• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boycott WFU Sports?

And fuck you very much!

Not nearly as fucking stupid as thinking boycotting a fucking college's athletic events will lead to some kind of turn-around. But by all means, don't provide any refutation. Just make a drive-by one liner and we can start calling you Keeper 2.

First, yes, an empty Joel speaks volumes. I would of course still go to games if I didn't live half way across the country, but that's because I'm obsessed with WFU basketball, bad or good. It's a disease. Second, college basketball is entertainment. It is ludicrous to expect people to go to an entertainment event they don't enjoy in order to support a bunch of third parties. Third, players absolutely could do something about the situation. They could be better.

Boycotting college sports is a delicate situation. Although the lines between college and pros is blurred at times, college sports is not supposed to be a business. We're supposed to go and support our team and our school. So, I really dont think a boycott is appropriate. At the same time, though, I do not fault anyone for not wanting to pay money to go see our dumpster fire of a basketball program right now. To spend all that money and take your family to a game and take hours out of your life to watch us get our butts kicked is not my idea of fun, or a good use of my hard earned money. To me, there's a difference between actively boycotting so you can send a message, and just deciding you can do something better with your time and money.

This is my third season not buying season tickets. I had purchased season tickets the previous 8 years. I quit buying tickets because it was no longer fun to go to games.

Not liking the AD and the coach is one thing but think about the players. They want to see fans cheering for them. Boycotting honestly will probably do nothing except for making the players feel even worse

Not liking the AD and the coach is one thing but think about the players. They want to see fans cheering for them. Boycotting honestly will probably do nothing except for making the players feel even worse

This is the absolute truth. And players won't want to play for a school where the stands are empty. So while you can boycott if you like, it will probably make the situation worse.

This is my third season not buying season tickets. I had purchased season tickets the previous 8 years. I quit buying tickets because it was no longer fun to go to games.

I think 94 is being unrealistic here. We haven't purchased season tickets in the Bzz years either. I think we started buying tickets in 1990/1991 when we moved to Winston. Call me whatever you want, but there's no way I can justify the time away from family and thousands of dollars in tickets, fuel, etc to drive up and down the road from Charlotte to see this mess. 94Deac, how many games have you been to over the last 3 years?

First, yes, an empty Joel speaks volumes. I would of course still go to games if I didn't live half way across the country, but that's because I'm obsessed with WFU basketball, bad or good. It's a disease. Second, college basketball is entertainment. It is ludicrous to expect people to go to an entertainment event they don't enjoy in order to support a bunch of third parties. Third, players absolutely could do something about the situation. They could be better.

Yeah, empty stadiums speak volumes but they don't result in changes. Not in Winston Salem, or have you just missed the last 50 or so years of Deacon sports? I agree it's ludicrous to expect people to go to "entertainment" they don't enjoy- but this is basketball, not an Asian massage parlor. You're not always guaranteed the zipidity-fucking-doo-da ending you're looking for. It's not a movie that has no idea you either jerked off in excitement or walked out 20 minutes in.

You go to support your team in a time when they need it most. And that's "they" as in the student-athletes who come to college and play a sport. As classmates and friends of people here. We shitcan them just because we don't like the AD or coach? And do you really think players going to whoever is going to result in change? Go your boss' boss and complain about your boss. See what that gets you.

And to clarify, my point about vendors and businesses was to the point about the impacts of boycotts outside intended targets. You're pissed at management- no reason to torch the building and burn everyone.

You go to support your team in a time when they need it most.

So, you've got season tickets this year? It seems silly to give people a hard time about not attending games if you don't.

I think 94 is being unrealistic here. We haven't purchased season tickets in the Bzz years either. I think we started buying tickets in 1990/1991 when we moved to Winston. Call me whatever you want, but there's no way I can justify the time away from family and thousands of dollars in tickets, fuel, etc to drive up and down the road from Charlotte to see this mess. 94Deac, how many games have you been to over the last 3 years?

I utterly get your point. We went through this back with Caldwell. And we on these boards had this same discussion then. I understand what you're saying- it's hard to invest time and money and get heartburn. But that has happened to WF at some point just about every year in the last 50 (as of 2012). Even when we won the ACCT in 95 and 96, both those seasons ended in gut-wrenching losses. It's one letdown as opposed to a huge string of them but the result was the same- a letdown. In some cases it just happened after a great season.

And I don't really think you're trying to equate you driving from Charlotte and back for a game with the logistics I have to go through from Atlanta. I'm talking only to Hulka's explicit statement of boycotting until [Redacted] is gone. As long as boycotters realize that their intended targets, [Redacted] and Wellman, aren't even first-line recipients of the boycott, all's well. Just don't blindly believe a boycott is going to make things sunny and impact no one but them.

So, you've got season tickets this year? It seems silly to give people a hard time about not attending games if you don't.

So reasonability isn't part of your decision calculus. You might recall that I was a season-ticket holder who made just about all home football games for several years- all from Atlanta and all by flying into Greensboro with rental cars, hotels, and all the fixins. If you feel like throwing bullshit in my direction, let me know how far away you've lived from a team you've had season tickets to.

Not sure what word you'd use but either way, it ain't supporting. I'm sure the players, local vendors/businesses, and anyone else who also can't do jackshit about the situation appreciate your support, though.

If it causes them to bitch about the state of affairs then I have achieved my goal...I am not going to subsidize an idiot. if local businesses see a huge drop off in revenue compared to when we were relevant, then good. They should also voice their displeasure. If we still had a full house with the product that Bzz is generating, then my lone voice would not even matter.

I was interview once by the Triad Business Journal about my trips to see the deacons. It worked out to ~$700 per game (football and hoops) to the economy. I hate that there is collateral damage, but that is what Bzz is doing to the Triad, not me. Get him out and I will come back.

lol at an organized boycott of Wake sports

The football and basketball teams are already doing as much as they can to drive fans away.

If it causes them to bitch about the state of affairs then I have achieved my goal...I am not going to subsidize an idiot. if local businesses see a huge drop off in revenue compared to when we were relevant, then good. They should also voice their displeasure. If we still had a full house with the product that Bzz is generating, then my lone voice would not even matter.

I was interview once by the Triad Business Journal about my trips to see the deacons. It worked out to ~$700 per game (football and hoops) to the economy. I hate that there is collateral damage, but that is what Bzz is doing to the Triad, not me. Get him out and I will come back.

And this is completely your prerogative. My only point was that people not overlook the fact that boycotts result in unintended victims. Que sera and all that.

So reasonability isn't part of your decision calculus. You might recall that I was a season-ticket holder who made just about all home football games for several years- all from Atlanta and all by flying into Greensboro with rental cars, hotels, and all the fixins. If you feel like throwing bullshit in my direction, let me know how far away you've lived from a team you've had season tickets to.

So, why not basketball too? Why don't you still have football season tickets now? What is reasonable and unreasonable and why do you get to decide it for others? As far as I'm concerned, someone could live within walking distance of LJVM and it could still be unreasonable for them to spend the $$ and time required to attend every game. If I lived 30 minutes away, would it be reasonable? What about 60 minutes? It just seems silly that folks who don't have basketball season tickets, and never have, are weighing in on whether or not others are justified in choosing not to attend games right now.

So, why not basketball too? Why don't you still have football season tickets now? What is reasonable and unreasonable and why do you get to decide it for others? As far as I'm concerned, someone could live within walking distance of LJVM and it could still be unreasonable for them to spend the $$ and time required to attend every game. If I lived 30 minutes away, would it be reasonable? What about 60 minutes? It just seems silly that folks who don't have basketball season tickets, and never have, are weighing in on whether or not others are justified in choosing not to attend games right now.

I now realize you're fucking with me.

This is it. It's not necessary about "boycotting". It's about Wake basketball moving down the list of fun things to do. It's hard to justify carving out time to watch games and sacrificing time with family. Hard to imagine introducing my sons to Wake basketball and expecting them to enjoy it. It really hurts to see friends with small children not taking their kids to the Joel for games because it's just not a fun thing to do. Wellman is missing out on a new generation of Deacon fans by sticking with Bzz.

Nathan Hatch and Ron Wellman have proved just how little they care about the players. But you think it is my job to spend my money and waste my time on this shitshow just so the players won't feel bad?! I did my bit for the players. I wrote Nathan Hatch and begged him not to "waste another year of these players careers" on Buzz. His response was nothing but canned BS from Ron Wellman. So I wrote him again and begged him not to let Ron Wellman's ego stand in the way of doing right by these players. This time, no response. Our university's actions to date say that Jeff [Redacted] is more important than the players are.

This is the absolute truth. And players won't want to play for a school where the stands are empty. So while you can boycott if you like, it will probably make the situation worse.

Let's be clear. There is NOTHING the fans can do to make this situation worse or better. Bzdick can make it better by resigning. RW can make it better by firing Bzdick. President Hatch can make it better by firing Wellman.

Yeah, its a total time slot of about five or six hours to drive back and forth from Charlotte and watch us get pummeled on the basketball court. Why would I want to do that when I already know the result is that we're going to be defeated soundly and four guys are going to transfer at the end of every year? Estimated cost is over $100 per game.

And this is completely your prerogative. My only point was that people not overlook the fact that boycotts result in unintended victims. Que sera and all that.

This is a "one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist" kind of argument. Sometimes the complacent need to be rocked out of their complacency. Jim Grobe will always have my support (albeit less enthusiastically because the fall of 06 was a magical time). Bzzz will NEVER have my support because he is one of the worst humans on the planet and demonstrably the worst DI basketball coach. My buddy that went to Colorado told me the day we hired him that he is not a builder of programs, but a destroyer of programs. I don't remember who was the first to be on the BZZZ OUT bandwagon, but I was in the top ten. He is a pox on our basketball house and the sooner he is gone, the earlier we can start the road back to relevance. If UCONN wanted to, they could beat us by 40...but I suspect they will call off the dogs in the first half when they are up by ~ 25.

Rantilitcoious!

Yeah, empty stadiums speak volumes but they don't result in changes. Not in Winston Salem, or have you just missed the last 50 or so years of Deacon sports? I agree it's ludicrous to expect people to go to "entertainment" they don't enjoy- but this is basketball, not an Asian massage parlor. You're not always guaranteed the zipidity-fucking-doo-da ending you're looking for. It's not a movie that has no idea you either jerked off in excitement or walked out 20 minutes in.

You go to support your team in a time when they need it most. And that's "they" as in the student-athletes who come to college and play a sport. As classmates and friends of people here. We shitcan them just because we don't like the AD or coach? And do you really think players going to whoever is going to result in change? Go your boss' boss and complain about your boss. See what that gets you.

And to clarify, my point about vendors and businesses was to the point about the impacts of boycotts outside intended targets. You're pissed at management- no reason to torch the building and burn everyone.

I don't know how the big money is wired, but I know that I find the size of the crowds to be almost as embarrassing as the play on the court. At the same time, I don't think a boycott would be effective because, well, the vast majority of fans already don't go to games. This is because most sports fans are casual fans, fans that only go when it is convenient and/or fun (e.g. when Wake is good and playing a worthy opponent). Of course there's a whole spectrum between the casual and the obsessed, but far more people lay on the casual side of things. They don't boycott games; they just quit going because it isn't fun anymore. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Back