• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I am telling you guys, DeSantis is a dangerous politician.

Yeah that would be a quick bullshit response survey, like when tiktok trolled the trump rally. Oh why yes I am very conservative, off it goes to them. Results are tabulated, wow Florida public universities are 100% conservative.

didn't realize it was a reply

I was just trying to post tweet #2 there

also, internet, please stop trying to make "responsiblize" a word

just memory hole it right now

that i don't think Biden was implying we don't have a right to voting but rather we have to physically fight people to vote?

The argument was that it’s irresponsible and unfair to put the onus on people (even victims per that stupid tweet reply) that they must *vote* their way out of a violent predicament when all the voters who have come before us have voted us into this violent predicament.

“He[Biden] also noted a shooting that had occurred outside Chicago earlier in the day. A gunman opened fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Highland Park, killing at least six and injuring scores more.

“You all heard what happened today. Each day we’re reminded there’s nothing guaranteed about our democracy, nothing guaranteed about our way of life,” he said. “We have to fight for it, defend it and earn it by voting.”

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

yeah, i got it after kory clarified which tweet he was trying to reference

I agree that “responsibilize” is clumsy sounding, “hold responsible for” is much clearer.

i don't think we are in disagreement on this particular issue

Yeah. There is simply no way for Biden to satisfy anyone. He has to give positive, encouraging sound bites regarding issues that he has no functional influence over, without admitting that he has no influence.

The argument was that it’s irresponsible and unfair to put the onus on people (even victims per that stupid tweet reply) that they must *vote* their way out of a violent predicament when all the voters who have come before us have voted us into this violent predicament.

“He[Biden] also noted a shooting that had occurred outside Chicago earlier in the day. A gunman opened fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Highland Park, killing at least six and injuring scores more.

“You all heard what happened today. Each day we’re reminded there’s nothing guaranteed about our democracy, nothing guaranteed about our way of life,” he said. “We have to fight for it, defend it and earn it by voting.”

On a popular vote by vote basis, the majority of voters across the country have for decades supported gun control and voted for candidates that support gun control. But because our system empowers space more that people, and because our system of life time appointments for the judiciary, those votes have been futile. We've had cities and states across much of the country, eg, DC, Chicago, New York State, etc., pass gun restrictions that the minority, through effective manipulation of voting district boundaries and judicial appointments have undermined with a gross misinterpretation of the second amendment. That doesn't make the act of voting any less futile as a response this mess, but blaming the voters that came before you for voting us into the current predicament is inaccurate. Take the 2016 senate election, Democrats, the party that generally stands for reasonable gun control measures, received nearly 11 million more votes than the GOP, but still ended up in the minority; in 2018, Democrats got nearly 18 million more votes that the GOP in Senate races, but fucking lost 2 seats in the Senate. Some fucking system we have.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

But because our system empowers space more that people, and because our system of life time appointments for the judiciary, those votes have been futile
…through effective manipulation of voting district boundaries and judicial appointments have undermined with a gross misinterpretation of the second amendment. That doesn't make the act of voting any less futile as a response this mess, but blaming the voters that came before you for voting us into the current predicament is inaccurate.

The gist of the criticism is that Democrats and liberals have historically never taken full advantage of their power when they’ve held it - that they have either been too moderate or too naive to take the extreme measures necessary to fight back the Republican Party, and that through triangulation and corruption many efforts by Democrats have reduced future potential for success.

Democrats have had control of the legislative process for very short periods duing times of duress, and they have paid the price for any progressive legislation they have tried to enact and usually find themselves splitting power within a short period of time.

Last edited:
I agree with the last three posts except I’m not sure what corruption MDMH is talking about. To birdman’s point though, within that system we managed to vote for enough Democrats to address many of those problems with our elections and they haven’t done it.

To the larger point, I’ll add that while is it is callous for Democrats to end out fundraising emails and tweets and call on people to vote in response to gun violence, it is important for us to vote. Any real meaningful change will come from overwhelming this crooked system with enough votes (in primaries and generals) to elect politicians who will actually make changes.

I agree with the last three posts except I’m not sure what corruption MDMH is talking about. To birdman’s point though, within that system we managed to vote for enough Democrats to address many of those problems with our elections and they haven’t done it.

To the larger point, I’ll add that while is it is callous for Democrats to end out fundraising emails and tweets and call on people to vote in response to gun violence, it is important for us to vote. Any real meaningful change will come from overwhelming this crooked system with enough votes (in primaries and generals) to elect politicians who will actually make changes.

Do you think anybody getting those fundraising emails/texts is actually voting because of them?

Have you been particularly impressed by institutional GOTV efforts? (DNC/DCCC vs. grassroots, that is)?

Back