• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking down the Tunnels' favorite conservative myth

It takes a while to fully realize just how disadvantaged minorities are in this country. First generation African Americans are unaware how poorly they are expected to perform. Absent that knowledge they mistakenly have great success.

I'm glad it's that simple. You should let them know. Perhaps Trump can let them know they're all lazy.

ITT we learn that the USA is not the land of opportunity, hard work doesn't get results, and you can't escape your caste. If I thought the way y'all did, I'd hate this country too.

Got to love the go-to "liberals hate America" line. Conservatives just love America so much they point out all the bad stuff liberals have done so they can return America to some mythical time of greatness.

885734_630x354.jpg

For jhmd, Junebug, knowell:

Is the point that

1) Poor Americans are just not trying hard enough, or

2) Poor Americans are duped into not trying hard enough by nefarious or wrongheaded liberal policy.

Got to love the go-to "liberals hate America" line. Conservatives just love America so much they point out all the bad stuff liberals have done so they can return America to some mythical time of greatness.

885734_630x354.jpg

that's the style hat my grandad would wear, string on the brim and all (minus the dopey tagline)

This is the issue, though. He has a working knowledge of a lot of the defining voices of the last few generations of the America he claims to understand. There is an awful lot out there besides Plato, Nietzsche, and Hemingway and TNC talks about it pretty regularly on his blog and in his published work.

It's pretty clear that he's only reading the stuff that agrees with his viewpoint. That's the danger with self-education, it only exposes you to the viewpoints you gravitate to. It's clear that he only understands his side of the argument, and its pretty easily argued that this is likely attributable to the fact that he has no working knowledge of the defining American voices of the last 200 years.

Chapter break!

Dude's (re-)learning French in his late 30s and doing repeated immersion trips and programs, and writing about his failures with grasping the language in a forum bigger than anything any poster here will ever have. Obviously his profession affords him opportunities that others don't get, but I think that's an impressive practice of lifelong learning. I understand that you have no interest in the man or his writing, but I think that should lead you write less about how committed to ignorance you think he is. Maybe to the extent that you don't even do it at all.

Good for him. Continuing adult education is actually somewhat typical for college dropouts. Maybe you should stop slurping his narrow perspective and view him objectively for what he is, a hack.

For jhmd, Junebug, knowell:

Is the point that

1) Poor Americans are just not trying hard enough, or

2) Poor Americans are duped into not trying hard enough by nefarious or wrongheaded liberal policy.

3) Poor Americans---all of them---are disserved by the left's message that the system hates them, the deck is stacked against them and they'll never succeed on their own.

TAB almost certainly as uneducated about black history as TNC is about English lit. That's why neither one should comment on shit they don't know about.

The main difference being, I'm not writing silly books of limitless scope on topics on which I barely understand, and editing websites, when I can't even go two paragraphs of a blog post without making typos.

When I publish a book that conflates climate change and slavery, then you can call me full of shit as well.

3) Poor Americans---all of them---are disserved by the left's message that the system hates them, the deck is stacked against them and they'll never succeed on their own.

And they can't see through these lies used to manipulate them? Why not?

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the left's message - a false message of an unlevel playing field, a bald-faced lie - caused the false outcomes to actually happen! And how the poor fell into this trap and allowed it to happen when the clear path to prosperity was laying there at their feet.

Junebug, knowell please feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
And they can't see through these lies used to manipulate them? Why not?

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the left's message - a false message of an unlevel playing field, a bald-faced lie - caused the false outcomes to actually happen! And how the poor fell into this trap and allowed it to happen when the clear path to prosperity was laying there at their feet.

Junebug, knowell please feel free to chime in.

It's your message, I'd like to hear you defend the utility of your constant refrain of powerlessness, helplessness and oppression.

It's your message, I'd like to hear you defend the utility of your constant refrain of powerlessness, helplessness and oppression.

Don't do it WaB. Negotiate an answer for answer agreement to questions and a response for response to demanded opinions.

The main difference being, I'm not writing silly books of limitless scope on topics on which I barely understand, and editing websites, when I can't even go two paragraphs of a blog post without making typos.

When I publish a book that conflates climate change and slavery, then you can call me full of shit as well.

That's a remarkably stupid reading of the last couple pages of Between The World And Me. Those pages didn't exactly land with me, but that's not important.

Why are you, a KA, so hung up about a black writer's success? Huh. I wonder what that's about.

No, that is not what I want you to do at all.

I want you to defend the veracity of yours.

The only way your argument - that the left's message does a disservice to the poor - to hold water is for the poor to be stupid, hapless rubes. Otherwise they would see right through the ridiculous nonsense the left is spouting.

Last edited:
That's a remarkably stupid reading of the last couple pages of Between The World And Me. Those pages didn't exactly land with me, but that's not important.

Why are you, a KA, so hung up about a black writer's success? Huh. I wonder what that's about.

Oh boy, here comes the race card because someone dared not like an African American writer.

Back