• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blue Apron

I dig these meal subscription services. I may be in a little deep right now though. I have four different services I look at each week (plated, blue apron, hello fresh, and sun basket) and pick one based in the recipes and pause the others.

The time savings and interesting variety are definitely worth it for us (DINKs).

I too live super close to a grocery store so I'm all about making micro trips during the week, even if just to pick up a couple of pints of Halo Top (I go through those real quick).

I used to like grocery shopping too....until I moved to Manhattan. It's hell here

I too live super close to a grocery store so I'm all about making micro trips during the week, even if just to pick up a couple of pints of Halo Top (I go through those real quick).

So it's good? I've purposefully avoided it...

I'm also a fan of the grocery store. I like the "% savings" summary at the bottom of the receipt... it behooves me to basically buy the exact same thing every time I go to the store and use my safeway card, because all of my special savings and coupon offers end up being very focused on the things I actually buy.

So it's good? I've purposefully avoided it...

I'm also a fan of the grocery store. I like the "% savings" summary at the bottom of the receipt... it behooves me to basically buy the exact same thing every time I go to the store and use my safeway card, because all of my special savings and coupon offers end up being very focused on the things I actually buy.

The answer is more complex than you probably were hoping for when you posed that question. It's good for what it is. Compared to Ben & Jerry's, Gelato Fiasco, Talenti or whatever local brands are available to you, no, it's not in their league, not even remotely, as far as taste goes.

I would put it comparable to the grocery store brand. At least their non-super premium brand (for example, Wegman's super premium is comparable to B&J). I'd put it a slight notch below say, Breyers or Friendly's.

Where Halo Top stands out though, is nutritionally. Consuming a whole pint is tantamount to eating a Quest bar. One pint has between 240 to 280 calories, 24g protein and 20g fiber.

If I may ask, why you have been purposefully avoiding it? A serving (1/2 cup) is completely harmless and, from my perspective, beneficial. If, at the end of the day, I find myself behind on either protein or fiber goals, I just keep chowing down on Halo Top until I get there. Fair warning though, it's not cheap, in fact now that I think about it there is only one brand more expensive to me (Gelato Fiasco).

The day I have fiber goals is the day I've officially become an OWG.

Do any grocery stores offer a similar meal in a box option? You'd think there was a model out there that could work.

I'm really interested in doing this - last year my neighbor broke her arm and gave me a week's worth of Blue Apron, which was great - but I'm allergic to wheat. Do any of these services have gluten free options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The day I have fiber goals is the day I've officially become an OWG.

I'd love to see any evidence that fiber is optimal only for certain ages, races and/or genders. What I've read provides guidance of recommended amounts even to young children, but I haven't seen anything specified for gender or race.

If you're just being willfully ignorant to be "too cool for school" then I suggest learning some fundamentals of nutrition. I wish I had before I officially became an "OWG".

The answer is more complex than you probably were hoping for when you posed that question. It's good for what it is. Compared to Ben & Jerry's, Gelato Fiasco, Talenti or whatever local brands are available to you, no, it's not in their league, not even remotely, as far as taste goes.

I would put it comparable to the grocery store brand. At least their non-super premium brand (for example, Wegman's super premium is comparable to B&J). I'd put it a slight notch below say, Breyers or Friendly's.

Where Halo Top stands out though, is nutritionally. Consuming a whole pint is tantamount to eating a Quest bar. One pint has between 240 to 280 calories, 24g protein and 20g fiber.

If I may ask, why you have been purposefully avoiding it? A serving (1/2 cup) is completely harmless and, from my perspective, beneficial. If, at the end of the day, I find myself behind on either protein or fiber goals, I just keep chowing down on Halo Top until I get there. Fair warning though, it's not cheap, in fact now that I think about it there is only one brand more expensive to me (Gelato Fiasco).

You answered yourself.
I like ice cream for what it is - a delicious treat. I don't need to buy something more expensive than I would normally buy with the intent to eat it a pint at a time. I'd rather spend $5 on a pint of delicious real ice cream and nurse it over the course of a few days.

Our evil Facebook overloads have been monitoring our conversation and just floated this to me as a "suggested post." Anyway, looks pretty good, some different dietary options available, too.

http://www.sunbasket.com/

ETA - ah, see it has been mentioned already.

Home Chef owns Blah Apron. Produce is much fresher and options are much better.

PM me if you want a $30 referral.

Check out ModPaleo.com for meal delivery. NC company committed to health and local ingredients

Back