• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can the ACC become a quality Power 5 league?

The ACC will be taken more seriously if they start giving coaches 10-year contracts with iron clad $86 million buyouts.

Lots of teams have looked good and will look good against A&M this year.

BTW, was there ever a more craptastic over-hyped game than Miami at A&M this year?

Aside from the fact that the game was an unwatchable 17-9 rock-fight, where A&M won despite amassing a total of 264 yards, and being out gained by over 100 yards. Those two teams are a combined 3-7 against other BCS teams with losses to MTSU, App. State, Duke and South Carolina among others. Horrible programs.

So Pilch, you again have been ever so wrong about Mack as evidenced by this year where he has the Holes positioned to finish first in the Coastal and play Clemson in the ACCCG! It will be their 2nd appearance there with Mack should they make it. So wrong you are as when you said when Mack was hired he was too old to recruit. They have also beaten us two straight years after we led by 20 in the late 3rd Qtr. (A streak I hope ends on Nov 12!)

Meanwhile SC is coming back under Shane Beamer, just beat Jumbo & A&M and has gotten ranked with a 5-2 record. Not too shabby fir a “crappy team” as you say!

FWIW, Pilch tries to be an ACC homer when it just doesn’t work. We are a Clemson dominated league and our teams need to learn to beat them to get to the next level.
Dude continually shits on the quality of the ACC then boasts about UNC being in position to potentially win the inferior Coastal Division (along with a few other shitty teams). Which is it?

South Carolina may now be on par with App State, so they have that going for them.

UNC-South Carolina would be a fun matchup. Probably within a point of each other on a neutral field. Let's make it happen!

We are a Clemson dominated league and our teams need to learn to beat them to get to the next level.
Since 2014, Clemson has lost 7 ACC regular season games and Alabama has lost 7 SEC regular season games. In that time frame, Clemson has won 6/8 ACC championships and Alabama has won 6/8 SEC championships. Neither team has lost a conference championship game in that time frame. Clemson has made the CFP 6/8 years, and Alabama has made the CFP 7/8 years.

Is the SEC an Alabama dominated league, and do SEC teams need to learn to beat Alabama in order to get to the next level? Discuss.

UNC-South Carolina would be a fun matchup. Probably within a point of each other on a neutral field. Let's make it happen!
They played in the Mayo Bowl in 2021, so that matchup won't be happening unfortunately.

Texas A&M is all but assured a losing record. Jimbo is a fraud.

App State fans storming the streets of Boone has not aged well. I hate the App fanbase more than any football fanbase.

Did The Reff really start a 9 page thread boasting about the academics and football at South Carolina? What is this, the fucking Twilight Zone?

Did The Reff really start a 9 page thread boasting about the academics and football at South Carolina? What is this, the fucking Twilight Zone?

Apparently LB has never heard of the Darla Moore School of Business!*

*(Full disclosure: I was born in Columbia and my mom got her PhD at SCar and they are probably my second favorite fball team. You can get a quality education anywhere if you look for it and the elitism on this board is a bit much sometimes, But the ref takes are a bit much)

Yes. But did we talk about what a lovely setting USC is in? I can't think of a better place to spend four years than Columbia.

USC has it all. Great city. Great academics. Great sports tradition. SEC affiliation. Unreal combination of things. Typing it out makes me wish I had gone there

Two of my kids went to USC in the Honors Program there as scholarship recipients. One has graduated and got a very unusually good job in the career field he always wanted and is well off to the races, and the other is going on to graduate school at NYU in the graduate program she always wanted. To say that we have had a good experience with USC (my wife also went there) as the basis of their education would be an understatement, and we are quite proud of their USC educations. I don't personally see the need for the overt "good college/bad college" elitism here that is frankly obnoxious and boorish. You never know who is listening and its unnecessary. Point being, I don't know who The Reff is or what he said to deserve the vitriol and what caused the slamming of USC but once again I don't know why we have to always eat our own here. No doubt, someone here will have the reflex to find a way to "eat me" as well based on this post and to that let me offer a preemptive eat me.

Last edited:
The reff has a well-deserved reputation as one of the worst posters on the boards history and just a total d******. I've always heard good things about the USC business school so I'm sure it's a very good program

Two of my kids went to USC in the Honors Program there as scholarship recipients. One has graduated and got a very unusually good job in the career field he always wanted and is well off to the races, and the other is going on to graduate school at NYU in the graduate program she always wanted. To say that we have had a good experience with USC (my wife also went there) as the basis of their education would be an understatement, and we are quite proud of their USC educations. I don't personally see the need for the overt "good college/bad college" elitism here that is frankly obnoxious and boorish. You never know who is listening and its unnecessary. Point being, I don't know who The Reff is or what he said to deserve the vitriol and what caused the slamming of USC but once again I don't know why we have to always eat our own here. No doubt, someone here will have the reflex to find a way to "eat me" as well based on this post and to that let me offer a preemptive eat me.
I don't know much about the quality of education at South Carolina or what it is like to live in Columbia. But I do know that the Ref is always running down the ACC and Wake Forest and pumping up the SEC and South Carolina. He is insufferable about it. He is a Wake grad but apparently his son didn't get into Wake (or chose not to go) and went to South Carolina.

As a professor I will say that most schools in the country are fine. They all have great professors. They all have great students. Some have more resources than others but that doesn’t even matter for all fields. Class size is a big difference between WF and a lot of schools but that’s not even something everyone cares about. The vitriol against Reff is because he hates WF and the ACC while loving UofSC. He can go post there.

As a professor I will say that most schools in the country are fine. They all have great professors. They all have great students. Some have more resources than others but that doesn’t even matter for all fields. Class size is a big difference between WF and a lot of schools but that’s not even something everyone cares about. The vitriol against Reff is because he hates WF and the ACC while loving UofSC. He can go post there.

This. I'm not in academia but, agree like most, that every school has something to offer. I'm sure Darla was a wonderful person.

The bizarro comes from being a graduate of Wake (apparently) and his posting behavior against Wake. I would find better things to do with my time and sure as hell wouldn't be on here. If you hate it, just move on to other interests.

Back