• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Trump Says

Things like Facebook and Instagram do continue to provide fuel for people that feel resentment. It’s just another reminder about how everyone was told that if you work hard, are American, you are the best and can do anything! Then the real world slaps you down but you look at others that are successful and ask why not me, that why not is then filled by well it’s clearly not my fault I’m a poor dumb as shit rube it is... insert any possible factor, the Mexicans, Black people, gay people, liberals etc...

The politics of resentment and jealously is a major factor in populist politics, I think. Certainly racism and sexism and homophobia plays a big part, but I've had rural relatives talk about how "unfair" it is that NC cities like Charlotte and Raleigh and Cary are doing so well, while their little towns are dying or stagnant. They even talk about why Boone is doing so well, and when you point out that it's a college town, they complain about how liberal higher ed is now. I don't think you can overestimate the sense of bitterness that many rural Trumpites have that they've been left behind by the modern economy, combined with real envy and resentment of more prosperous urban and suburban areas. Many of these folks could probably live with a national economic collapse that caused even more problems in rural areas and small towns, as long as they could see that urban residents were suffering and hurting too. I've heard rural folks talk about Charlotte the way they talk about Obama or Hillary - as a hateful, despised, frightening thing (they still go to Panthers or Hornets games if they can afford it, of course).

ETA: I should add that many of these small towns bear a large responsibility for their own decline, as they have often been dominated for generations by the same local gentry of a few families that often kept out competition for their industries, so when the factories closed they had no economic diversity at all. Not to mention that many of the folks living in these places fear change, and so are resistant to doing anything that might actually lure new jobs, because that would also lead to an influx of "outsiders".

I’m not sure that resentment exists independently of the logics of racism and xenophobia that sustain it.

The politics of resentment and jealously is a major factor in populist politics, I think. Certainly racism and sexism and homophobia plays a big part, but I've had rural relatives talk about how "unfair" it is that NC cities like Charlotte and Raleigh and Cary are doing so well, while their little towns are dying or stagnant. They even talk about why Boone is doing so well, and when you point out that it's a college town, they complain about how liberal higher ed is now. I don't think you can overestimate the sense of bitterness that many rural Trumpites have that they've been left behind by the modern economy, combined with real envy and resentment of more prosperous urban and suburban areas. Many of these folks could probably live with a national economic collapse that caused even more problems in rural areas and small towns, as long as they could see that urban residents were suffering and hurting too. I've heard rural folks talk about Charlotte the way they talk about Obama or Hillary - as a hateful, despised, frightening thing (they still go to Panthers or Hornets games if they can afford it, of course).

ETA: I should add that many of these small towns bear a large responsibility for their own decline, as they have often been dominated for generations by the same local gentry of a few families that often kept out competition for their industries, so when the factories closed they had no economic diversity at all. Not to mention that many of the folks living in these places fear change, and so are resistant to doing anything that might actually lure new jobs, because that would also lead to an influx of "outsiders".

Yep. And they resist the obvious changes. Stop voting for the same Republican leaders. Allow an influx of hard working immigrants who can start new businesses. Invest in public education.

I takes a great deal of cognitive dissonance to be pro-capitalism but hate the cities where capitalism thrives but where the people tend to favor government moderating it to allow more opportunities for more people.

Why are you catching feelings about this thread? If folks are still trump supporters they deserve to be looked down upon.

Why are you catching feelings about this thread? If folks are still trump supporters they deserve to be looked down upon.

I know I should’t be surprised by the arrogance, judgmentalism, and condescension on this board, but it amazes me when those qualities are ion such open display.

Trump supporters don’t deserve to be looked down upon. Their beliefs should be looked down upon, however.

And I find it incredible that people would use politics as a basis on which to invite or not invite a family member to Thanksgiving. Invite them, treat them kindly, and just ask that politics be off limits for the day. My maternal grandparents were very racist, to the point of referring to blacks as niggers. I remember a time when I was about ten years old when my mother told her mother that unless she kept those thoughts to herself, she would not be able see her grandchildren. That took care of that.

I don’t know how this thread is collectively defining “shitty person” but anybody that still supports Trump is objectively an idiot.

Another problem is that when people log onto a message board, facebook or what-have-you and see one person from across the aisle say something they disagree with, that opinion is then attributed to the entire party as a whole.

I really wish we had one of these threads for Obama for comparison. A Barry-O-meter, if you will. :rimshot:

It'd be nice to read over the 3 pages total over 8 years, mostly consisting of "You didn't build that" and "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

I really wish we had one of these threads for Obama for comparison. A Barry-O-meter, if you will. :rimshot:

It'd be nice to read over the 3 pages total over 8 years, mostly consisting of "You didn't build that" and "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

And the problem would be "You didn't build that" was taken totally out of context.

I know I should’t be surprised by the arrogance, judgmentalism, and condescension on this board, but it amazes me when those qualities are ion such open display.

Trump supporters don’t deserve to be looked down upon. Their beliefs should be looked down upon, however.

And I find it incredible that people would use politics as a basis on which to invite or not invite a family member to Thanksgiving. Invite them, treat them kindly, and just ask that politics be off limits for the day. My maternal grandparents were very racist, to the point of referring to blacks as niggers. I remember a time when I was about ten years old when my mother told her mother that unless she kept those thoughts to herself, she would not be able see her grandchildren. That took care of that.

I see where you’re coming from. But it makes more sense to judge someone based on their beliefs than their race, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality, etc.

Hard to pity people for their shitty circumstances when they support a billionaire by inheritance who is the walking embodiment of white male privelage.

So your mom was willing to uninvite your grandmother to Thanksgiving for her beliefs is what you’re saying. Thanks for the validation. It’s weird that the anti judgementalism masses have latched onto Donald fucking Trump as their champion. He doesn’t stand up for the downtrodden. He stands up for white Christians. That’s it.

So your mom was willing to uninvite your grandmother to Thanksgiving for her beliefs is what you’re saying. Thanks for the validation. It’s weird that the anti judgementalism masses have latched onto Donald fucking Trump as their champion. He doesn’t stand up for the downtrodden. He stands up for white Christians. That’s it.

No. My mom was willing to uninvite my grandmother for sharing her beliefs. Big difference. As I said in my earlier post, invite them, treat them kindly, and ask that politics (or in this case race) be off limits for the day.

No. My mom was willing to uninvite my grandmother for sharing her beliefs. Big difference. As I said in my earlier post, invite them, treat them kindly, and ask that politics (or in this case race) be off limits for the day.

Why? That’s like inviting your gay cousin, but telling them not to hold hands with their “friend” Steve because they might upset Aunt Edna. People are who they are. Some people are shitty.

Why? That’s like inviting your gay cousin, but telling them not to hold hands with their “friend” Steve because they might upset Aunt Edna. People are who they are. Some people are shitty.

Not an apt comparison. Racism is evil. Homosexuality is not. In your example, it’s Aunt Edna who needs to adjust her thinking.

Here’s the thing, we probably all have a threshold of shittiness that would warrant a withdrawal of the invitation. If uncle Jim raped a kid, you’re probably not setting a plate for him so long as he doesn’t talk about it over dinner. Just sounds like you don’t find racism that shitty. At least if it’s just older people from “a different time”.

Back