• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

So, a 35 year old dude is going to be applying for entry level jobs where a college degree is needed to even get his resume into the pile? Really? Never mind that he can easily earn said degree in the off-season while still earning far more money than most recent Wake grads.

Many Wake folks seem stuck in a strict corporate mindset to the point that they have no idea how most of the job market works. The world is full of jobs at small/medium businesses, startups, and entrepreneurial opportunities where Craw's experiences and abilities (and perhaps saved seed money) will mean far more than some piece of paper from 15 years earlier.

Not to mention that Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates & Steve Jobs all did pretty well without a college degree. Actress Jennifer Lawrence has done quite well without even a high school diploma or GED. Just saying.....

Holy Shit ! Crawford's gonna be a TECH BILLIONAIRE !

Just saying.....

Holy shit - we can't leave my boss, Michael Dell out of this convo.

Does he want to coach high school basketball ? If he does, he'll never be able to because he doesn't have a college degree and he'll never be able to get one online in three months.

Wake isn't excepting online transfer credits for upper level courses in your major. If you want a wake degree, you are finishing at Wake or you transfer your wake credits to some state university and repeat your junior year.

Wake isn't excepting online transfer credits for upper level courses in your major. If you want a wake degree, you are finishing at Wake or you transfer your wake credits to some state university and repeat your junior year.

There are schools out there that will give Crawford credit for every single class he passed at Wake.

College assistant and high school coaching jobs require a bachelor's degree.

I guess you are right about college assistants, I was basing my info on the Steve Masiello saga form a few years ago, who had some how been an assistant at Tulane, Manhattan and Kentucky, before landing the HC gig at Manhattan, all with out a Bachelors degree.

Article on high school coaching requirements:

While a bachelor's degree provides the surest opportunity for prospective coaches, states and individual school districts and school administrators provide alternatives. In some instances, teachers can find work with an associate's degree. This provides greater flexibility for schools seeking individuals to serve in dual roles as classroom teachers and basketball coaches. Some schools can hire coaches for non-teaching positions, such as janitorial or secretarial work, that do not require a college degree, while other school districts have the option of hiring part-time coaches who do not hold any other job duties at the school. Degree requirements for these schools tend to be at the discretion of the hiring administrator, and private schools often fall into this category.

Another Article:

There are no specific education requirements for high school coaches, but many possess a bachelor's degree in sports science, exercise, kinesiology, fitness, physical education or physiology. Additionally, many teachers work as high school coaches in part-time positions. If a high school coach goes this route, they also have to meet the necessary requirements to be employed as a high school teacher.

There are schools out there that will give Crawford credit for every single class he passed at Wake.

But if he graduates from online U, how will anybody ever know he went to Wake?

Man, all the hummus you can eat. Seems like a good deal.

I know one thing for sure.

Gilboa Galil is going to lead that league in missed dunks next season.

Horseshit.

My two cents: this was a mistake by crawford but it has nothing to do with his academic credentials when he is 35- why bother thinking about that because the players sure as hell don't.
Everybody who has watched Crawford play knows he is not an NBA player- the only question about him was at what level does he play in Europe? Is he a top level guy who who can play a long time and make some decent cash or is he a mid level guy who bounces around all over Europe for multiple teams and less cash. I don't pretend to be a Euroleague expert, but I would tend to think that had Crawford stayed for his senior year and made an All ACC team (3rd team would be realistic), was the top player on a NCAA Tourney team (another big if but doable esp. if had Moore come back as well), scored over 2,000 total points in his career putting him as one of the top 5 scorers in Wake Forest history (definitely doable), as well the publicity that a really good ACC player can get from being on TV regularly, then he would have been in a much better position next year than to get 100K in Israel. He has essentially traded his senior year for 100k and had he bet on himself then he could be looking at substantially more than 100K over the course of his overseas career. People talk about this as a year of earning he can never get back, but it is also a senior year of accolades and bargaining power that he can never get back. Right now he is a just a guy who never won an NCAA tourney game, never made an ALL ACC team, and is not one of the all time leaders in a category at his school. He could have changed all that...or maybe he would have been the exact same player as a senior and made no improvements and had to go play overseas in a place like Israel for 100k.

Anybody know how much he signed for? Or how much in general this random Israeli team has paid players in the past?

Man, all the hummus you can eat. Seems like a good deal.

And the Israeli hummus is 3x better than the stuff at Whole Foods. The spreads they put out for appetizers are first rate for sure.

My two cents: this was a mistake by crawford but it has nothing to do with his academic credentials when he is 35- why bother thinking about that because the players sure as hell don't.
Everybody who has watched Crawford play knows he is not an NBA player- the only question about him was at what level does he play in Europe? Is he a top level guy who who can play a long time and make some decent cash or is he a mid level guy who bounces around all over Europe for multiple teams and less cash. I don't pretend to be a Euroleague expert, but I would tend to think that had Crawford stayed for his senior year and made an All ACC team (3rd team would be realistic), was the top player on a NCAA Tourney team (another big if but doable esp. if had Moore come back as well), scored over 2,000 total points in his career putting him as one of the top 5 scorers in Wake Forest history (definitely doable), as well the publicity that a really good ACC player can get from being on TV regularly, then he would have been in a much better position next year than to get 100K in Israel. He has essentially traded his senior year for 100k and had he bet on himself then he could be looking at substantially more than 100K over the course of his overseas career. People talk about this as a year of earning he can never get back, but it is also a senior year of accolades and bargaining power that he can never get back. Right now he is a just a guy who never won an NCAA tourney game, never made an ALL ACC team, and is not one of the all time leaders in a category at his school. He could have changed all that...or maybe he would have been the exact same player as a senior and made no improvements and had to go play overseas in a place like Israel for 100k.

The top European teams almost certainly have more scouts in Israel than they do in the U.S.

Back