• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BOT met yesterday, any moles on this board.

A university can be national without bloat.

yes. The numbers speak volumes. The massive spending in administration screams of cronyism and lack of discipline. No way these people deserve to be paid what they are.

BigTree, let me restate. Wake needs to lead, not follow.

We don't have the endowment to spend like crazy. So be an example of how to provide elite education without bloat.

also funny to see an administration that is trying to develop a national presence be so blind to the erosion of our basketball program. march madness should be thought of as a "free" nationwide tv ad

We don't have the endowment to spend like crazy. So be an example of how to provide elite education without bloat.

Fair enough. I, too, want Wake to be a leader in elite education. I view, from personal experience at other schools, a chunk of the administrative bloat a by-product of Wake trying to (with success) bridge the gap between where it used to be and where the true elites are. Wake is a lot closer to the front of the pack now then it was 10+ years ago and so it may have finally positioned itself to be that leader. Wake didn't used to be in a position to do that IMO.

I deal with admin bloat everyday and despise it as much as the next guy. It is even worse (no need to tell you this) when you are supported by grants. However it is a problem I just don't see going away at nearly any institution.

Grant related bloat is ridiculous. My university has grown tremendously in terms of research funding and they love to brag about it. The thing is that has been on the backs of individuals who are really good at getting grants and small scale department level infrastructure. Personnel at the college and university levels are incompetent or just inactive. I'll provide an example later.

also funny to see an administration that is trying to develop a national presence be so blind to the erosion of our basketball program. march madness should be thought of as a "free" nationwide tv ad

It's way, way more important than that. Without a good basketball program, Wake Forest has no national profile. It's that simple.

Cav, I went to Duke for grad school and I met people across all the schools and departments who went to all kinds of private and public schools. Of the top of my head, I can only think of two grad students out of the 60 or so I knew from my program who went to elite national privates. My best friend went to Cornell.

This has been my experience, as well, though not at Duke.

Also wanted to add that I helped HS kids with their college applications for extra cash this fall and all of the wealthy West Costers wanted to apply to Wake.

Grant related bloat is ridiculous. My university has grown tremendously in terms of research funding and they love to brag about it. The thing is that has been on the backs of individuals who are really good at getting grants and small scale department level infrastructure. Personnel at the college and university levels are incompetent or just inactive. I'll provide an example later.

One example = all personnel are incompetent?

It's way, way more important than that. Without a good basketball program, Wake Forest has no national profile. It's that simple.

sure it does. one of those schools that shows up on lists of "most expensive schools in the country"

Why have college costs risen so much? They're not spending it on profs. Is it general admin bloat?

Student services. Colleges and Universities are providing more and more resources, and employing more staff to provide these services. The paradigm is now educating the whole student which includes tons of stuff outside the classroom. This holistic education requires brand new rec centers, comprehensive counseling centers, wellness centers, women's centers, LGBTQ centers, modern housing, more extensive parking, conduct officers, leadership offices, etc. And then there's a growing class of upper administrators who oversee this crap.

You are incorrect on the first one. The freshman dorms, except for Luter (but including the brand new South Hall, as well as Collins (which I think is newer)) are all still hall style. The quad dorms are all suite style (6-8 (?) people per bathroom). The brand new Magnolia and Dogwood halls are also 6-8 people per bathroom. There are more apartment style dorms, but that doesn't necessarily represent an upgrade due to the new, 3 year residency requirement (I know my off campus apartment senior year was vastly better than any on-campus apartment, including the vaunted North Campus apartments).

South (although really nice and modern) and Collins are both traditional/hall style dorms. I believe Luter is the only freshmen hall to have a suite-style bathroom.

I hope they kept the painted-over concrete block walls. They have such a charming retro touch at over $60 thou per year.

Oh yeah, this is still going on in most of the freshmen dorms and the Quad. There's one day in the summer where a team of temp workers comes in and paints all the walls and waxes all the floors.

The rooms are getting smaller and smaller every year because of this process.

#NoSAT #BoldLeadership

Wake was right at $30,000 a year when I started in 2000. Adjusted for inflation, that would be around $41,000 today (or about $160,000 for 4 years). What the fuck is going on?

It's mind-boggling to think I managed to escape WFU in '96 with *only* about $15k in debt when current total yearly cost will be over $60k a year!! I realize there is a lot of "cheap" student loans these days and Wake's grants / gifting has always been very generous, but how in the hell do we go from $18k per year all tolled to $62+ in the span of just 18 years!!? Good god almighty.

Take it to the Politics Board.

Back