• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Probably the best thing to happen in 2016. Alala's (Hawaiian Crows) were reintroduced into the wild in Hawaii for the first time since 2002, when a previous reintroduction attempt failed. They were driven extinct in the wild in the 1990s but have healthy captive populations at the Sandiego zoo and other sites.

https://www.facebook.com/alalaproject/videos/1337446596327136/

Well, that was short lived:
http://www.hawaii247.com/2016/12/27...ught-back-into-aviary-after-three-found-dead/

Birdman, if you haven't seen Birdemic: Shock and Terror, you really need to check it out.

Had a bird stuck in the grille of my SUV this morning. Theres also a bird that chills under the overhang on my front porch. Scares me often when walking in at night. Weird place to chill since there's no place for a nest

What’s killing the world’s shorebirds?
http://www.nature.com/news/what-s-killing-the-world-s-shorebirds-1.21232?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews
The birds cannot, however, outfly the threats along their path. Shorebird populations have shrunk, on average, by an estimated 70% across North America since 1973, and the species that breed in the Arctic are among the hardest hit1. The crashing numbers, seen in many shorebird populations around the world, have prompted wildlife agencies and scientists to warn that, without action, some species might go extinct.

Although the trend is clear, the underlying causes are not. That’s because shorebirds travel thousands of kilometres a year, and encounter so many threats along the way that it is hard to decipher which are the most damaging. Evidence suggests that rapidly changing climate conditions in the Arctic are taking a toll, but that is just one of many offenders. Other culprits include coastal development, hunting in the Caribbean and agricultural shifts in North America. The challenge is to identify the most serious problems and then develop plans to help shorebirds to bounce back.

Last edited:
I know that Chic doesn't love Starlings, but these birds (in their native Europe) are capable of some amazing aerial displays.

I hunted a place that is the biggest blackbird roost in SC this weekend. Unbelievable sound when they get up and start moving to their feeding/loafing grounds for the day. Multiple flocks of what I estimate to be over 50k birds. Maybe more.

I'm headed to Ecuador and the Galapagos for the next 3 months with one of my objectives being to compare and contrast bird watching there and in Costa Rica. I'm unfortunately not that into birds...

I'm headed to Ecuador and the Galapagos for the next 3 months with one of my objectives being to compare and contrast bird watching there and in Costa Rica. I'm unfortunately not that into birds...

There's literally no difference in the birds at the Galapagos.

I am really looking forward to the pics. Say hello to Espanola for me.

Wow, dude. Have fun post pictures.

Great tweet? or Greatest tweet?

Back