• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

I spent the afternoon with a team of folks banding shorebirds yesterday. Super fun afternoon.

Oajnjzj_d.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a tagged ruddy turnstone. It's a bit blurry, but I took this photo with my iPhone through my spotting scope.
kB6hJv2_d.jpg

Last edited:
Bird Thread 1: About Birds !

Opened my garage door today and a bird flew in and into a window and died. Didn't even seem to hit that hard. I thought it was stunned and would wake up but it died. Was kind of sad. Did some chest compressions to no avail. Poor fella.

Opened my garage door today and a bird flew in and into a window and died. Didn't even seem to hit that hard. I thought it was stunned and would wake up but it died. Was kind of sad. Did some chest compressions to no avail. Poor fella.

VacantDismalDarklingbeetle.gif

Birds have hollow bones (it's a weigh reduction thing to make flying easier) and can pretty easily crack their skulls or break their necks. Bird bone evolution did not anticipate glass windows.

Sorry for the giant zapruder like photo. It flew away before I could get closer. I am guessing this is some sort of woodpecker.

iuFvmvZ.jpg

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for the giant zapruder like photo. It flew away before I could get closer. I am guessing this is some sort of woodpecker.

iuFvmvZ.jpg

I don't think that is a woodpecker. Where are you located (approximately) and what is the date of the photo, geography and season can be big clues...That looks a bit like a Smith's longspur, but the colors are't quite right. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Smiths_Longspur/id

one time i found an awesome but dead kingfisher with a small fish speared on his beak; i could only think he smashed his head into the nearby electric pole b/c it seemed to have just happened. i stuck it in our freezer but no taxidermist would do it for me because they're endangered or something

incidentally, we also had a red-bellied woodpecker also in the freezer that had flown into a large picture window. no one would stuff that one either! had to get rid of them both, sadly

Last edited:
one time i found an awesome but dead kingfisher with a small fish speared on his beak; i could only think he smashed his head into the nearby electric pole b/c it seemed to have just happened. i stuck it in our freezer but no taxidermist would do it for me because they're endangered or something

incidentally, we also had a red-bellied woodpecker also in the freezer that had flown into a large picture window. no one would stuff that one either! had to get rid of them both, sadly
You could easily have done your own study skin. youtube that ish next time.

Back