• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carry On bags

Depends on the plane. Some of the widebody jets have some decent bathrooms.

It was a coach bathroom for Delta from Honalulu to Atlanta. I get in there and the entire floor and toilet seat is doused in piss like a post concert portapotty. I wipe as much as I can but I still had to drop my shorts on the gross fucking floor. Skinnier people can hold their pants around their ankles, but us fatso's need as much thigh seperation room as possible. I'm in there probably 5 minutes, walls touching both elbows, with the door locked-occupied sign clearly on, yet I still get 3 sesperate knocks. As I open the door there is a middle age lady nearly blocking me from leaving, I have to give her the stink eye and straddle my way past because she won't move 1 extra foot away from the door to let me pass. On a seperate tangent, why is there still an ashtray in a plane bathroom with a smoke detector and 8 no smoking signs when the plane has clearly been built/ updated in the last 15 years?

It was a coach bathroom for Delta from Honalulu to Atlanta. I get in there and the entire floor and toilet seat is doused in piss like a post concert portapotty. I wipe as much as I can but I still had to drop my shorts on the gross fucking floor. Skinnier people can hold their pants around their ankles, but us fatso's need as much thigh seperation room as possible. I'm in there probably 5 minutes, walls touching both elbows, with the door locked-occupied sign clearly on, yet I still get 3 sesperate knocks. As I open the door there is a middle age lady nearly blocking me from leaving, I have to give her the stink eye and straddle my way past because she won't move 1 extra foot away from the door to let me pass. On a seperate tangent, why is there still an ashtray in a plane bathroom with a smoke detector and 8 no smoking signs when the plane has clearly been built/ updated in the last 15 years?

That sucks dude.

I was on an A340 a couple weeks ago and the coach bathrooms are actually downstairs from the main seating area in sort of a lounge configuration. You could easily fit 3-4 people inside those bathrooms, and I definitely saw at least one couple make their way down there together and not come back for about 15 minutes. I always wondered how the hell anyone joined the mile high club.

As for why there are ashtrays, the reason is that in spite of all the rules there are still some fucking dumbasses who insist on trying to spark up in the bathroom, and they then need an appropriate way to dispose of their little fire. They can't drop it in the trash. There is actually some inane FAA regulation requiring that there be a functional ashtray in each lavatory. No shit.

I'm about to embark on the 4 hour cab ride from Pune to the Mumbai airport. Say a little prayer for me...the traffic is scary as hell around Mumbai!

A friend at work has a good solution. Airlines should charge baggage fees for bringing luggage on the plane. Make it free if you check your luggage. This would also speed up getting on and off the plane.

You mean what Frontier has been in the news for the last week for doing?

Also the Frontier plan shifts burden from the airline to the airport. It takes longer to get to the plane and to leave the airport and it requires more time and maybe more workers to load and unload the bags.

How do the economics work there? I know nothing about the costs between airlines and airports.

I'd rather wait in line to board the plane and deal with morons stashing their bags than wait in line to check my bag and then wait in line to board the plane.

The airlines could make things a lot easier on passengers if they would just enforce their own carry-on rules and not let you bring three fucking oversized bags on the plane.

Also the Frontier plan shifts burden from the airline to the airport. It takes longer to get to the plane and to leave the airport and it requires more time and maybe more workers to load and unload the bags.

How do the economics work there? I know nothing about the costs between airlines and airports.
Not sure about Frontier, but we flew Allegiant last year. The same 4 people checked the luggage, loaded it onto the plane, and boarded us. It was the damndest thing I'd ever seen.

Frontier is bigger but they do have a small staff pretty much anywhere but Denver. Same thing happened to me on two flights to Tallahassee. They were Embry-Riddle students and two were the flight attendants.

Generally the airport leases gate space and counter space to the airline. The airline should provide the staff to get bags from check in to the plane. At some point TSA rifles through your bag and takes what they want.

Ok. So the airline is just shifting the burden to their workers to shorten boarding times. Makes sense. I prefer carry ons instead of waiting at baggage claim. I typically just carry a laptop bag and roller bag.

Ok. So the airline is just shifting the burden to their workers to shorten boarding times. Makes sense. I prefer carry ons instead of waiting at baggage claim. I typically just carry a laptop bag and roller bag.

What you do makes sense, but it is also the reason it takes so long to board and deplane. So many flights are on smaller planes these days that let you check your bag when you board. You also pick up your roller bag as you leave the plane. You do not have to go down to luggage area and they do not have as much opportunity to go through your stuff.

I'm fine with that. That makes sense. What typically happens instead is that I'm forced to check my bag at the gate and get it at baggage claim. Of course that defeats the purpose of packing light to use a small bag which in turn saves the airline gas.

I'll also add that the boarding order is a problem as well. Instead of boarding back to front, outside to inside, I have to stand in line in the aisle, climb over two people to get to the window seat, or use an overhead several rows behind or in front of my seat.

Last edited:
I'm fine with that. That makes sense. What typically happens instead is that I'm forced to check my bag at the gate and get it at baggage claim. Of course that defeats the purpose of packing light to use a small bag which in turn saves the airline gas.

I'll also add that the boarding order is a problem as well. Instead of boarding back to front, outside to inside, I have to stand in line in the aisle, climb over two people to get to the window seat, or use an overhead several rows behind or in front of my seat.

Lufthansa has the boarding order figured out!

Details? I hope to have the pleasure of flying them some day.

That's the one plus of the US Airways card so far - our seats are usually zone 3 but zone 2 boarding means no one is back there yet!

Yes. Boarding is all about status. If you fly a lot you can always get zone 1 or zone 2. It is bad with efficiency but it rewards frequent flyers with early boarding and prized overhead storage space.

Of course they will also give you status if you accept one of their credit cards.

Yes. Boarding is all about status. If you fly a lot you can always get zone 1 or zone 2. It is bad with efficiency but it rewards frequent flyers with early boarding and prized overhead storage space.

Of course they will also give you status if you accept one of their credit cards.

Right. If you board by status, either make it more efficient (you board first but board in the back) or don't complain about efficiency. Flight attendants blaming passengers for a systematic issue is annoying.

Back