• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'Can't be with that sweet stuff'....yes folks, that just happened.

I guess I'm surprised that ANYONE is surprised by this guy's remarks. I'm going to honest with you - homophobic humor is every bit as alive and well as it was when I was a kid. If you made a gay-bashing joke at my office, I guarantee you most everyone would laugh at it, men and women alike. That is, if you are at all good at telling jokes. For the most part it's been like that everywhere I've worked/lived (corporate/suburbs). The only place I see "outrage" is in the media (who have a financial incentive) and a few folks on the internet. Now, I'm not defending homophobic humor (it's childish), but I do wonder why I don't run into you sensitive types more often during the normal course of my life. Is it just "luck"? Shrug.

this wasn't homophobic humor. this was/is bigotry. Anyone claiming what he said 'isn't a big deal' has no focus, no perspective and should be forced into some gay lovin by Lexington Steel...... at Giant Stadium, with 50,000 people watching.

Do people believe that this is a minority viewpoint in NFL locker rooms?

Do people believe that this is a minority view in the African American community?

Do people believe that this is a minority view in the African American community?

Was thinking the same thing. People act with outrage as though he is an outlier. He is telling the truth about NFL locker rooms. It may not be appropriate or right, but it is reality.

Ehhhhhh, not sure. The viewpoint of 'I don't want that shit in here' may be minority...the viewpoint of 'I really don't care, just don't talk to me about it' would be more like majority, in my opinion. What he was spreading was hatred. I'm not sure the majority would spread hatred.

I don't think the AA community has too much different viewpoint as others, Whites for example. You found out one of your best friends was gay, would you have a negative reaction? I wouldn't.... but I wouldn't want all of my friends to be gay...not only for the reason I don't want to be around a bunch of people talking about Rim jobs, how am I going to cruise for chicks when I'm by myself because all my friends are at a gay bar.

Not sure if that answers your questions, but I just feel in general, football players, blacks, whites, basketball players, Lawyers, whoever in general has a similar feeling. Gay bashing and bigotry is inappropriate. If you are gay, fine, just don't stare at my ass all day and tell me how you fantasize about blowing me...

How do you not see the irony of this post?

You're fighting bigoted views with your own stereotypes. Savvy.

Are you denying that, in general, those in southern, more conservative areas, have less progressive views on homosexuality?

Ehhhhhh, not sure. The viewpoint of 'I don't want that shit in here' may be minority...the viewpoint of 'I really don't care, just don't talk to me about it' would be more like majority, in my opinion. What he was spreading was hatred. I'm not sure the majority would spread hatred.

I don't think the AA community has too much different viewpoint as others, Whites for example. You found out one of your best friends was gay, would you have a negative reaction? I wouldn't.... but I wouldn't want all of my friends to be gay...not only for the reason I don't want to be around a bunch of people talking about Rim jobs, how am I going to cruise for chicks when I'm by myself because all my friends are at a gay bar.

Not sure if that answers your questions, but I just feel in general, football players, blacks, whites, basketball players, Lawyers, whoever in general has a similar feeling. Gay bashing and bigotry is inappropriate. If you are gay, fine, just don't stare at my ass all day and tell me how you fantasize about blowing me...

That is simply not the reality of the sporting world we live in. Similar to homosexuals in the military. The PC answer is to say that nobody cares as long as though don't try to hit on everyone, but the truth is a lot closer to 'we would rather not have to deal with the issue, and therefore don't want homosexuals in our company'. And if anything thinks this is limited to the South they are idiots.

Was thinking the same thing. People act with outrage as though he is an outlier. He is telling the truth about NFL locker rooms. It may not be appropriate or right, but it is reality.

Doesn't matter whether it's the reality of the locker room. You don't express that opinion in public.

That is simply not the reality of the sporting world we live in. Similar to homosexuals in the military. The PC answer is to say that nobody cares as long as though don't try to hit on everyone, but the truth is a lot closer to 'we would rather not have to deal with the issue, and therefore don't want homosexuals in our company'. And if anything thinks this is limited to the South they are idiots.

See, I don't know if this is indeed the case, but I get your point. If there was a way to force people to be honest, and they polled 100 people, the only responses the media would broadcast would be the negative one. I'm sure the question has been asked 1000 times, but we only hear the answers like the ones from yesterday.

Oh, but I totally agree, that anyone who thinks bigotry towards gays is only in the south is about as ignorant as it gets.

Are you denying that, in general, those in southern, more conservative areas, have less progressive views on homosexuality?

If i were to say that, in general, gay men don't follow sports, particularly football, and this whole thing is just a huge WGAF, that would make me insensitive.

We pick and chose who it's noble to defend.

As a Gamecock Fan, I can say that Chris Culliver totally sucked during college. He definitely did not bring that sweet stuff to the field. I am shocked that he is in the NFL, must less playing a big role on a super bowl team.

The guy is an idiot for saying it but let's not act like he is the only NFL athlete that feels that way.

There is no question that in sports, especially football, there is a culture that is discriminatory towards homosexuals.

I grew up playing smear the queer and had multiple coaches tell me to quit being a fag or playing like a sissy.

At the time I didn't know any better and didn't think anything of it but that's the generation that is in the NFL right now. Its going to be a decade at least before that mentality leaves the locker room.

I think it's happening a lot quicker than you think. A lot of the players are in their early/mid 20's now, and grew up with a lot more classmates in middle/high school who were out or who didn't care about people's orientation. Much, much more so than the players in their 30's, and more than the players in their late 20's.

On what evidence are those of you who assume this is the majority opinion basing your statements?

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that a private/anonymous survey might reveal higher levels of acceptance or tolerance than most of you assume. I'm not talking 50%, but perhaps 25-30%. Purely speculation on my part, but I do believe it.

Its an interesting sociological analysis though - what factors allow for the prevalence of this kind of bigotry in athletes? Is it purely based on a pseudo-macho ideal? Or do things like the prevalence of religion among athletes have something to do with it?

Really? You're REALLY offended by what I wrote? Because I didn't find it to be a big deal, you're offended? Because I think that people making it a big deal actually undermines the cause, you're offended? Man that whole choose your battles wisely philosophy must really suck then.

I think you're just offended because I wasn't offended by what the guy said.
Being a drama queen doesn't help your cause. The statement, "gay people tend to bitch like women and perpetuate the stereotype" is really offensive. It's just a stupid, useless thing to post, especially on the sports board.

I love the argument that making a big deal out of homophobic statements hurts the cause. Because it would be SO much better for gay rights if everybody's homophobia was just swept under the rug and kept hush hush.

That's absurd

Back