• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina (-5) at Wake - 8:00 ESPNU

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/05/3509476/unc-wastes-second-chances-in-73.html#storylink=cpy

The Demon Deacons, who for the third time since last season beat a top-20 team at home, limited the 19th-ranked Tar Heels scoring chances with a physical, bruising defensive effort.

Offensively, meanwhile, Wake often sliced through the Tar Heels’ defense – UNC used a zone on a couple of possessions, Williams said – and penetrated to the rim for easier scoring opportunities. Travis McKie, the Demon Deacons’ senior forward, finished with a game high 16 points.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/05/3509476/unc-wastes-second-chances-in-73.html#storylink=cpy

The Demon Deacons, who for the third time since last season beat a top-20 team at home, limited the 19th-ranked Tar Heels scoring chances with a physical, bruising defensive effort.

Offensively, meanwhile, Wake often sliced through the Tar Heels’ defense – UNC used a zone on a couple of possessions, Williams said – and penetrated to the rim for easier scoring opportunities. Travis McKie, the Demon Deacons’ senior forward, finished with a game high 16 points.

This is high level analysis "Wake often sliced through the Tar Heels' defense" which is qualified by comments from Roy Williams, UNC's head coach. Jesus.

UNC played right into our hands by turning it over, not pounding the post and getting out of position on D. We are a terrible halfcourt team, but are solid in transition and our bigs pass well when defense breaks down. A more disciplined team would have crushed us last night.

Refs couldn't have enjoyed watching the reply on the monitor and seeing the part of the play where Cav did a belly flop on him, to no officiating effect. Not ejecting him had the feel of an ad hoc make-up call for just having missed a fairly evident foul during the play.

Maybe, but the ball was loose momentarily and you can't fault a guy for hitting the floor. By the books, intentional use of the elbow as a weapon is an automatic ejection. They blew it.

Ha, the Holes absolutely lost the game. Marcus Paige missed about 3 or 4 wide open 3s, McDonald the same. They committed a bunch of stupid turnovers, and could not finish at all on putbacks off of offensive rebounds. And Roy was stupid not to go to a zone to cut off our dribble penetration and force us to take jump shots. If UNC looks semi-competent in those areas, they would have won by 10. But you do have to give our guys credit for taking advantage of UNC's missteps with their aggressiveness and effort.

You are full of Krapola...a heaping steaming pile of it perfumed with your personal distaste for the win.

either that or he simply watched the basketball game. one of those two things.

look, i love wake and always want our program to succeed. i'm not rooting against wake but we won by technical knock out. WGAF

I thought Wake pretty much dominated. We missed a ton of wide open threes and so did they. We were more physical and got to the line more, and promptly missed a ton of free throws. They beat us down on the glass, but we were the better team last night.

the second half we definitely stepped up the intensity, no question. but we only won that game, playing WITH intensity, because of a ridiculous number of unforced turnovers, a dumb technical foul and a few missed shots.

lowf with all these "unc lost" posts from our own

we played better; we deserve the headline

I thought most of Carolina's shots were right around the rim. They just missed a bunch and didn't do a good job creating contact to get to the FT line.

And I recall UNC going zone for several possessions in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the ball was loose momentarily and you can't fault a guy for hitting the floor. By the books, intentional use of the elbow as a weapon is an automatic ejection. They blew it.

Probably. My comment was more when I saw then what should have happened.

Carolina gets a ton of calls, Dook generally gets a few more, and everyone else usually gets screwed. It changes to some degree in road games and I think last night was as about as good a whistle as Wake is going to get against the Heels.

Well they lost it but Wake won it too. There wasn't much of a question who was better last night, Wake basically dominated.

That article was a piece of shit.

The free throw line played better defense that Carolina.

Cavanaugh clearly fouled McDonald on that loose ball play. He jumped on top of him. McDonald then clearly elbowed him in the face.

Why do I feel like we're gonna lay a complete egg on the road vs. UVA?

Buzz doesn't have a great track record on the road and you don't understand how to muster up a positive thought or comment. That is why you feel like that.

Back