• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boehner Stepping Down at End of October

I've gotta hand it to Boehner, I dislike most of his policy objectives and his world view, but he orchestrated a pretty amazing exit from the speaker chair. It looked like a total cluster fuck at first, but Wrangor was right no one will remember that...in fact he'll most likely just be remembered for his last few weeks as speaker rather than the wildly ineffective 4.9 years leading up to them.

When Ryan was installed as Speaker, Pelosi leans in to give Ryan a hug and he backs off and shakes her hand. Wanted zero part of a photo literally embracing Pelosi. He's in an extremely safe seat, but he doesn't want that photo used against him down the line. Bubba was completely stone faced when he was forced into a photo op in North Korea while freeing hostages.

When Ryan was installed as Speaker, Pelosi leans in to give Ryan a hug and he backs off and shakes her hand. Wanted zero part of a photo literally embracing Pelosi. He's in an extremely safe seat, but he doesn't want that photo used against him down the line. Bubba was completely stone faced when he was forced into a photo op in North Korea while freeing hostages.

Just watched his interview on FOX news. It only took a day for him to call Obama an untrustworthy, inefficient, liar, Hillary sucks, he's a unifier seeking a consensus of the Republican Party not in general, so.....same shit, different day.

And Fiorina is Palin/Bachmann 2.0 btw. She's "Hillary's worst nightmare," the liberal media is the reason she has to flat make up unemployment numbers for women, but 'Murica.

These people are infuriating. Didn't invade Syria....wrong. Sends troops into Syria....wrong. Not even getting into the Lindsey Graham interview.

Remember when you hated America if you criticized a war time President.

Last edited:
I've gotta hand it to Boehner, I dislike most of his policy objectives and his world view, but he orchestrated a pretty amazing exit from the speaker chair. It looked like a total cluster fuck at first, but Wrangor was right no one will remember that...in fact he'll most likely just be remembered for his last few weeks as speaker rather than the wildly ineffective 4.9 years leading up to them.

This one was easy to see coming. This board was just hoping for a disaster, but it was never going to end up that way. Paul Ryan, the only person that people actually knew about in this ordeal, got the job, and most Republicans are probably pretty happy with that. Of course Paul is going to come out against Obama. That is no surprise. Obama has already stated he is pretty much vetoing anything that doesn't fit his agenda, so there will be no working together over the next year. Both sides profit from being antagonistic at this point in the game. Primary season is open season on the other party. It doesn't really mean anything. Just politicking.

It's not like Paul Ryan actually ran against the Obama presidency or something. He's pretty clearly invested a significant part of his time in office to seeing that president Obama's agenda is not met, so why should anyone be surprised that he's openly against President Obama's agenda?

This one was easy to see coming. This board was just hoping for a disaster, but it was never going to end up that way. Paul Ryan, the only person that people actually knew about in this ordeal, got the job, and most Republicans are probably pretty happy with that. Of course Paul is going to come out against Obama. That is no surprise. Obama has already stated he is pretty much vetoing anything that doesn't fit his agenda, so there will be no working together over the next year. Both sides profit from being antagonistic at this point in the game. Primary season is open season on the other party. It doesn't really mean anything. Just politicking.

It was a pretty awesome/hilarious disaster for some period of time. It was never likely to cost seats, but may have somewhat neutralized the tea baggers, which is good for murica.

There's the rub. God forbid these people try to actually govern.

Nah, this fight for leadership will be fapworthy. This could potentially make 16 easy for Dems.

Boehner just won the election for whatever Dem wins the nomination.

the tea party is turning people away from the republican party, but you don't see how this makes an impact nationally...ok then

If the Tea Party wingnuts force the new Speaker to shut the government down right before Christmas (December 11 is going to be the drop dead date) ... then yeah, that's going to have massive implications for 2016.

It's going to matter to more people if the government shuts down again because of this nonsense. Or if there is a debt ceiling fight because the new speaker takes some tea party vow never to raise it as the price to get elected.

It mattered back in the mid-90s. Don't know if it will in 2015, but it might, and if it does, it won't cut in favor of the GOP.

Maybe, but maybe not. It all depends on how the Dems play it and use this failure of the GOP. Just for example, most Americans have no clue where Bengazhi is, what happened there, or even, how to spell it, but a lot of people do know that Hillary F'd it up and that she can't be trusted as a result.

There are more that are less succinct or clear, but there were a lot of people arguing for how much this resignation was going to matter. In the end it didn't, in fact if anything I think it was a win for the Republicans. They were able to replace an old worn out politician with a negative aura about him, with a young and energetic national face that can help shape the party in a good way. In addition, Ryan came in somewhat as the only real option, and should therefore wield more power over his subordinate congressmen/women. It turned out about as well as one could hope considering the timing of the resignation, and the options available to replace.

There are more that are less succinct or clear, but there were a lot of people arguing for how much this resignation was going to matter. In the end it didn't, in fact if anything I think it was a win for the Republicans. They were able to replace an old worn out politician with a negative aura about him, with a young and energetic national face that can help shape the party in a good way. In addition, Ryan came in somewhat as the only real option, and should therefore wield more power over his subordinate congressmen/women. It turned out about as well as one could hope considering the timing of the resignation, and the options available to replace.

Except that the Republicans are very lucky that Ryan accepted the job. There was really no one else and he very reluctantly accepted the position. Had he not, it would have been pretty embarrassing for the party. In my defense I did say "Maybe, but maybe not." It all hinged on Ryan accepting the job and how the Dems played it in the media. The Dems seemed fine with taking a passive roll and letting the GOP kill itself, the GOP got lucky and some how convinced Ryan that it was his civic duty to take this on. Easily could have predicted the first outcome (because the Dems just suck at this kind of thing) but the second was not an obvious result two or three weeks ago.

GOP honks are stoked about the possibility of Rubio as President and Ryan as Speaker in a new youth movement. GOP doesn't get to parity with younger voters unless they overhaul their social policies. Big problems with any variation of a Trump or Carson ticket. Carly won't help much as VP. Mitt may be dreaming of a do over campaign if Trump and Carson implode and Ryan is Speaker.

Except that the Republicans are very lucky that Ryan accepted the job. There was really no one else and he very reluctantly accepted the position. Had he not, it would have been pretty embarrassing for the party. In my defense I did say "Maybe, but maybe not." It all hinged on Ryan accepting the job and how the Dems played it in the media. The Dems seemed fine with taking a passive roll and letting the GOP kill itself, the GOP got lucky and some how convinced Ryan that it was his civic duty to take this on. Easily could have predicted the first outcome (because the Dems just suck at this kind of thing) but the second was not an obvious result two or three weeks ago.

A simple "I was wrong" would suffice. Ryan accepted the job because it increased his power and gave him a true national voice. The other candidates merely increased his leverage and made it more likely he will succeed. But in the end, you were wrong (it didn't matter) and the Pubs got the best guy for the job. The Democrats are being silent because there really isn't much to say. Ryan was a good choice and pretty much anyone with a brain knows that.

A simple "I was wrong" would suffice. Ryan accepted the job because it increased his power and gave him a true national voice. The other candidates merely increased his leverage and made it more likely he will succeed. But in the end, you were wrong (it didn't matter) and the Pubs got the best guy for the job. The Democrats are being silent because there really isn't much to say. Ryan was a good choice and pretty much anyone with a brain knows that.

You can't actually be wrong when you lead with "Maybe, but maybe not." I am not and was not one of the crowd who thought this was a political disaster for the GOP, I simply stated that it depended on how the Dems played it up and how long it dragged on for. The GOP got lucky on both counts.

Except this wasn't a failure as you stated.

Maybe, but maybe not. It all depends on how the Dems play it and use this failure of the GOP.

In fact it was a pretty big success. Republicans upgraded pretty big in this whole ordeal. So it was not a Republican failure as you stated, it was success. You call it luck, that is an opinion. Luck is merely where preparation meets opportunity. Ryan was prepared and the opportunity came to his doorstep. He capitalizes and the Republican party is a winner. IF that is luck, then so is Obama being president (I wouldn't define either as luck).

My quoted comment was related to a government shut-down.

Except this wasn't a failure as you stated.

In fact it was a pretty big success. Republicans upgraded pretty big in this whole ordeal. So it was not a Republican failure as you stated, it was success. You call it luck, that is an opinion. Luck is merely where preparation meets opportunity. Ryan was prepared and the opportunity came to his doorstep. He capitalizes and the Republican party is a winner. IF that is luck, then so is Obama being president (I wouldn't define either as luck).

Two things: 1) It was a failure for about two weeks until Ryan reluctantly agreed to take the job. The Kevin McCarthy thing was a laughable failure...jeez the air apparent/majority leader can't get enough votes to win speaker and then we find out he's been having a years long extra marital affair? The family values party! No failure of leadership there; 2) I operate with the bias that pretty much everything that the GOP does is a failure before they even start. Calling Ryan a success is premature.

I operate with the bias that pretty much everything that the GOP does is a failure before they even start.

This entire board does that. That is kind of the point. Look at the thread titles for further illustration. How many ways can we use the world debacle?

Back