• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina (-5) at Wake - 8:00 ESPNU

From 2002 to 2010 WF recruited 18 4 stars and 1 5 star player. Some of these were named Swinton, Walker, and Woods who proved to be much less than advertised.

Over the same period UNC recruited 14 5 star players and 14 4 star players and that includes 2007 when they did not bring in a single recruit. The disparity between Wake and Duke will be even greater.

the fact that they didn't work out doesn't take away from the fact that we recruited them as ranked

Our fan base really is pretty annoying. As a group we will bend over backwards to downplay any success and talk bad about our own team. Sure, Carolina didn't play their best. But, you know what, neither did we. We were aggressive, we played hard, we played together, we buckled down on the boards in the second half and we won the game. We missed enough free throws to put the game away, we made stupid plays down the stretch (CMM driving out of control when we were up and should be running clock, etc.) but we managed to pull it out. That is all there is to it.

And, going off of how our players have been treated in the past on those 'elbow' calls, Mcdonald definitely should have been tossed. We have had players get flagrant 1s when the other player has shoved their face into our elbow.... Give me a break!

That's as LOWF as it gets. For the 20 years pre-buzz, we regularly fielded teams comprised mainly of 4 and 5 star recruits.

It is probably more accurate to say we regularly fielded teams comprised of mainly 3 and 4 star recruits (admit I am just going on memory but think we prob had more 3s than 5s?). Doesn't change the fact that our overall talent level is noticeably down from Pre-Bz.

Wake's talent by the stars had been a step or so below UNC and Duke, but also steps above the rest of the conference except Maryland and Tech.

Are you talking about the previous 20, Ph? If memory serves, Tech did a good job of bringing in top talent (considering their relative position in the league) but struggled to surround with enough talented depth. Were we really steps above NCState (cue tiers)? They definitely had a string of baaaad years that probably makes that true.

That's as LOWF as it gets. For the 20 years pre-buzz, we regularly fielded teams comprised mainly of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I guess one of us missed the previous 25 years of WF hoops.

You can check Scout's database & see for yourself that Skip recruited just a many 3-stars as 4-stars (11 each plus 3 5-stars & 1 2-star)

Dino was better in his 2 classes (4 4-star, 2 3-starS, & 1 2-star).

The scout rankings don't really go back far enough to compare Odom's recruits but I seriously doubt he had a majority of 4/5 star recruits. My guess is that Odom had under 20 4/5 stars & at least 20 3/2/1 stars

Rodney
Chill
Tree
Steve Rich
Charlie Harrison (transfer)
Mahktar
Stringfellow
Rutland (maybe)
Woods
Tate Decker (transfer)
Rok
Griffin
Viduaretta
Darius
Dawson
Broderick Hicks
Antwan Scott
Levy
Vytas

compared to the following

Stan King
Marc Blucas
Robert Doggett
Cordell Llewellen
Stacy Castle
Bobby Fitzgibbons
Scooter Banks
Barry Canty
Antonio Jackson
Aron McMillian
Mark Schoone
Goolsby
Braswell
Armond Wilson
Derrick Hicks
Rasmussen
Sean Allen
Rodney West
Niki Arinze
Josh Shoemaker
Ervin Murray
J-Ho
AW
Schoetz
Downey

Our fan base really is pretty annoying. As a group we will bend over backwards to downplay any success and talk bad about our own team. Sure, Carolina didn't play their best. But, you know what, neither did we. We were aggressive, we played hard, we played together, we buckled down on the boards in the second half and we won the game. We missed enough free throws to put the game away, we made stupid plays down the stretch (CMM driving out of control when we were up and should be running clock, etc.) but we managed to pull it out. That is all there is to it.

And, going off of how our players have been treated in the past on those 'elbow' calls, Mcdonald definitely should have been tossed. We have had players get flagrant 1s when the other player has shoved their face into our elbow.... Give me a break!

The only thing annoying about our fanbase is rushing the fucking court after beating the number 19 team in the country.

From 2002 to 2010 WF recruited 18 4 stars and 1 5 star player. Some of these were named Swinton, Walker, and Woods who proved to be much less than advertised.

Over the same period UNC recruited 14 5 star players and 14 4 star players and that includes 2007 when they did not bring in a single recruit. The disparity between Wake and Duke will be even greater.

I agree with your premise, but during the time frame you specify, Wake recruited three five star players - Paul, Aminu, and Walker. At least they were all rated five star on Scout. Did not check Rivals.

My statement that Wake recruited mostly 4 and 5 stars was a reach, but most of the time, over 50% of Wake's roster was 4 star or above. Some make it sound like we historically get the dregs of ACC recruiting and are lucky to compete. That hasn't been the case. Outside of Duke and UNC, we have generally matched up with the next level of the conference on paper.

My statement that Wake recruited mostly 4 and 5 stars was a reach, but most of the time, over 50% of Wake's roster was 4 star or above. Some make it sound like we historically get the dregs of ACC recruiting and are lucky to compete. That hasn't been the case. Outside of Duke and UNC, we have generally matched up with the next level of the conference on paper.

I have not read this whole thread, but generally, I agree with this statement. It's not like our recruiting classes look like Wake's football recruiting classes. The majority of commits are in the 4 star arena, with exceptions on both ends. In general, we will never compete consistantly for 5star talent at the level of Duke/UNC, but that's not a negative as 95% of the country doesn't.

I think we've had a steady diet of 3's and 4's, with a few Chris King's, Chills, CP's, etc thrown in.

Go back to 2003 with CP3's class and come forward to today. Our recruiting has sucked. We had 4 leave early for the draft but many of the others were totally not prepared for ACC play.

I count 13 players who were ACC players . Four of them were only here 2 years and several only contributed meaningful minutes their senior year. This excludes the 2012 class.

Last edited:
The only thing annoying about our fanbase is rushing the fucking court after beating the number 19 team in the country.

I would not have rushed the court after that game and didn't think it warranted it. Having said that, I won't begudge the student body for being excited about a victory over a hated in-state rival. Remember, no undergrad at Wake has seen us beat UNC (unless they are on the 5 year plan). Let them get excited, let them rush the court - maybe they will tell their friends how much fun it was and a few more will show up at the next game...

I just hope they rolled the quad...

I would not have rushed the court after that game and didn't think it warranted it. Having said that, I won't begudge the student body for being excited about a victory over a hated in-state rival. Remember, no undergrad at Wake has seen us beat UNC (unless they are on the 5 year plan). Let them get excited, let them rush the court - maybe they will tell their friends how much fun it was and a few more will show up at the next game...

I just hope they rolled the quad...

What few that are there probably did so. There can't be that many students back on campus from Christmas break yet- classes begin Jan 14th.

I'm sure it's been said before, but I just got to the highlight video on ESPN. 0% chance anyone watching that thought we won before the final clip with the score posted.

I think one five star recruit in WF bball history. This yeat we will win 19 games and go to the tournament. Our coach knows basketball real well and is running a program that we can be proud of supporting. All the naysayers are wrong and, so far, have not shown enough character to admit it.

I think one five star recruit in WF bball history. This yeat we will win 19 games and go to the tournament. Our coach knows basketball real well and is running a program that we can be proud of supporting. All the naysayers are wrong and, so far, have not shown enough character to admit it.
I'm sure this is a parody and all, but lol at 19 wins getting us to the NCAA tournament. I'm not even sure 21 wins get us in, although I guess it would depend on who we beat/lose to.

If Bzz wins 3 ACC road games this season that I'll admit I was wrong. Because anything less than that equals a mediocre season, at best. And its Year 4.

St.WyomingXavierYaleYoungstown St. Switch to football»2008Wake Forest Basketball Commitment List (4)

NamePosLocationHtWt40StarsRivals RatingCommittedVideos
Al-Farouq AminuSFNorcross, GANorcross6'8"2105 stars6.07/12/075 videos
Kevin SmithPlano, TXPlano East6'4"1994.92/6/08
Ty WalkerCWilmington, NCNew Hanover6'11"2155 stars6.04/3/072 videos
Tony WoodsCRome, GARome6'11"2305 stars6.07/12/073 videos

Back