• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I know Newsom did a good job of talking about the accomplishments of the Biden administration and showing what a mess the Republican primary is, but I think the impact will be more how people will compare him to Biden in a debate. Newsom was very quick, he made his points clearly, and he went on the offensive. That is going to be the bar for Biden when he stands at the podium next time.

Biden’s first debate will be about 10 months from now.

when boomers were in their 30s (in the 70s/80s) the average interest rate on a mortgage never dropped below 7%, and for most of that period it was over 9%. Boomers have fucked up plenty of things but acting like today's mortgage rates are some kind of unprecedented burden on young people isn't really fair.

It’s not the interest rates that are killing young people in my opinion. It’s the fact that housing prices have increased upwards of 50% since 2019:

Redfin, the real estate site and brokerage, found that the national median sale price for May 2019 was $297,000. Flash forward to May 2022 and that same number increased to $431,000, which represents a whopping 45 percent increase.”

So now you need to save a way larger down payment in order to buy a place. Combine that with similarly increasing rents, and it’s damn hard to make that happen for young people.

I have no interest in making this a pissing contest regarding which generation had the toughest time, but as someone in their late twenties right now it’s damn depressing. Only people I know that own a house had significant help with the down payment from parents, and I have quite a lot of highly educated friends that feel as though they should be able to afford to buy a house and just can’t.

Thread that lays out a lot of the “economy isn’t as great as people say” thoughts in response to the Stancil dork

1701445978413.png

He kind of lost me early here. What did Biden do directly to these temporarily-retired boomers to make them poor and starving? Also curious about what percentage came back early because they couldn't make ends meet vs. other reasons. Screenshotting a single paragraph and circling it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Yeah. It’s a shitty thread throwing spaghetti at the wall. It’s a weird mix of stats, opinion, and projections. The 23 million new people (over 10 years) fighting for 4-5 million jobs (listed right now) is just stupid. Are these net 2.3 million people added to the population mostly babies or immigrants?

There’s a big difference between arguing American capitalism is killing the economy and Biden is killing the economy (and Republicans would do better). I see a lot of people arguing the former and not the latter.

Not sure he’s implicating Biden specifically by any reading of the thread, just as the first tweet suggests, the economy itself isn’t working for many participants.

Not sure he’s implicating Biden specifically by any reading of the thread, just as the first tweet suggests, the economy itself isn’t working for many participants.
Okay well then he probably shouldn't come out swinging directly at him in the first 2 or three tweets then. It immediately gives me the impression that I can't trust the rest of the stuff he's posting, as correct as it might be.

And they probably all hated being told the economy was great by the guy at the helm
So you are telling me you don't think a Dem president should tout record low unemployment, stock market at all time high, record GDP growth, navigating a high post covid inflationary period pretty much better than anyone expected..........

I guess you want to be ruled by the GOP because they certainly wouldn't play that game.

View attachment 6940

He kind of lost me early here. What did Biden do directly to these temporarily-retired boomers to make them poor and starving? Also curious about what percentage came back early because they couldn't make ends meet vs. other reasons. Screenshotting a single paragraph and circling it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Just as regards retirees re-entering the workforce, the circled paragraph cites this WaPo article, https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/05/05/retirement-jobs-work-inflation-medicare/ , which among economic concerns also suggests that Covid relaxation and flexible work environments sent people back from retirement.

I do like the mix of data and anecdote and conjecture as an antidote to Stancil’s smug “why don’t poors agree with me” approach, but I can recognize it’s not persuasive to everyone.

Okay well then he probably shouldn't come out swinging directly at him in the first 2 or three tweets then. It immediately gives me the impression that I can't trust the rest of the stuff he's posting, as correct as it might be.
I see that more as rejecting Biden’s rhetoric about using unemployment data as a lever to curtail welfare spending, but again, I understand not wanting to read on.

So you are telling me you don't think a Dem president should tout record low unemployment, stock market at all time high, record GDP growth, navigating a high post covid inflationary period pretty much better than anyone expected..........

I guess you want to be ruled by the GOP because they certainly wouldn't play that game.
Lol definitely dude

It’s not the interest rates that are killing young people in my opinion. It’s the fact that housing prices have increased upwards of 50% since 2019:

Redfin, the real estate site and brokerage, found that the national median sale price for May 2019 was $297,000. Flash forward to May 2022 and that same number increased to $431,000, which represents a whopping 45 percent increase.”

So now you need to save a way larger down payment in order to buy a place. Combine that with similarly increasing rents, and it’s damn hard to make that happen for young people.

I have no interest in making this a pissing contest regarding which generation had the toughest time, but as someone in their late twenties right now it’s damn depressing. Only people I know that own a house had significant help with the down payment from parents, and I have quite a lot of highly educated friends that feel as though they should be able to afford to buy a house and just can’t.

What is the solution to this? Build more houses, but you don’t want a house out in the sticks right?

If I wasn’t clear before, I do think Biden should be saying those things. I was directing ire at Stancil, who has an approach appealing to logic that doesn’t work rhetorically for a lot of voters. I can understand why you’d default to “you’re gonna get Trump elected” again though.

What is the solution to this? Build more houses, but you don’t want a house out in the sticks right?
Why do I have to come up with a macroeconomic solution in order to complain about the fact that the same type of house that I've been saving up to buy for my entire twenties cost $300,000 in 2019 and costs $500,000 now?

Last edited:
Props to Townie for using “anecdote” and “antidote” in the same sentence. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

Why do I have to come up with a macroeconomic solution in order complain about the fact that the same type of house that I've been saving up to buy for my entire twenties cost $300,000 in 2019 and costs $500,000 now?

hey boomers and gen x had it tough too

they’re poasting from homes they own, after all

nothing like boomers cash buying all the starter homes in our neighborhood with cash/no inspection offers and pricing out families

Back