• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

I can’t tell if this is trolling or not. I’m leaning towards yes.
Not trolling...some people honestly believe that a 35 year old who has spent his entire career playing basketball is going to apply for an entry level corporate job when he retires from the game AND that a 15 year old degree is going to mean something to the hiring manager.

Not trolling...some people honestly believe that a 35 year old who has spent his entire career playing basketball is going to apply for an entry level corporate job when he retires from the game AND that a 15 year old degree is going to mean something to the hiring manager.
You don't think Craw will keenly remember all of the stuff that was discussed in comm classes 15 years ago?!?

With a degree, it isn't about the age on it or necessarily where it came from. It is about having it. Many places, your resume never gets to a hiring manager if some clerk can't find a degree somewhere on there. Recognized degree from accredited college is all it takes.

A college degree shows that you are trainable at that level and that you are willing to put in the time, effort and energy to learn some stuff other people said you need to learn. That gives me, as a hiring manager, greater confidence that you can learn what I need you to know to do the job I have for you to do.

With a degree, it isn't about the age on it or necessarily where it came from. It is about having it. Many places, your resume never gets to a hiring manager if some clerk can't find a degree somewhere on there. Recognized degree from accredited college is all it takes.

A college degree shows that you are trainable at that level and that you are willing to put in the time, effort and energy to learn some stuff other people said you need to learn. That gives me, as a hiring manager, greater confidence that you can learn what I need you to know to do the job I have for you to do.

you don�t say

Right, he can finish up his degree at any accredited college when the time is right for him if he needs to. You're making Racer's point for him. A Wake Forest bachelor's degree isn't this coveted thing that immediately gives you a giant leg up that some here like to think it is.

Looks like he can get a pretty inexpensive degree in English in Israel. Maybe even treat it as a semester or two abroad and transfer the credits back to Wake. That is probably not his plan though, he probably wants to make some money playing basketball.

https://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpedia/education-ulpan/higher-education/higher-education-in-israel/

Important Note: Most of the programs that are offered in English are private and therefore are not fully covered by the Student Authority (as with the Israeli programs). Tuition ranges from $6,000 – $25,000, depending on the program. If the program is recognized by the Student Authority, they will pay the equivalent of Israeli tuition (approx. $3,000 a year).

Israel is a beautiful country but not without some challenges. Most folks earn about 50% of the comparable level in the US, yet the cost of living is pretty similar. It is also really tough to find an affordable apartment. He might find out his disposable income is not that much.

I am 39.

Was let go from my job in late May. Started my new job in late June.

I did a number of interviews and had a ton of conversations in those few weeks of unemployment... Nobody cared where I went to undergrad. It is was all about experience and networking.

That said, I am not an ex-Division 1 college athlete. Nor have I ever had to hire anyone (outside of an entry level admin).

One benefit of a degree is evidence that you attended and took classes at a specific institution. That’s important for most of us but a D-1 athlete has that covered.

So, a 35 year old dude is going to be applying for entry level jobs where a college degree is needed to even get his resume into the pile? Really? Never mind that he can easily earn said degree in the off-season while still earning far more money than most recent Wake grads.

Many Wake folks seem stuck in a strict corporate mindset to the point that they have no idea how most of the job market works. The world is full of jobs at small/medium businesses, startups, and entrepreneurial opportunities where Craw's experiences and abilities (and perhaps saved seed money) will mean far more than some piece of paper from 15 years earlier.

Don’t most coaching jobs require a college degree? Which he could have gotten for free from a top school?

Don’t most coaching jobs require a college degree? Which he could have gotten for free from a top school?

From what I can tell, Crawford needs a lot more than a college degree to qualify for a college head coaching job anytime soon.

I’m not even talking about college.

Well then, I think you are incorrect. Most collegiate assistant jobs do not require a bachelors, high schools HCs do not, unless you also want to be a PE teach (or any subject) too, and the NBA doesn't require it either.

So, a 35 year old dude is going to be applying for entry level jobs where a college degree is needed to even get his resume into the pile? Really? Never mind that he can easily earn said degree in the off-season while still earning far more money than most recent Wake grads.

Many Wake folks seem stuck in a strict corporate mindset to the point that they have no idea how most of the job market works. The world is full of jobs at small/medium businesses, startups, and entrepreneurial opportunities where Craw's experiences and abilities (and perhaps saved seed money) will mean far more than some piece of paper from 15 years earlier.

Could you help me out with some description of the skill set that a guy playing basketball learns that isn't basketball? If he goes into coaching, that is a set of useful skills, but at the college level (at least, and at a lot of high schools) college degree REQUIRED.

One more year and he could have had a degree from Wake that didn't cost him anything, and he would have had the backing of an academic support staff. If he wants to finish elsewhere now, it will be on his own dime and most probably without the level of support provided at Wake.

Could you help me out with some description of the skill set that a guy playing basketball learns that isn't basketball? If he goes into coaching, that is a set of useful skills, but at the college level (at least, and at a lot of high schools) college degree REQUIRED.

One more year and he could have had a degree from Wake that didn't cost him anything, and he would have had the backing of an academic support staff. If he wants to finish elsewhere now, it will be on his own dime and most probably without the level of support provided at Wake.

The discipline it takes to carve out a successful career overseas and the experience of living in several foreign countries would be valuable to a lot of companies.

In the unlikely event he needs it to become a college head coach, it’s not going to be an issue.

Interesting read. Less money, but guaranteed money, better lifestyle, high turnover of players.

Most leagues have high turnover due to limitations on foreign players. If you aren't consistently good, you often get cut.

Most leagues have high turnover due to limitations on foreign players. If you aren't consistently good, you often get cut.

And getting cut means end of paychecks or moving on short notice to another team.

Well then, I think you are incorrect. Most collegiate assistant jobs do not require a bachelors, high schools HCs do not, unless you also want to be a PE teach (or any subject) too, and the NBA doesn't require it either.

College assistant and high school coaching jobs require a bachelor's degree.

Back