• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

Again, you or me need a degree as evidence we went to Wake. Crawford and Moore have websites, articles, and YouTube clips as evidence.

Giggling to myself at the image of an HR recruiter in 2033 searching for Bryant Crawford Wake Forest videos that have like 200 views on YouTube.

Or some of us have become adults, lived our lives, met people we may have once considered #publicschoolfilth and realized that we aren’t better than them just because we went to Wake.

Yep, 2 graduate degrees at public universities showed me that my bias against those schools was unwarranted. It is also context dependent and career dependent. If Crawford was looking to go to law school or into wall street finance after a couple of years playing ball in Israel a wake degree would probably give him a leg up over App state, but a basketball coaching career? It’s not really all that important.

Or some of us have become adults, lived our lives, met people we may have once considered #publicschoolfilth and realized that we aren’t better than them just because we went to Wake.

Having a better education doesn’t make you better than someone. It just makes you better educated. I find it somewhat ironic that people that paid vast sums of money to attend a university are now making the argument that staying for one extra (free) year of education to finish a Wake degree, as opposed to transferring those credits to UNC Wilmington, is an unadvisable position.

Having a better educational resume isn’t a personal value judgement, but it is valuable. You don’t have to be same to be equal. I value your educational triumphs PH, which are clearly more advanced than mine. However, I don’t think that makes you better than me.

Anybody know how much he signed for? Or how much in general this random Israeli team has paid players in the past?

Hopelessly bumping this. 27 pages of hot takes on Crawford... sweet. But does anyone know how much that team he signed for pays? (Cue everyone ignoring my question and continuing with pages of bickering)

But I think it's legitimate to question what the actual monetary value of a wake degree would be for somebody after finishing a long basketball career... Particularly if their grade point average was poor to middling.

Hopelessly bumping this. 27 pages of hot takes on Crawford... sweet. But does anyone know how much that team he signed for pays? (Cue everyone ignoring my question and continuing with pages of bickering)

yes, its referenced in these 27 pages with a link

Yep, 2 graduate degrees at public universities showed me that my bias against those schools was unwarranted. It is also context dependent and career dependent. If Crawford was looking to go to law school or into wall street finance after a couple of years playing ball in Israel a wake degree would probably give him a leg up over App state, but a basketball coaching career? It’s not really all that important.

So then let's pay NCAA athletes if we are all sitting here admitting that the college education they are getting is of little value.

So then let's pay NCAA athletes if we are all sitting here admitting that the college education they are getting is of little value.

Yeah. That’s one of the arguments for paying athletes.

Having a better education doesn’t make you better than someone. It just makes you better educated. I find it somewhat ironic that people that paid vast sums of money to attend a university are now making the argument that staying for one extra (free) year of education to finish a Wake degree, as opposed to transferring those credits to UNC Wilmington, is an unadvisable position.

Some (or many of us) didn't pay "vast sums of money" to go to WFU. It used to be one helluva bargain back in the day. Now the cost is astronomical. I love Wake, but I'm not sure I'd advise my son or daughter to go there over a good public school unless she/he had mad scholarship money. Yes, to some extent, it's all relative, but WFU used to be much more affordable relative to the average income of a family with a prospective student considering Wake.

Living in Georgia, a UGA degree actually carries as much, if not more clout, because people are so damn obsessed with Athens. And it's a very good school. Think I've had two of 5 hiring bosses that were really impressed I graduated from WFU. Of course, had I done a Master's it might have changed the calculus some.

Sure, but for all the future high school basketball coaches there are also John Woffords landing jobs at Barklays when their pro athlete dreams don’t pan out. I’m sure the WF degree was pretty valuable there.

Well said, DeacNot. I don’t think any of my friends from Wake are particularly eager to send their kids there.

I totally get your point. but I think most/all coaching jobs in the NCAA require a college degree. I seem to recall it was a problem for Sydney Lowe at NCSU.
For some careers a college degree might not matter. But to act like stopping 75% of the way to a degree from a top 25 school is a good decision seems a little bit of a silly position.

I totally get your point. but I think most/all coaching jobs in the NCAA require a college degree. I seem to recall it was a problem for Sydney Lowe at NCSU.
For some careers a college degree might not matter. But to act like stopping 75% of the way to a degree from a top 25 school is a good decision seems a little bit of a silly position.

Maybe you responded to the wrong post, but what I said here is that a WFU degree, specifically, is not required for a college or any basketball coaching gig. I think there is little added value of the distinction of a degree from a top 30 university in some fields. Crawford can finish his degree elsewhere if he needs it later in life to be a basketball coach, but if he decides he wants to go to law school or into pharmaceutical research, ditching the Wake degree was bad idea. It depends...

Plus, if in 15 years Wake is bringing Crawford back to be our HC, I bet they can find a way to let him finish his old degree before starting the position.

Maybe you responded to the wrong post, but what I said here is that a WFU degree, specifically, is not required for a college or any basketball coaching gig. I think there is little added value of the distinction of a degree from a top 30 university in some fields. Crawford can finish his degree elsewhere if he needs it later in life to be a basketball coach, but if he decides he wants to go to law school or into pharmaceutical research, ditching the Wake degree was bad idea. It depends...

Plus, if in 15 years Wake is bringing Crawford back to be our HC, I bet they can find a way to let him finish his old degree before starting the position.

I misread what you were saying...Agree with u

But I think it's legitimate to question what the actual monetary value of a wake degree would be for somebody after finishing a long basketball career... Particularly if their grade point average was poor to middling.

I wasn't a basketball player, but 2.5 GPA here. I'm 37, and I was literally handed a job from Wake out of school (I didn't apply for the one I got, and got rejected from the ones I applied for), and each of the 4 jobs I've had since then is related to either someone I knew at Wake or someone I met from the first job Wake handed me. The value is in your friend group largely being rich and successful, by now everyone I went to school with is a partner somewhere.

Last edited:
So a guy like "Crawford" will get little value out of a WF degree because you presume he has no greater life ambition than coaching basketball, but the "Woffords" will get great value from the degree. Picking up some coded racism in that post.

Fuck no. There are pages and pages of discussion here that Crawford is headed to a post playing career as a coach of some sort, a career for which a Wake degree specifically doesn't add a lot of value (as far as I know), those are assumptions about his post playing career that a whole bunch of other posters have made and I was responding to. In fact, read my posts and you'll see that I said if Craw decides to go to Law School in a couple years he'll probably regret abandoning his degree, so I am not making any assumptions about his aspirations. Wofford has already picked up a job on Wall street using his degree as an asset, probably. Let's use different examples...Sean Allen is an investment and real estate consultant in Spain (https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanlallen1/) his wake degree probably helped a lot is establishing a post playing career while Darius Songaila is an assistant coach for some professional team in Lithuania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Songaila) probably his NBA experience was more important that having a degree specifically from Wake Forest. Is that better?

Last edited:
Back