• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Geolocator derived migration pathway for a red knot (one of the birds I study) that was captured in Argentina, passed through Delaware Bay on its way to the breeding grounds in Arctic Canada and then headed back south to Chile. The birds weigh ~180 grams and make an annual migration of about 18,000 miles round trip.

So there's at least one bald eagle hanging out in the park near my house. There have been sightings of another bald eagle at a park a little closer to downtown - not sure if it's the same bird or not, but still pretty fucking cool to see an eagle in the middle of Denver. We went out and found him a couple of weekends ago - seemed like the eagle got chased out of one tree by a gang of blackbirds that were flying really close to him and took up residence all around the eagle when he found a new tree to hang out in. A couple of the blackbirds kind of buzzed the eagle as it was chilling in this new tree, but eventually most of the blackbirds flew off and left him alone. Watched the eagle for about 20 minutes #nature

So there's at least one bald eagle hanging out in the park near my house. There have been sightings of another bald eagle at a park a little closer to downtown - not sure if it's the same bird or not, but still pretty fucking cool to see an eagle in the middle of Denver. We went out and found him a couple of weekends ago - seemed like the eagle got chased out of one tree by a gang of blackbirds that were flying really close to him and took up residence all around the eagle when he found a new tree to hang out in. A couple of the blackbirds kind of buzzed the eagle as it was chilling in this new tree, but eventually most of the blackbirds flew off and left him alone. Watched the eagle for about 20 minutes #nature

Chaffee Park?

I saw the eagle in Wash Park; hangs out in the North East corner near the fire station. I've read other reports of a bald eagle seen at City Park.

They are in many of the parks out here which is pretty cool. It never gets old seeing them fly around the parks.

On my run I saw birds going back and forth between trees, in what seemed to be a never ending cycle. Why?

Got some more birds on the camera. They look pretty dumb and/or angry, even for birds.

This one was snapping at everyone. Doesn't play well with others.
e1buc6.jpg

These guys couldn't see anything at their feet.
2aklgn7.jpg

And I completely missed my focus on this shot and he flew off before I adjusted.
dfirrp.jpg

This isn't even a bird I don't think.
33ylw91.jpg

Birdman, how comes those flamingos in the latest episode of planet earth II just chill in the water overnight while it freezes and are stuck there til it thaws the next morning? Seems pretty uncomfortable imo.

Birdman, how comes those flamingos in the latest episode of planet earth II just chill in the water overnight while it freezes and are stuck there til it thaws the next morning? Seems pretty uncomfortable imo.

I am not a flamingo expert (and I have not seen the footage you are talking about), but lots of wading birds have counter current blood flow in their legs to generate heat exchange, transferring heat from the blood that flows down the legs to the blood that is flowing back up the legs keeping the extremities (ie, the lower legs and feet) cold. Thus, it is quite possible that the flamingos can't tell that the water has dropped below freezing and solidified until they try to move.

[video]http://metro.co.uk/video/the-amazing-flamingos-planet-earth-ii-1357853/?ito=vjs-link[/video]

birdman, is it true that if enough turkeys circle up Zuul can open the gate and call Gozer to wreak destruction on humanity?

eta: thx chupe

Last edited:
I think you mean Gozer the Gozerian, also Gozer the Destructor, and later Gozer the Traveler.

Not too many days I get to make two Gozer refs. Gotta be a good sign.

Birdman what are those turkeys doing???

My guess is they are either playing ring around the Rosie, or, Bobcats are serious turkey predators and this flock of turkeys stumbled upon what looked like, to them, a bobcat laying in wait to pounce. They were too afraid to turn their backs, but wanted to keep an eye on the cat, so the formed a circle. It is a bit like how when some birds encounter a predator they give an alarm call and all the other birds in the area come to the spot of the alarm call so they can see where the predator is and what it's doing.

Back