• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Edwards is transferring?!?!?!

The guys said the coaches knew what that had in Edwards because they saw him in practice. My response was that coaches saw Griffis in practice too and had no idea what he actually was, so clearly there are issues about evaluating players in practice (another reason to give Kern a start).

Griffis enrolled in January 2020, so technically 4 years.

No one said you need to hit on 100%, but you are expected to have someone in the QB room in 2023 who is better than the 119th QB at this level, after having long-term stability at the position, and if not, bring in a transfer to compete. Why would a transfer not have been interested in an ACC job where the last guy just set records? Our coaches decided to stand pat and we as a team ar paying for it. (Zach Calzada, Chance Nolan, heck JT Daniels are all guys who could have been a viable option, from the portal.

I may be wrong here, but is anyone actually arguing that the coaching staff didn't absolutely blow this one (for whatever reason) or that Mitch should continue starting?

Maybe my rhetoric is stronger than most, and yes I am being a little tongue in cheek with the whole, Billy Edwards should be our starter and the coaches should have known this years ago, but if the coaching staff truly went into this year thinking we were set at QB because we had Griffis, and they truly believe that playing Griffis is still a better option than giving Kern a shot, then that is terrible. We have a QB who got sacked 8 times against Gtech and threw 3 interceptions. Gtech isn't that good. Their defense isn't that good. This isn't like our starter got injured and we are forced to play a backup. The staff planned for Griffis to play, and he is terrible.

It appears that the coaches aren't as ready to accept that Griffis is unsalvageable as Timmy Clutch and his colleagues after 5 college starts (and yes, 3.5 years in the program). Billy Edwards (BTW, he hasn't been very good in his limited time at MD; maybe, he will develop, but lets not act like WF let Caleb Williams transfer) isn't walking through that door. We will see if Michael Kern walks through that door.

As awful as the performance was against GT, think that the staff will use the next two weeks to adjust, and Griffis will use the next two weeks to learn from his mistakes. If either or both do not happen, WF is looking at a rough season. We shall see.

Also, if Griffis continues to struggle, regardless if Kern improves things or not, WF will likely look to the portal for the first time to get a QB in the off-season. Zach Calzada is now at Incarnate Word; so, if he graduates, may be WF fans will be treated to his QBing magnificence next year.

gag.gif

Last edited:
The guys said the coaches knew what that had in Edwards because they saw him in practice. My response was that coaches saw Griffis in practice too and had no idea what he actually was, so clearly there are issues about evaluating players in practice (another reason to give Kern a start).

Griffis enrolled in January 2020, so technically 4 years.

No one said you need to hit on 100%, but you are expected to have someone in the QB room in 2023 who is better than the 119th QB at this level, after having long-term stability at the position, and if not, bring in a transfer to compete. Why would a transfer not have been interested in an ACC job where the last guy just set records? Our coaches decided to stand pat and we as a team ar paying for it. (Zach Calzada, Chance Nolan, heck JT Daniels are all guys who could have been a viable option, from the portal.

I may be wrong here, but is anyone actually arguing that the coaching staff didn't absolutely blow this one (for whatever reason) or that Mitch should continue starting?

Maybe my rhetoric is stronger than most, and yes I am being a little tongue in cheek with the whole, Billy Edwards should be our starter and the coaches should have known this years ago, but if the coaching staff truly went into this year thinking we were set at QB because we had Griffis, and they truly believe that playing Griffis is still a better option than giving Kern a shot, then that is terrible. We have a QB who got sacked 8 times against Gtech and threw 3 interceptions. Gtech isn't that good. Their defense isn't that good. This isn't like our starter got injured and we are forced to play a backup. The staff planned for Griffis to play, and he is terrible.
I think the staff knows how to recruit and evaluate talent, and they are legitimately confused why Griffis isn't panning out to at least an average replacement QB. Whether or not you buy into the notion that what you do in scrimmages/spring games/practices matters as far as evaluating guys, the staff clearly trusts what they see and figured Griffis suited our needs.

It's now time for them to figure out how to fix the issues he has, or go to the next man up.

It appears that the coaches aren't as ready to accept that Griffis is unsalvageable as Timmy Clutch and his colleagues after 5 college starts (and yes, 3.5 years in the program). Billy Edwards (BTW, he hasn't been very good in his limited time at MD; maybe, he will develop, but lets not act like WF let Caleb Williams transfer) isn't walking through that door. We will see if Michael Kern walks through that door.

As awful as the performance was against GT, think that the staff will use the next two weeks to adjust, and Griffis will use the next two weeks to learn from his mistakes. If either or both do not happen, WF is looking at a rough season. We shall see.

Also, if Griffis continues to struggle, regardless if Kern improves things or not, WF will likely look to the portal for the first time to get a QB in the off-season. Zach Calzada is now at Incarnate Word; so, if he graduates, may be WF fans will be treated to his QBing magnificence next year.

gag.gif
So I brought up Calzada because his 2021 stats weren't bad at A&M he went 6-4, he actually chose Incarnate World because the Offensive Coordinator is one of his former coaches from A&M Connor McQueen. He isn't doing badly this season, albeit at a lower level.

Backup Quarterback really is the most popular position on every football team
This is such a trite saying. If things are going right, people could care less about this "most popular position."

from conor last fall when hartman had the blood clot. does seem to support ph’s argument.
The future of the position has been Mitch since the spring. Along with the comparable reasons listed above, he's just got some leadership and calmness to him that makes him the clear-cut choice. The spring game was a bad showing but man, now that that thing is on TV, Clawson is going to show NOTHING substantive in those.

I would add, Tigerswood, there was a bit of a philosophical shift in that season. Remember to that point, Wake's defense was strong (Elko for 3 years and the start of '17 was actually decent defensively). Their "formula" for winning games was still lean on the defense, get enough from the offense. The wheels came off of the defense in the post-bye game at GT and I think the philosophy shifted to "fuck, we've gotta outscore Lamar instead of relying on our defense to stop him."

from conor last fall when hartman had the blood clot. does seem to support ph’s argument.
That's a Conor quote not a Clawson quote though.

Also could easily read that as once Edwards transferred out there was no other legitimate competition for Mitch as QB2 on the roster.

LOL at “Conor quote” as if he’s making up conspiracy theories. Conor is one of the few reporters who actually cover this program.

LOL at “Conor quote” as if he’s making up conspiracy theories. Conor is one of the few reporters who actually cover this program.
Ok but Conor saying the future is Mitch is not at all the same as saying Clawson set it in stone and made promises about it. It just means at the end of the spring/that point in time he was the clear #2 option (in a beat writers eyes, he didn't even attribute that take to Clawson directly).

Beat reporters have opinions (sometimes wrong) and post them too, funny how you're willing to fully embrace a post like that one while also slamming Les and Cam for hyping up Mitch. It's just engagement, not everything is facts directly from the coaching staff (in fact, I'd bet that's under 50% of what they post about, and that's being generous).

The leaps you're willing to take to make Clawson look bad are just astounding but go off king.

Ahh, so here goes ... trying to write a My Take this week and want to rewatch the GT game (about to start), so I'm not going to dive too far into this.

I've written at least 20 times that Griffis was the heir apparent by the end of spring '22 -- when Billy Edwards* was still on the roster. The offense functioned better, he was getting more reps, he was the one who was preferred by most -- not all -- around the program.

(* Irony of the last month is my main takeaway watching Edwards was that he had horrible pocket presence.)

If the staff didn't feel Griffis was the future, there would have been a competition last August when Hartman was out with the blood clot. But they named Griffis the starter that day, still 3-4 weeks away from the opener. I thought that was surprising -- but not really, because there was separation between Griffis and Kern in the spring.

Obviously the last 4 games change perspective. Is Griffis just a good 7-on-7 QB? Maybe. Does WF miss Donavon Greene more than I thought they would? Hell yes. Is Wake's O-line somewhere between average and subpar? I've thought that for two years.

I think Griffis starts at Clemson. I wouldn't be shocked if it's Kern.

Ahh, so here goes ... trying to write a My Take this week and want to rewatch the GT game (about to start), so I'm not going to dive too far into this.

I've written at least 20 times that Griffis was the heir apparent by the end of spring '22 -- when Billy Edwards* was still on the roster. The offense functioned better, he was getting more reps, he was the one who was preferred by most -- not all -- around the program.

(* Irony of the last month is my main takeaway watching Edwards was that he had horrible pocket presence.)

If the staff didn't feel Griffis was the future, there would have been a competition last August when Hartman was out with the blood clot. But they named Griffis the starter that day, still 3-4 weeks away from the opener. I thought that was surprising -- but not really, because there was separation between Griffis and Kern in the spring.

Obviously the last 4 games change perspective. Is Griffis just a good 7-on-7 QB? Maybe. Does WF miss Donavon Greene more than I thought they would? Hell yes. Is Wake's O-line somewhere between average and subpar? I've thought that for two years.

I think Griffis starts at Clemson. I wouldn't be shocked if it's Kern.
Ok so he just clearly looked the like the second best at that point in time. He was the heir apparent based entirely on what they'd seen, not because Clawson promised him the job no matter what, right?

Do you think if Edwards had stayed and continued to show promise Clawson would have had a proper QB battle or are you of the opinion that Claws likes to pick a favorite 1.5 years in advance and stick with it?

Have to think that dook didn't get GameDay, rather nd got it two weeks in a row.

Too many good storylines to play up for them to pass on this.

Elko coached at ND. Hartman hasn’t lost a game since he last played at Wallace Wade. Duke in basketball is the equivalent of ND in football, etc.

Back