• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

This may have been covered in the prior 26 pages, but how in the hell are Canadian geese still illegal to kill? Those flying crap machines are everywhere and afraid of nothing.

You can hunt Canada Geese. Most of them are non-migratory golf course Geese. They're really poor table fare, so I usually give them a pass.

PETA go after researchers all the time. It's fucking stupid. One of the most stupid parts of my job is having to file IACUC protocols for every project. My colleague has a wild turkey project where the ultimate goal is to help the State of AL increase the number of turkeys for hunters to shoot, that is they want to kill more animals with bullets. Yet, my colleague has to file dozens of pages of protocols to the IACUC committee to get permission to track turkey nest survival and put radio tags on the hatched chicks. Wouldn't want to hurt the turkeys that are only there for hunters to shoot.

There's a big stink down here about the USFS's growing season controlled burn implementation and wild turkey nesting.

You can hunt Canada Geese. Most of them are non-migratory golf course Geese. They're really poor table fare, so I usually give them a pass.

Since the species is migratory and regulated by the international migratory bird treaty, there is seasonality and regulations to hunting. The migratory population was actually in decline for a long time so harvests were restricted. Part of that decline is because many birds were settling down as residents in the increasingly highly modified habitats of the eastern US (i.e., ~200 years ago >90% of the US east of the Mississippi was forested, now it Agriculture, golf courses, athletic fields, etc.), though, a lot of municipalities in the East intentionally introduced a non-migratory race, endemic to Wisconsin and Minnesota, a few decades ago because they thought the geese would add character to city parks and duck ponds. Most towns are doing one of 4 (or more) things to address Canada geese over populations: 1) breeding season round ups - that is, rounding up individuals during the summer when migratory stocks are in the arctic, but this is tricky because some juvenile migratory birds are non-migratory for the first couple years of life; these guys live for 20 or more years and don't breed until there 3 or 4 and therefore many of the young ones don't bother to migrate. Basically you can find nests capture the adults and cull them but you need lots of permits. 2) Finding nests and destroying them or shaking the eggs to limit reproduction of resident populations and eventually they will decline but it is a slow process because like I said the adults can live for decades. 3) using chase dogs to behaviorally control where the geese are hanging out to minimize the amount of goose shit on football fields and golf courses . 4) do nothing. I suspect that the growth of coyotes populations in the eastern US in recent years, especially in urban settings, will help address this problem, because coyotes are good at eating birds and bird nests.

I'm writing about sparrows right now. Do sparrows fall out of the sky a lot or is that just a biblical metaphor?

Also, this thread reminds me of my glorious victory over ChicDeac wherein I proved that those shitbirds can be Canada Geese or Canadian Geese. I knew I spent the better part of a decade in the library for a reason.

Weird, it was almost exactly a year ago today.

Rereading my argument, it appears that according to Linnaeus Canada/Canadian Geese should actually be called "Ducks of Canada".

Because, birds are the BEST!
I wish I'd remembered to bust out my cool knowledge gleaned from this thread like about how birds can poop while they fly and poop while they do really anything.

Are blind birds the reason why pigeons shit on people walking by statues in big cities?

OK...I have noticed that surfers never have bird shit on them.

Are blind birds the reason why pigeons shit on people walking by statues in big cities?

I would imagine pooping on a person would require pretty good eye site and a decent understanding of projectile physics, e.g., friction, wind displacement, target movement, etc. Either that, or, pigeons in the city eat a lot of crappy food (processed bread, french fries) and therefore poop a lot, getting occasionally lucky enough to hit a person. I.e., they are volume shooters but probably have low accuracy.

I would imagine pooping on a person would require pretty good eye site and a decent understanding of projectile physics, e.g., friction, wind displacement, target movement, etc. Either that, or, pigeons in the city eat a lot of crappy food (processed bread, french fries) and therefore poop a lot, getting occasionally lucky enough to hit a person. I.e., they are volume shooters but probably have low accuracy.

I was thinking they were shooting for the statues and missed. Sort of like an Andre Drummond FT. Wind could be a factor.

Could be because they spend so much time in the ocean. Waves wash off poop pretty easily.

We see them walking to and from the ocean. Maybe the wet suits are a factor. You have to wear wet suits in this cold water.

Back