• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Only in regards to what could have been if principled Republicans had stood up to Trump and his goons.

Pretty remarkable that BOJO’s downfall was appointing a known sexual harasser to a prominent position, when the gop nominated and elected then full throatedly supported the guy who was an admitted sexual assailant. Not to mention the insurrection.

Pretty remarkable that BOJO’s downfall was appointing a known sexual harasser to a prominent position, when the gop nominated and elected then full throatedly supported the guy who was an admitted sexual assailant. Not to mention the insurrection.

It was the nail in the coffin, but he was scandal ridden from day 1. Conservatives in teh UK are really nothing like the GOP in the US.

BoJo resigns! Do Americans care?

Probably not. Guy was a blowhard who rode Brexit into power, and now that Brexit is turning out to be the disaster that many thought for the UK and his administration has been riddled with scandals he's finally run out of excuses and has to resign in disgrace. Karma. If Labor can get back into power one wonders if there will be another referendum on Brexit. Both the UK and Australia have dumped their versions of Trump recently. Not that they were exactly like Trump of course (who is?) but Johnson and Australia's Morrison both rode waves of anti-elitist, anti-immigrant populism to power much as Trump did here.

FXEpcXzWIAAOE1M

Boris impregnated 5 different women who were not his wife at the time of the pregnancy. Beautiful legacy to behold.

Honestly, the guy was a clown. Everyone knew he was a clown, but they didnt care because he said he would do what they thought needed to get done at the time, ie Brexit, after the last person failed. Eventually people got tired of his constant scandals, one after another after another, and even though he was considered immune from them, eventually people just got tired of defending him. Conservatives will probably remain in power for a while, but it shows everything has a shelf life.

Also, love that the other option if he didn't resign was to "Activate the Queen" British government is Game of Thrones book at times.

Good summary here of what a POS he is/was --along with the Tories who put him up:

here's a Q for the chat thread:

are there contemporary, mainstream conservative figures who aren't complete pieces of shit?

I'm asking not because I don't think Dem luminaries aren't also by-and-large complete pieces of shit (e.g., our current Congressional leadership, the "bench" that will run for president, etc.), but rather because I can't think of a single conservative in the public sphere who is not a complete and utter piece of shit.

There is a difference between ineffective and feckless Dems and corrupt POS Republicans.

here's a Q for the chat thread:

are there contemporary, mainstream conservative figures who aren't complete pieces of shit?

I'm asking not because I don't think Dem luminaries aren't also by-and-large complete pieces of shit (e.g., our current Congressional leadership, the "bench" that will run for president, etc.), but rather because I can't think of a single conservative in the public sphere who is not a complete and utter piece of shit.

McCain? Is he contemporary though? He cheated on his first wife and most likely his second wife, but is that the kind of POS you mean. McCain even at the end made clear he wasn't a Breitbart Republican or Fox News Republican, so by today's definition he really wouldn't be a conservative.

There is a difference between ineffective and feckless Dems and corrupt POS Republicans.

of course, but both types are pieces of shit as far as i'm concerned

would love to hear responses to that question, though

it really just seems to me at least like the entire GOP just fucking sucks. back in the day, there were some folks who were true moderates and socially liberal. now, it's just a fucking cesspool.

like the kid who shot up the Jewish suburb in IL got his gun legally via his father was a Republican candidate for mayor, knew his kid was violent and disturbed, and enabled him to commit mass murder anyway

McCain? Is he contemporary though? He cheated on his first wife and most likely his second wife, but is that the kind of POS you mean. McCain even at the end made clear he wasn't a Breitbart Republican or Fox News Republican, so by today's definition he really wouldn't be a conservative.

He's the closest that I can think of... that said, while he was one of the few Republicans with integrity during the early Trump era, he ran a really racist campaign against Obama in 2012, enabled the rise of the goofy conspiratorial GOP by platforming Palin, and was probably okay with a lot of what the Trump administration stood for? Also not a great human, but that might be too high a bar to hold our congressional reps to these days...

Pretty good idea to tax pass through income over $500k the 3.8% medicare surcharge. Has been a big loophole for awhile.

He's the closest that I can think of... that said, while he was one of the few Republicans with integrity during the early Trump era, he ran a really racist campaign against Obama in 2012, enabled the rise of the goofy conspiratorial GOP by platforming Palin, and was probably okay with a lot of what the Trump administration stood for? Also not a great human, but that might be too high a bar to hold our congressional reps to these days...

No current ones would pass a 100% ideological purity test, but Romney is a decent guy.

Dems are supporting some radical insurrectionist types in hopes of slightly increasing their chances of holding power. In terms of being a POS, supporting these Maistriano types is only slightly better than being a Maistrano type, even if there is a large difference practically. Dems are run by people who are fine with risking a rapid descent into fascism because they are largely old people who won't be living with most of the effects of such a government, unlike the younger people whose votes they are aiming for.

Instead, they usually undercut grassroots efforts by pouring money in to support incumbents.

Or, as happened in Philly this year, supporting challengers with Republican backers running against progressive incumbents!

(Apologies for being a few days late to the discussion.)

Or, as happened in Philly this year, supporting challengers with Republican backers running against progressive incumbents!

(Apologies for being a few days late to the discussion.)

the same thing happened on a few LA elections that I've been working on this cycle. fortunately, we kicked some ass almost across the board.

i really don't entirely get it. if centrists want to split off and form the GOP of the 1990s, then they should, but until then idk maybe get out of the way?

the same thing happened on a few LA elections that I've been working on this cycle. fortunately, we kicked some ass almost across the board.

Same here :golfclap:

i really don't entirely get it. if centrists want to split off and form the GOP of the 1990s, then they should, but until then idk maybe get out of the way?

I'm sure it's all over the board with local politics, but here it is more about control than ideology. (Though they probably should have shown some sign of embarrassment when one of their candidates was outed as a Trump fan.)

We all ok with the fact that Ron Burgundy is our president now?

ETA: apparently Elon musk and 27000 other people beat me to this horrible joke.

Last edited:
Back