unintentional injuries, and suicide.

The researchers suggest that this widening gap may reflect the influence of political environments on social, economic, and health policies.

….

However, the mortality gap between white residents in Democratic versus Republican counties increased fourfold, from 25 to 101 per 100,000. As such, white residents in Democratic counties experienced 15% lower mortality rates in 2019 than white residents in Republican counties compared with just 3% in 2001.

Link to the actual study: https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj-2021-069308

Conclusion The mortality gap in Republican voting counties compared with Democratic voting counties has grown over time, especially for white populations, and that gap began to widen after 2008.

Back