• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blue Apron

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
So like many other white people, someone (a white person) tapped Wife and me to receive a free week of meals from Blue Apron. I wasn't interested in continuing on or paying for it, mostly because with 2 little kids it's really difficult to spend 30-45 minutes preparing a nice meal on a weeknight while they're being dickheads to each other and just generally freaking the fuck out. Also, it results in more dishes to wash, and holeey shit do I hate washing dishes.

Friends, let me tell you, the food has been so good and the experience so nice and different, we've actually stayed with it for like 4 more weeks and I'm not sure how we'll quit and go back to our boring routine food. So I post only to say that if you like food and certainly if you're married without kids, you should try this.

That is all. I promise I was not paid to make this post.

How does it compare price-wise to grocery shopping?

We disliked it. The food took so long to prep. I got it as a new baby gift which was very thoughtful, but just no. I don't have that kind of time to prepare dinner (that was too fancy for like 4/5 of my family anyway). So, all that to say, I am glad it worked for you say hey and if someone knows of a less fancy/less intensive prep time option that's similar, it's so something I wanted to love, let me know about it.

It works out to $10/meal per person. Includes everything you need (kinda cool how they pack it all up).

$10/person per meal (3 meals a week)

you can definitely save if you grocery shop but Blue Apron gives you the proper amounts and usually some funky ingredients that you'd have to buy whole bottles or bunches of. We save money because of the waste due to poor planning or shifting schedules that let stuff go bad, which was on us but whatever. The other huge plus is the planning it saves. I get three interesting and fun to cook meals for the week.

chic is right, Blue Apron in particular is a little time/prep intensive if you're either new to cooking or not into it. lots of chopping and multi-tasking to execute in 30-40 min window.

I tried it for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Now I just buy the ingredients cheaper at the store and alter the recipe a bit so I don't have to so much work/spend as much. That's worked out well too.

I would recommend it to anybody to at least try it.

I've often considered it because as much as I love cooking and put time and energy into it, I frequently fall into ruts of cooking the same shit 3 nights a week.

My issues with it are two: I can't really get packages delivered to my house, so I'd either have to get them delivered to my office and then lug them home AND I like my CSA too much to forego cooking with all the veggies we get.

May try it out though, I've heard lots of positives.

We disliked it. The food took so long to prep. I got it as a new baby gift which was very thoughtful, but just no. I don't have that kind of time to prepare dinner (that was too fancy for like 4/5 of my family anyway). So, all that to say, I am glad it worked for you say hey and if someone knows of a less fancy/less intensive prep time option that's similar, it's so something I wanted to love, let me know about it.

Like I said, definitely challenging logistically with 2 little kids, so kind of a testament to how good the food has been that we don't want to quit. The DINKS on this board should be all over this.

I've often considered it because as much as I love cooking and put time and energy into it, I frequently fall into ruts of cooking the same shit 3 nights a week.

My issues with it are two: I can't really get packages delivered to my house, so I'd either have to get them delivered to my office and then lug them home AND I like my CSA too much to forego cooking with all the veggies we get.

May try it out though, I've heard lots of positives.

i think you would

30 -45 mins is the bare minimum we spend every weeknight cooking dinner (when we cook). There are only a couple of things we make that are under 30 mins from start to finish. I would try Blue Apron but for the delivery problem I have at home (if left on the porch, it will disappear within minutes).

What are y'all making that takes substantially less time than at least 30 minutes start to finish anyway?

My wife and I liked it
I believe it's at worst a break even compared to grocery shopping IMO but you don't have to go to the store, which is a plus. (if you're a shrewd shopper then it's probably cheaper to shop once you have the meals you like, but I don't like putting that much thought into it, so blue apron's portioning is helpful)
I am a pretty good cook for a layman, so I do most of our cooking.
Meal prep can take a little longer than they advertise, but once you get proficient in chopping and prepping veggies and such, the times come down to what they predict, or close to it.
The food is pretty good and almost as importantly, fairly different. It gets you eating different things and cooking with unusual ingredients that most people (myself included) are fairly ignorant of.
We have a 6 month old and don't do it nearly as much as before the baby, but when he gets older I bet we move back to buying blue apron a week or two a month.

I'll give it another positive review; J and I did it for about a year and really enjoyed it - the recipes are all delicious (and we were only getting the vegetarian options), and if you have the luxury of time in the evenings and don't mind food prep, it's pretty sweet. Not the cheapest option out there (compared to just grocery shopping for yourself) but it was fun to do and I'd usually select down so we only ended up receiving one box per month.

I wouldn't mind trying it, but even though I'm a loner single type with plenty of time on my hands, the prep time intimidates me and I would have to sharpen up my veggie cutting skills substantially. I also don't have a dishwasher and get lazy with dishes. So basically I'm lazy. That doesn't seem like a really good excuse. I'll consider it.

Back