• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bruce Springsteen Cancels Greensboro Concert

Couch is definitely the right emoji for this. Title IX is particularly ridiculous because all it does is mandate equality

In theory it demands equality but in practice it has mainly just hurt the men's teams. Men's programs have been cut at a ton of schools to meet the quotas, instead of adding women's teams. Because there are no sports like football on the women's side, you also end up with sports like tennis that have twice as many scholarships available for the women's team than men's team. I knew girls in high school that got full rides to play a sport in college that they had never even played before. Whereas some men could be a significant starter on a team and not get a scholarship, or maybe a partial scholarship if they are lucky.

unequal 110 > 10
equal 110 - 50 = 10 + 50

By "in practice," you mean math. How else would you turn the unequal distribution of scholarships to men into equality? The other solution would be to significantly cut football scholarships or start a women's sport with 85 scholarships.

Last edited:
To be fair, you can't call the bathroom law a discriminatory law and then say Title IX simply demands equality. That's comparing what the law says in one case (Title IX) to what the law does in another (bathroom law). None of these laws actually discriminate on their face, it's that their consequences discriminate against a certain group.

Title IX - law says you must have equal numbers - ends up benefiting women and hurting men
AA - law says it is acceptable to consider minority status among other factors in applications - ends up benefiting minority candidates and hurting non-minority candidates
Bathroom Law - law says everyone must use the bathroom on his or her birth certificate - ends up hurting transgender bathroom users

The difference is that some of the discrimination is acceptable because it's necessary for the purpose of the law (some con law scholar can help me out with the actual standards). It's acceptable to discriminate against white male applicants because diversity at a college is a good thing and the discriminatory act is related to accomplishing that purpose. If there were statistics of transgender bathroom users harassing young girls in the girls bathroom, it might be reasonable to discriminate against transgender bathroom users for the purpose of public safety (I don't believe that evidence exists though).

In theory it demands equality but in practice it has mainly just hurt the men's teams. Men's programs have been cut at a ton of schools to meet the quotas, instead of adding women's teams. Because there are no sports like football on the women's side, you also end up with sports like tennis that have twice as many scholarships available for the women's team than men's team. I knew girls in high school that got full rides to play a sport in college that they had never even played before. Whereas some men could be a significant starter on a team and not get a scholarship, or maybe a partial scholarship if they are lucky.

That's just because football has a lot of scholarships. For guys who play football, it's great

I have a feeling the final nail is going to come when the PGA of America threatens to pull the PGA Championship from Quail Hollow next year. I don't think it's being talked about yet, but the PGA is overly sensitive about inclusivity.

Are there any LPGA events coming up in NC? I'd be more concerned about them.

This weekend, I was talking with a colleague who is a leader in our Southern regional organization. They try to avoid scheduling meetings in cities and states with discriminatory policies. We had a near miss with our upcoming Atlanta meeting. Charlotte is off the table. We are slated for Greenville, SC next year. Other Southern states are lining up. She said we are starting to run out of locations.

I think they reverse course before then. Whoever the dipshit was who decided to make an issue of this needs to be publicly shamed.

Greensboro still on an incline
On April 5, 2016, the Greensboro City Council passed a resolution against House Bill 2 after more than an hour of heated discussion with a final vote of 8-1. The resolution reads, ""The City of Greensboro City Council reaffirms its support for protecting and advancing the constitutional rights and equitable treatment of all residents."
A number of companies have publicly announced their opposition to the law, including Red Hat, Dow Chemical, Biogen,[29] Wells Fargo, American Airlines, Lowe's, PayPal, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, IBM, Yelp,[30][31] and Salesforce.com.[3][32] On March 29, 2016, an open letter signed by 80 corporate CEOs against House Bill 2 was sent to Governor McCrory.[33]
Some companies have halted or are reconsidering their plans to expand to North Carolina as a result of the passage of House Bill 2. Braeburn Pharmaceuticals is reconsidering their plans to build a US$20 million manufacturing and research facility in Durham County.[34][35] Lionsgate has relocated at least one of their productions out of the state.[34] On April 5, 2016, PayPal announced that they would no longer move forward with their expansion into Charlotte.[36][37]
A&E Networks announced that they will no longer produce films in North Carolina, and 21st Century Fox is reconsidering filming future productions in the state.[38] Musical composer Stephen Schwartz will not allow Wicked to be produced in North Carolina.[39] Film director Rob Reiner called for a boycott of North Carolina by the entertainment industry, and said that he would no longer film in the state.[40]
The NBA, NCAA, and ESPN's X Games have also spoken out against the law, with all three organizations reconsidering plans to host future sporting events in North Carolina.[41][42][43][44]
On March 28, 2016, High Point Market, the largest home furnishings trade show in the world and the largest economic event in North Carolina, issued a press release expressing concern for "hundreds and perhaps thousands" of customers boycotting their biannual event in April as a result of House Bill 2.[45][46][47]
On April 8, 2016, Bruce Springsteen canceled a performance in Greensboro, NC, scheduled for April 10, expressing solidarity for the North Carolina transgender community.[48][49]
Travel bans[edit]
As of April 9, 2016, the states of Connecticut,[50] Minnesota,[51] New York,[52] Vermont,[53] and Washington,[54] the District of Columbia,[55][56] the county of Cuyahoga[57] and the cities of Atlanta,[58] Boston,[59] Chicago,[60] Dayton,[61] Honolulu,[62] New York City,[63][64] Oakland,[65] Philadelphia,[66] Portland,[67] Providence,[68] San Francisco,[69] Santa Fe,[70] Seattle,[71][72] Tampa,[66] and West Palm Beach[73] have issued travel bans in response to House Bill 2, barring government employees from non-essential travel to North Carolina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Facilities_Privacy_%26_Security_Act

I have a feeling the final nail is going to come when the PGA of America threatens to pull the PGA Championship from Quail Hollow next year. I don't think it's being talked about yet, but the PGA is overly sensitive about inclusivity.

That's what I've been saying! And the 600 too

Johnny Harris will eviscerate Pat McCrory before he loses the PGA Championship at his club.

Are there any LPGA events coming up in NC? I'd be more concerned about them.

This weekend, I was talking with a colleague who is a leader in our Southern regional organization. They try to avoid scheduling meetings in cities and states with discriminatory policies. We had a near miss with our upcoming Atlanta meeting. Charlotte is off the table. We are slated for Greenville, SC next year. Other Southern states are lining up. She said we are starting to run out of locations.

strange you will go to greenville. the ncaa wont have the basketball tourney in sc due to the mlk holiday issue

The NCAA lifted the boycott if I remember correctly.

So it looks like Dan Bishop was the driving force for this idiocy. I bet most of the Charlotte area Deacs voted for him.

Back