• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I’m not so concerned about a lack of coverage as I am an utter lack of response from the left mainstream to the Fox News culture war monolith on the right. They don’t drily report the news with just the facts only based on what will get eyeballs and clicks and attract advertisers. They gin up resentment from the dumbest non stories every day as a way of intentionally distracting from matters of societal and political import. I don’t want the left to do the same thing, but the editorializing would be useful beyond the bland CNN and MSNBC extremely narrow ideologies. The inability of talking heads there to tie together a train crash with a failure of infrastructure and suppressing labor voices is kinda maddening. And I’m not saying lead with that editorializing on local 6 o clock news, but you’ve got enough slant in people like Maddow with a built in audience that you could afford to build in a little critique of capital every now and again. I understand why it doesn’t happen, and the companies that own those networks don’t really have the same ideological slant as the Fox owners do. For me, it’s easier sometimes to just say “why is nobody talking about this” when what I mean is a lot more complex.

And “support local, independent media” as a Greek chorus is so fucking funny. My transpo labor union guerilla gonzo zine substack subscription list is getting out of hand, but at least I’m on top of the issues!

It’s weird to call recency bias in news “under-reporting.”
Yeah, this is not recency bias. The situation in Ohio is still unfolding and it's changing daily if not hourly. The choice to update Americans about a bus crash in South Africa over a major toxic chemical spill and explosion that is now, as of this morning, killing killing fish in rivers and lakes in an up to 100 mile radius, is a curious choice.

The reporting and available information on this situation has picked up a lot in the last few days. And that is really good. That is, again, not the reason I posted the tweet about the explosion, I was more interested in the political assertions in the tweet relating to the undermined strike and safety failures that might be related to this catastrophe. ITK's quip highlighting the "media blackout" line sparked a lot of discussion here which is cool, but I think there are more interesting and important things going on.

I’m not so concerned about a lack of coverage as I am an utter lack of response from the left mainstream to the Fox News culture war monolith on the right. They don’t drily report the news with just the facts only based on what will get eyeballs and clicks and attract advertisers. They gin up resentment from the dumbest non stories every day as a way of intentionally distracting from matters of societal and political import. I don’t want the left to do the same thing, but the editorializing would be useful beyond the bland CNN and MSNBC extremely narrow ideologies. The inability of talking heads there to tie together a train crash with a failure of infrastructure and suppressing labor voices is kinda maddening. And I’m not saying lead with that editorializing on local 6 o clock news, but you’ve got enough slant in people like Maddow with a built in audience that you could afford to build in a little critique of capital every now and again. I understand why it doesn’t happen, and the companies that own those networks don’t really have the same ideological slant as the Fox owners do. For me, it’s easier sometimes to just say “why is nobody talking about this” when what I mean is a lot more complex.

And “support local, independent media” as a Greek chorus is so fucking funny. My transpo labor union guerilla gonzo zine substack subscription list is getting out of hand, but at least I’m on top of the issues!
i wanna hear more about this substack tbh

I mean we should always take a CEO at their word. They are being honest and truthful 100% of the time

Never blame a Republican Governor when you can blame a Democrat cabinet member.

People just need to stop using twitter at this point.

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-artificially-boost-elon-musk-tweets-053602807.html

Platformer has interviewed Twitter employees to figure out why people's For You feeds turned into The Elon Musk show, and they said the company's engineers truly did build a system that benefited their CEO alone.
The situation? President Biden's tweet about rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles got more engagement than Musk's.
Musk's issue with his tweets not getting as much engagement as he would like started before the Super Bowl, however. Platformer previously reported that he fired one of Twitter's two remaining principal engineers because he suggested that Musk's tweets aren't generating as many impressions anymore because people are no longer that interested in what he's saying.
The fix they came up with, Platformer says, is to deploy code that would artificially boost Musk's tweets by a factor of 1,000, ensuring that they rank higher than everyone else's in people's feeds. As a result, over 90 percent of Musk's 128.9 million followers saw his tweets, and even those who don't follow the Twitter owner kept seeing his posts on their timeline.

Never blame a Republican Governor when you can blame a Democrat cabinet member.

I figured Buttigieg’s office was being connected to the major train derailment aspect of the accident, not the containment of the dangerous chemical spill.

Never blame corporate America when you can blame the federal government.

Never blame corporate America when you can blame the federal government.
To a degree though, if the regulatory bodies fail to properly regulate corporate America (or actively stifle union concerns over safety), is it a corporation’s fault or that regulatory body? There’s loads of blame to go around here.

To a degree though, if the regulatory bodies fail to properly regulate corporate America (or actively stifle union concerns over safety), is it a corporation’s fault or that regulatory body? There’s loads of blame to go around here.
Can’t really capture that level of nuance in a snappy tweet

Back