• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Edwards is transferring?!?!?!

Ok so he just clearly looked the like the second best at that point in time. He was the heir apparent based entirely on what they'd seen, not because Clawson promised him the job no matter what, right?

Do you think if Edwards had stayed and continued to show promise Clawson would have had a proper QB battle or are you of the opinion that Claws likes to pick a favorite 1.5 years in advance and stick with it?
I promise if this is vague, it's not intentional.

I don't think Mitch was promised the job exiting spring '22 but when you give him the job without a competition a year ago, isn't that kind of the messaging? That was the surprising part. John Wolford got bludgeoned as a freshman and when the program started to elevate around him, he had to compete with Kendall Hinton for 3 years. Sam and Jamie battled in '18, then all over again going into '19. There was a time I was convinced there would be a QB battle entering every season.

Honestly, I have no idea if Edwards would've been given a fair shot. I think there's evidence in this thread that I thought he was bound for a G5 or FCS program. I'd like to think he would've gotten a look -- I just don't know.

Ok but Conor saying the future is Mitch is not at all the same as saying Clawson set it in stone and made promises about it. It just means at the end of the spring/that point in time he was the clear #2 option (in a beat writers eyes, he didn't even attribute that take to Clawson directly).

Beat reporters have opinions (sometimes wrong) and post them too, funny how you're willing to fully embrace a post like that one while also slamming Les and Cam for hyping up Mitch. It's just engagement, not everything is facts directly from the coaching staff (in fact, I'd bet that's under 50% of what they post about, and that's being generous).

The leaps you're willing to take to make Clawson look bad are just astounding but go off king.
There's a big difference between Conor reporting Mitch is the heir apparent and Les and Cam hyping up Mitch.

Also, I'm not one of the people slamming Les and Cam for hyping up Mitch. Your board has a search engine. Use it.

You're purposing lying about me to push your narrative.

There's a big difference between Conor reporting Mitch is the heir apparent and Les and Cam hyping up Mitch.

Also, I'm not one of the people slamming Les and Cam for hyping up Mitch. Your board has a search engine. Use it.

You're purposing lying about me to push your narrative.
😂 is there?

1695696081584.png

I promise if this is vague, it's not intentional.

I don't think Mitch was promised the job exiting spring '22 but when you give him the job without a competition a year ago, isn't that kind of the messaging? That was the surprising part. John Wolford got bludgeoned as a freshman and when the program started to elevate around him, he had to compete with Kendall Hinton for 3 years. Sam and Jamie battled in '18, then all over again going into '19. There was a time I was convinced there would be a QB battle entering every season.

Honestly, I have no idea if Edwards would've been given a fair shot. I think there's evidence in this thread that I thought he was bound for a G5 or FCS program. I'd like to think he would've gotten a look -- I just don't know.
I mean at this point it was basically either him or Kern, and was a year younger than Kern and looked better to that point too, so it wasn't too surprising they wanted to quickly consolidate around one QB (who was still only a very temporary replacement for Sam, not a true starting QB battle) just to cut down on distractions.

Geez, dude. You're trying way too hard to be antagonistic. You're at the point where you disagree with a basic common sense statement.

"Mitch is the clear starter" vs. "Mitch looks great in practice"

One is a simple fact where a player falls on the depth chart. The second is opinion (or reported opinions) about how that player performs in practice. It's a fact and opinion about two different things.

lol, ok, I'll bold the important bit from the most recent post since you chose to leave that part out in your comparison there (or you have selective reading issues, more likely) 😂

"I've written at least 20 times that Griffis was the heir apparent by the end of spring '22 -- when Billy Edwards* was still on the roster. The offense functioned better, he was getting more reps, he was the one who was preferred by most -- not all -- around the program."

i'm gonna drop it now because this has already wasted far too much of my damn energy, you have chosen your hill here and you're sticking to it, like every other argument ever on these boards #undePHeated, you win again!

I read that as Conor reporting what coaches, staff, and others in the program told him because he ended by saying people around the program preferred Mitch. Conor can clarify.

There's a certain irony in you mocking me as #undePHeated while refusing to change your opinion after a literal L.

so you took the last statement, and applied it also to the first two observations? you're a hoot 😂

also keep chuckling at you calling me antagonistic for posting a fucking meme, lighten up champ

I read that as Conor reporting what coaches, staff, and others in the program told him because he ended by saying people around the program preferred Mitch. Conor can clarify.

There's a certain irony in you mocking me as #undePHeated while refusing to change your opinion after a literal L.
Correct.

there's no L to be taken here, until Conor reports that Clawson did, in fact, promise Mitch the starting job 1.5 years later during Spring '22 and made it known to the other QBs too (running off Edwards), which is what you seem to be insinuating

so you took the last statement, and applied it also to the first two observations? you're a hoot 😂

also keep chuckling at you calling me antagonistic for posting a fucking meme, lighten up champ
That's a weird way to say I said a reporter reported.

Oh wow good to know Conor never reports his own observations/takes on thing, as he literally writes a piece called MY TAKE ON WAKE.

I see a guy literally type out "the offense functioned better" about a QB and I'm going to assume he's reporting on what he saw and observed himself in that case.

there's no L to be taken here, until Conor reports that Clawson did, in fact, promise Mitch the starting job 1.5 years later after Spring '22 and made it known to the other QBs too (running off Edwards), which is what you seem to be insinuating
The L was Saturday night. Most of us changed our opinions about the QB situation after that L. You didn't yet you mock me for not adjusting my opinions.

The L was Saturday night. Most of us changed our opinions about the QB situation after that L. You didn't yet you mock me for not adjusting my opinions.
That has nothing to do with the insinuation that Clawson promised Mitch the future starting job as early as spring of '22 and ran off Billy Edwards though

I'm also still waiting for you to tell me how my spring game #takes are actually contradictory, since most people would probably 100% agree that being good in the spring game is a necessary but not sufficient condition for being good at real game QBing, guessing I'm not gonna get those answers any time soon

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the insinuation that Clawson promised Mitch the future starting job as early as spring of '22 and ran off Billy Edwards though

I'm also still waiting for you to tell me how my spring game #takes are actually contradictory, since most people would probably 100% agree that being good in the spring game is a necessary but not sufficient condition for being good at real game QBing, guessing I'm not gonna get those answers any time soon
Do not agree. I posted in another thread that Justin Fields looked horrible in the tOSU spring game. Worked out pretty damn well (until he got drafted by the Bears). Kyle McCord this year wasn’t much better in the spring game and didn’t win the starting job until right before the season. Off to a solid start.

I’m sure there are plenty more examples across the country.

Do not agree. I posted in another thread that Justin Fields looked horrible in the tOSU spring game. Worked out pretty damn well (until he got drafted by the Bears). Kyle McCord this year wasn’t much better in the spring game and didn’t win the starting job until right before the season. Off to a solid start.

I’m sure there are plenty more examples across the country

Fair enough, I will clarify that take and then say it specifically applies to WFU or other institutions with extremely below average defenses then.. makes more sense that OSU QBs might struggle more in that regard tbh. I think those guys also a bit younger than 5th year Kern so that's another qualifier I'd throw on if I was fully fleshing out this #take.

Side note, McCord threw an absolute Mitch-level ball that final drive that should have been easily caught/intercepted, that one gave me some flashbacks to a few hours earlier.

Pretty sure I explained it in my original post.

But the other key point is you seem to think Mitch can improve dramatically in two weeks but Kern couldn't possibly improve in 6 months.

Back