• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz OUT!

I understand BzzOuters and I understand BzzzWait peope, don't really get BzzzInners but to each there own...

But if THIS is the game that swings you, taking into account the rest of the non-conference games and last year... Then you really don't know anything about the game or coaching.

It's just that you watch a game like this and if you're me you figure we have a really good chance to lose and then we methodically go about doing it... it's just a real drag. And then you think all we need is more talent and better coaching and it's all fixed. And then you flip back to the football and get on with your life.

I was there tonight, about two rows back from Wellman. I had to restrain my comments. Since it was so quiet, everything I said above a whisper could be heard.

Back when I was in school (Rogers to Duncan era), nobody sat down most of the game. Now I see why the lower level seats are so comfortable- fans will have no reason to stand unless it is to get up go to get a snack, go to the restroom, or leave.

It's just that you watch a game like this and if you're me you figure we have a really good chance to lose and then we methodically go about doing it... it's just a real drag. And then you think all we need is more talent and better coaching and it's all fixed. And then you flip back to the football and get on with your life.

Yep. It's the apathy and disinterested that Bz has created in all of us that truly disgusts me. We were once a proud and excited fan base. Now, we're just... sad.

I think we're better this year than last. I'm not saying this is a good team but it's not as terrible as last year. There's still time for Bz to right the ship. I think we're moving in the right direction (and this is from someone who thought Bz was an insane hire).

I guess what I see is a few historically poor individual performances on top of missing our best player, and it's obvious that there are easily 10-15 other losses far more condemning of [Redacted] than this one. He had to play a walk-on to get Tony to actually try to make good decisions... I understand it being the "Tony out" or "Carson Out" game... But a defining [Redacted] game? No. Not even close.

If he's an awful coach then an awful coach can take great players to the NBA playoffs. If he's a good coach then a good coach can watch poor players lose to Wofford.

In the 2nd half Nikita, Chase, and Carson combined for ZERO field goals. Players have to play.

Are you saying that K and Dean were bad coaches at the time, but improved to become better coaches (because they were young)?

Because I'd disagree with that assessment.

I'm saying 59 year old buzz is not analogous to 33 year old K and 30 year old Smith with a combined 5 years head coaching experience. You can parse whatever you want to out of that.

I guess what I see is a few historically poor individual performances on top of missing our best player, and it's obvious that there are easily 10-15 other losses far more condemning of [Redacted] than this one. He had to play a walk-on to get Tony to actually try to make good decisions... I understand it being the "Tony out" or "Carson Out" game... But a defining [Redacted] game? No. Not even close.

If he's an awful coach then an awful coach can take great players to the NBA playoffs. If he's a good coach then a good coach can watch poor players lose to Wofford.

In the 2nd half Nikita, Chase, and Carson combined for ZERO field goals. Players have to play.

Coaches have to have the ability to MOTIVATE their players to play. Bzzzzzz doesn't have this ability.

Coaches have to have the ability to MOTIVATE their players to play. Bzzzzzz doesn't have this ability.

You think Chase is lacking motivation? Because I think he's just a freshman who had an awful game and has a ton of potential.

How about this. Do you think Chase will ever in his lifetime play another 36 consecutive minutes of basketball without scoring? I don't.

Well, Odom lucked into Duncan. And Bzz lucked into Melo. That's how it goes sometimes. But getting to the NBA playoffs isn't exactly awe inspiring. Nor is lucking into a veteran Air Force team. But Bzz is going to do fine down the road. The NBA always needs advance scouts.

You think Chase is lacking motivation? Because I think he's just a freshman who had an awful game and has a ton of potential.

How about this. Do you think Chase will ever in his lifetime play another 36 consecutive minutes of basketball without scoring? I don't.

I am very excited about his future! That is not the point though. The point is that the whole team, other than Travis, doesn't look motivated.

Bzzz sounds like Bob from Accounting. It doesn't surprise me that motivating college kids probably isn't his strong point.

I am very excited about his future! That is not the point though. The point is that the whole team, other than Travis, doesn't look motivated.

The whole team other than Chase and Travis you mean. And not CJ obviously. And not Nikita. I mean, he has plenty of faults, but he's like a crazy psycho out there 99% of the time.

So really we're talking Carson and Tony, who in all honesty are really just being exposed as not being ACC caliber.

I think when Moto and CMM get here, suddenly we won't have this mysterious motivation problem. And when Devin Thomas starts we won't have a mysterious inability to coach rebounding.

I don't believe a coach has to jump around like an idiot to motivate players.

The whole team other than Chase and Travis you mean. And not CJ obviously. And not Nikita. I mean, he has plenty of faults, but he's like a crazy psycho out there 99% of the time.

So really we're talking Carson and Tony, who in all honesty are really just being exposed as not being ACC caliber.

I think when Moto and CMM get here, suddenly we won't have this mysterious motivation problem. And when Devin Thomas starts we won't have a mysterious inability to coach rebounding.

I think you're probably right about the "motivation" thing, but [Redacted]'s teams have been consistently poor rebounding squads at every level he has coached. At this point I think we can say there's nothing mysterious about [Redacted]'s teams not hitting the boards, there's just something about his scheme that prevents them from doing so. I don't expect the arrival of one freshman to change that trend.

I'd feel more sorry for Buzz if he hadn't been such a shitty coach to his current and past players.

Lied to Air Force players.
Dismissed Colorado players from the team despite no ill discipline.
And threw his Wake Forest players completely under the bus.

Why does a man that does all this deserve our pity?

I always forgot about that. That was not cool.

3 star Devin Thomas must be the greatest rebounder in the history of high school basketball.

I like Chase but I'm sure he will have stretches like that again. We played Wofford. If he can have that kind of night against that level of defense then it wouldn't surprise me in the least for it to happen to him again in Cameron.

Every day since Bzz was hired, the program has gotten worse. Even last year attendance was higher than it is now.

DCDeac is killing it in this thread.

Bz's problem is "coaching" rebounding. Which I'm not even sure is totally coachable. He's a good in-game coach, and people seem to agree he's a good X's and O's guy. Honestly, in terms of motivation, I think he's done exceptionally well this year. We seem to always come out really, really well in the second half, and he's got Ty playing the best basketball of his career. Carson and TC play lazily a lot, but I'm not willing to put that on Bz. Maybe they just aren't good players. And Nikita's a disaster, but he's giving it 110% every night, and it's hard to argue that.

What's always astonished me about the BzOuters is their apparently ability to differentiate between team talent and coaching ability. How are you guys doing that? What I see is a thin, mostly untalented team that, with the exception of rebounding effort, is generally playing pretty well. Do you see some team full of studs that Bz is bring down with his poor coaching?

We're 9-5, we've won a game we weren't supposed to have a shot in (Nebraska), and were literally one minute away from another of those (Dayton). We lost a couple of tough matchups that we weren't really supposed to win (Seton Hall, Richmond). So, in a down year for the ACC, with 6 combined games against GT, Clemson, and BC (and winnable games vs VPI and @ MD), it's not all that hard to imagine a 15 or 16 win year this year. I'm of the opinion that that would be a pretty remarkable over achievement for a team that is as thin and as top heavy as Wake is. Would that be on Bz? At all?

Back