• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz: "I think you're asking the wrong person."

Weren't we just talking about him having a son? Just saying that OGBDeac was making a large set of assumptions.

Being a good dad can mean a lot of different things.

Regardless, it just seems a little to personal/not related to the job to discuss on the boards.

How many of you, who have played organized sports, were ever motivated by a coach in the locker room? I had a coach one time play the Patton soundtrack before a football game. No difference in our play. We always played to the best of our abilities out of dedication to our teammates. Coaches taught us how to play, the desire came from within.

Having looked at the clip that started this thread, am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with it? Watching this and clips from earlier in the season, makes me believe that Jeff is using a leadership technique of "us versus them" where the us is the immediate family of the team and the "them" is us and the other distracting forces (I believe Pogo commented succinctly on this). This leadership technique is wonderfully demonstrated in the book Soul of a New Machine by Pulitzer Prize winning author Tracy Kidder.

However, I commend everybody for conducting the most detailed analysis of a short film clip since Zapruder.

For my experience (only through high school) it's not the motivating down time speeches (I was baseball so halftime didn't apply) that did anything but the coach correcting an attitude/flaw or reinforcing an aspect that was done well. "You're dropping your shoulder when you swing." "Your stance is too narrow against this pitcher." "Good job shading over for that pull hitter." Things like that made a difference. Win one for the Gipper speeches only really work in the movies.

The problem is all of that rap music they're playing in the locker room.

I have had season tickets to Wake Basketball for the past 39 years, and have never lived in the State of North Carolina. I have had floor seats for basketball the past two seasons. Even in the Bob Staak era, I had some level of hope and there was some level of enthusiasm. This debacle called Jeff [Redacted] was a joke from the beginning and continues to be a disaster of unprecedented proportions. I tried to go to games last year, hoping [Redacted] would prove me wrong and I might start to see some redeeming characteristics. This year, for the first time in 39 years, I have missed a number of games, and have been glad I missed each of them. The fan base has eroded, the student support is non-existent, the media knows [Redacted] is in way over his head, and many of us have become apathetic for the first time ever. [Redacted]'s interviews are insulting to fans and the team. I feel sorry for our assistant coaches and our players for having to work and play under this dufus. Ron Wellman recently sent me a rather lengthy email which continued to reassure me that [Redacted] is the right guy for the job and he is doing all the right things. I hear what Ron Wellman is saying, but I see what I see. And I see a once proud program being quickly turned into a laughing stock and a mockery. [Redacted]'s combined records and futility at Colorado and Wake Forest speak for themselves. Hopefully there will be action taken by some level of authority to end this hideous two year chapter and get someone in here who has some charisma, some enthusiasm, and some credibility. And maybe this time we will have a legitimate search committee as opposed to a unilateral decision to bring in a friend to change the culture.

I wanted to quote this just because I think it says alot.

My grandfather is in the same boat, Deke. He has a box at Groves and until this year, had a box at the Joel. He gave up the box in the Joel after last year and is barely going to games this year. He is one of the biggest supporters of the university that I know and it is just amazing. I honestly can't remember him ever missing a game.

I think I was Bzz wait and see, but I'm firmly Bzzout now. The sooner it happens, the sooner we can start recovering from this horrible experiment.

For my experience (only through high school) it's not the motivating down time speeches (I was baseball so halftime didn't apply) that did anything but the coach correcting an attitude/flaw or reinforcing an aspect that was done well. "You're dropping your shoulder when you swing." "Your stance is too narrow against this pitcher." "Good job shading over for that pull hitter." Things like that made a difference. Win one for the Gipper speeches only really work in the movies.

Yeah, it's the coach's actual coaching and his relationship with the players down the stretch that matters the most. I had a high school coach that was a straight -up asshole, majorly played favorites, and liked to mindfuck people just for the hell of it. Playing for him made me hate a sport that I had loved since I was about 5 years old. I can see why having a dick like Bzzz as head coach would be less than inspiring for the guys on the team.

Yeah, it's the coach's actual coaching and his relationship with the players down the stretch that matters the most. I had a high school coach that was a straight -up asshole, majorly played favorites, and liked to mindfuck people just for the hell of it. Playing for him made me hate a sport that I had loved since I was about 5 years old. I can see why having a dick like Bzzz as head coach would be less than inspiring for the guys on the team.

I really don't think he is a mean person, or a dick to the players, he just simply isn't a good head coach.

sloth killed it in this thread. Bonus points for calling the players pariahs under Bzz.

Tend to agree with this and the others who have stated similar opinions. But there probably is a difference between allowed to have media access for WF events and getting non-public information from sources at Wake. Don't think WF would/could cut off media access but definitely could cause the contacts inside the AD to dry up.

I guess nobody at Wake, including Wellman, can read between the lines of what Dan is writing and implying. Pretty clear Dan is upset and doesn't like a lot of things going on. Instead of coming out and doing some solid reporting he puts up this video and is snarky about having to go talk to the players. If Dan thinks Bzz should answer his question direction, he should step up and say it.

My point originally about the local DFW reporters and Jerry Jones (not to say anybody is like Jerry) was that these reports are blunt and straight to the point, yet they still have their jobs and still are able to report on the 'boys.

Dan is the only reporter, essentially, in the country that covers Wake. It would be a brilliant move by Wake to totally cut off the one guy that covers the team.

The reason Dan has run out of questions, as he seems to be saying, is that he won't really ask the tough questions. Seriously with this epic failure, he should have quite a few questions he should be asking. Given the internet age we are in, he certainly could find enough angle to work this from while still remaining professional.

IMO, his 'implied' approach is less professional than if he would stick out his neck and ask some tough questions.

I see Dan's blog post as a whiner saying 'the coach didn't answer my question so now I'm going to post about it on my blog'. I think it would have been quite reasonable to press Bzz on that question. After all it's not like Dan and Bzz are buddies in the first place.

Dan is definitely a whiner. No doubt about that. I do think Wake would restrict his access. I don't think they want press nowadays. And clearly Wellman is capable of making dumb moves.

And of course if Dan had his access restricted he'd just whine about it. :)

I guess nobody at Wake, including Wellman, can read between the lines of what Dan is writing and implying. Pretty clear Dan is upset and doesn't like a lot of things going on. Instead of coming out and doing some solid reporting he puts up this video and is snarky about having to go talk to the players. If Dan thinks Bzz should answer his question direction, he should step up and say it.

My point originally about the local DFW reporters and Jerry Jones (not to say anybody is like Jerry) was that these reports are blunt and straight to the point, yet they still have their jobs and still are able to report on the 'boys.

Dan is the only reporter, essentially, in the country that covers Wake. It would be a brilliant move by Wake to totally cut off the one guy that covers the team.

The reason Dan has run out of questions, as he seems to be saying, is that he won't really ask the tough questions. Seriously with this epic failure, he should have quite a few questions he should be asking. Given the internet age we are in, he certainly could find enough angle to work this from while still remaining professional.

IMO, his 'implied' approach is less professional than if he would stick out his neck and ask some tough questions.

I see Dan's blog post as a whiner saying 'the coach didn't answer my question so now I'm going to post about it on my blog'. I think it would have been quite reasonable to press Bzz on that question. After all it's not like Dan and Bzz are buddies in the first place.

Equating college and professional coverage is inherently flawed though. Hundreds of reporters cover the Cowboys and all have pretty much equal access as far as pre- and post game interviews, updates and whatnot. Dan is the only one covering us and is allowed into areas that few reporters are able to have. Also, if Dan goes full out into blistering Buzz, his access could get greatly restricted. If he's only able to get as much information as local news channels get, why would the Journal keep funding his position?

I agree that it comes out whiny and that Dan is prone to whining/pouting when he doesn't get the answer he wants, but I don't blame him for not trying to push too many buttons while working for a paper that is forced to reduce itself on a regular basis.

And just exactly what great 'insight' has Dan's amazing access to our program provided in the last two years?

Sadly, we learn more from these boards than what he's reporting on right now.

I can only assume we only get some sort of inside information from the program when things are going reasonably well since we are getting nothing now.

Clearly a difference between a smaller college and pro sports, but some of the things reporters have written about Jerry would make me think he wouldn't answer some of those reporter's phone calls, yet he does.

thank you 83!!! This is the point I was trying to make. Anyone without blinders on can see that this is a character asaasination by collins. i wouldn't be surprised if DV7 didnt put collins up to this or is somehow behind collins complete 180
mark my word, it's the buzzouters who will someday be eating the unwiped bottom, and then i wouldn't blame wellman for demanding a written apology by this board's founders

of course, DV7 doesn't have any class so I wouldn't hold your breath

Have we seriously never been able to pull off a "Fire Buzz" chant at the Joel?

Exactly. And what Jaybone and others don't consider is that this is the freakin' NBA. If you have any ability to coach whatsoever, you'll get another head job. Mike Brown is coaching the freakin' Lakers for goodness sake.

Back