• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobknightfan's Take on GT Game

God there is so much dumb in this post. First of all, of course mid-major programs would bring in 5-stars if they could, but they can't, and that is why they are mid-majors. Those teams sometimes make runs occasionally with very veteran teams of well-coached over-achievers, and that is not the norm. That will not work in a power conference.

Here is the point I am trying to make:

Yes, WF is in a "power conference". However, WF really feels more like a mid-major program than like a power conference program in many ways...size, ability to recruit for top players, etc. And I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I realize that saying this bruises a lot of egos, but it's the truth. We should use the advantage of being in a power conference, while at the same time having a strategy of competing for 3 & 4-star players...even guys who may wind up being 5-star players...but avoiding the Greg Oden-syndrome of going after guys are are lock-sure bets to leave after 1 or 2 years. I'm not saying that none of these guys we should be recruiting won't surprise by developing quickly enough that they leave early....like Jeff Teague, for example....but I think it is counter-productive to waste your time trying to compete with Kentucky for guys like Kentucky has been recruiting since Calipari arrived there. And being in a power conference could give us an advantage with mid-majors when it comes to recruiting this type of player like the Butlers are going after.

I think that Tony Bennett is already using this approach at Virginia.....and it is working very well for him. With the right coach, it would work very well for Wake Forest, too.

still waiting to finish this year, but not exactly setting the world on fire:
Virginia 15–16 5–11 T–9th
2010–11 Virginia 16–15 7–9 T–7th
2011–12 Virginia 22–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2012–13 Virginia 23–12 11–7 T–4th NIT Quarterfinals
2013–14 Virginia 17–5 8–1

Back