• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carry On bags

Whoa. Haven't thought about this thread for a while. I enjoyed it all a second time and agree that you should put your seat back if you want to. And I'm 6'2.

Okay travel gurus, here's my situation...

I booked a flight through Delta from CLT to Akron. My flight out on Thursday is 5 PM. After booking, I realized I needed to get on an earlier flight. I missed the 24 hour window to change. They now want to charge me $200 + cost of the flight. Basically I'd be paying double now. I called Delta. They agreed to cut the $200 in half. I still think that's steep. The Delta rep also suggested I look into their new Confirmed Stand-By program. It's $50, but there are some catches. I have to call midnight the day before my flight to have a chance on the flight. Has anyone used this new program or familiar enough to know how it works???

It isn't unreasonable considering you must have bought a non-refundable ticket, and they generally make it pretty clear that's what you're doing (and indeed give you options to buy a much more expensive refundable fare).

ETA: I stand corrected, I usually book on AA which makes the distinction very clear. Delta.com does not.

Last edited:
It isn't unreasonable considering you must have bought a non-refundable ticket, and they generally make it pretty clear that's what you're doing (and indeed give you options to buy a much more expensive refundable fare).

ETA: I stand corrected, I usually book on AA which makes the distinction very clear. Delta.com does not.

I don't think the distinction is clear, but I also certainly understand their rules. However, I was more interested in the Confirmed Stand-By. I just Delta has revamped all of their policies in the past month, and it has been a shit show.

I just flew back from Kauia to Boston and didnt want to check my bag since once i landed the last thing i wanted to do was wait around the airport. Of course I was zone 5 and as I was about to board they made me gait check it saying the computer said the overhead bins were full. The overhead bins were maybe half full when i got on. Such bullshit.

Just cruised through ATL security in 2 minutes. Precheck is so awesome.

Where is your office, forest park?

Also, just watched a dude stuff his bag in row 2 and walk back to about row 20. I'm in row 2 and there are clearly empty spots behind me.

I just flew back from Kauia to Boston and didnt want to check my bag since once i landed the last thing i wanted to do was wait around the airport. Of course I was zone 5 and as I was about to board they made me gait check it saying the computer said the overhead bins were full. The overhead bins were maybe half full when i got on. Such bullshit.

say your computer is in there and they'll let you carry it on

Also, just watched a dude stuff his bag in row 2 and walk back to about row 20. I'm in row 2 and there are clearly empty spots behind me.

Wish someone who didn't give a fuck would have been sitting next to you, and just walked off the plane with that dude's bag.

Where is your office, forest park?

ugh I hate that. If I'm going to have carry-on bags that need to go in the overhead (suitcase rather than small bag under the seat), I have taken to choosing seats farther back in the plane so I can be certain of overhead space. Makes it slower to deplane but I was once sitting in the front couple rows, thus was last to board, and had to go back about 15 rows to find a spot for my bag. That meant I had to wait until the whole plane emptied before I could go back to get it.

My favorite travel story of all time...I was an eye-witness....happened ~June 2012. Forgive me if I've already posted this.
- Flight lands in Greensboro; steamy, hot Wednesday afternoon
- Sweaty passengers who yellow-tagged their carry-ons are crammed into the jetway....waiting for their bags
- First item to come into the jetway was a folded up baby stroller
- Woman holding a crying 2-yr old makes her way to the front....can't manage both holding the screaming kid and unfolding the stroller
- Businessman steps up with outstretched arms and offers to hold the miserable kid while woman negotiates stroller
- Kid pukes all over businessman

Having just booked a leisure flight, I'm getting impressed with how creative airlines are with fees.

"Oh you want to choose your seat now when you bought your airfare? Then choose among these for $60, you can choose again for more $$$ for the 2nd leg of your flight, then we do it all over again for the return trip. Otherwise wait until you check in" FU USAir.

general international travel question:

we're not honeymooning until a little less than 3 months after the wedding. i am taking his name. before i can change my passport, i know i have to deal with social security.

how fast is the passport process? do i have time to both deal with social security/dmv, AND get a new passport before then? or should i just hold off on the passport change until after the honeymoon? as long as i keep my drivers license with my maiden name on it , i can still use the passport with my maiden name even if my name has legally been changed, right?

general international travel question:

we're not honeymooning until a little less than 3 months after the wedding. i am taking his name. before i can change my passport, i know i have to deal with social security.

how fast is the passport process? do i have time to both deal with social security/dmv, AND get a new passport before then? or should i just hold off on the passport change until after the honeymoon? as long as i keep my drivers license with my maiden name on it , i can still use the passport with my maiden name even if my name has legally been changed, right?

I think my passport came back about a month later but I'm pretty sure it completely depends on how busy they are. I think if you do it fairly quickly after you would probably be okay but potentially not.

Not sure if there are rules about how soon after a name change you have to change your license over.

I think my passport came back about a month later but I'm pretty sure it completely depends on how busy they are. I think if you do it fairly quickly after you would probably be okay but potentially not.

Not sure if there are rules about how soon after a name change you have to change your license over.

i can go ahead and change the license, but keep the old one that matches my passport, right?

Don't they punch a hole in the old license to indicate that it is no longer valid?

Back