• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

You nerds will appreciate this - last year, I got the opportunity to play on a baller 3-D Catan board.

zAfL9Ak.jpg

Everything fits in that chest. Here's what the roads & settlements look like (not posting pic because it's large).

Last edited:
So, I've spent a large part of these snow days teaching my oldest (8) Risk. He likes it, but has a really hard time with the momentum swings of bonus troops.

sblbba.jpg

do you do escalating like 5,10,15,20 bonus troops or a flat 4,6,8,10?

We did escalating in this game (which has lasted 4 days so far in between school, work, and playing in the snow). You can see the golden cavalry on the 40 mark. I usually play flat, but the boy read the rule book before we played and insisted on the escalating bonuses.

Any Dominion players here? I'm looking for the next, great game.

This past year I've played the shit out of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Ticket To Ride, Citadels, and Jaipur.

I've been playing a lot of Secret Hitler. Big fan of that game.

Ticket to Ride looks good, I've had my eye on that for a while. Picked up 7 Wonders a while back but haven't had a chance to try it. I really liked Codewords, but nobody else seemed to enjoy it when we gave it a try.

I got Pandemic for mdmh last year, we had fun with a couple playthroughs of that last time I was down. Been thinking about getting the legacy version.

Ticket to Ride is a great game. Really changes depending on how many players there are.

Also got Rivals of Catan recently (2 player game), which is a great variant on Settlers if you only have two people.

Any Dominion players here? I'm looking for the next, great game.

This past year I've played the shit out of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Ticket To Ride, Citadels, and Jaipur.

I have Puerto Rico and have never opened the box. How easy is it to learn/play?

It's somewhat complicated, just because there are a ton of moving parts in the game. You'll consult the rulebook a lot the first game or two (and still consult it occasionally even after that).

But it's totally worth it.

San Juan is a card-game version of Puerto Rico that's much easier to setup and learn, but uses the same core concepts (choosing between production, building, prospecting, etc. each turn) and is a great game on its own.

Started Gloomhaven last weekend. It's really fun.

Whats the best trivia based board game? We've played Bezzerwizzer since college which was excellent but we've literally been through every question now. Need something new

I've been playing a lot of Secret Hitler. Big fan of that game.

Ticket to Ride looks good, I've had my eye on that for a while. Picked up 7 Wonders a while back but haven't had a chance to try it. I really liked Codewords, but nobody else seemed to enjoy it when we gave it a try.

I got Pandemic for mdmh last year, we had fun with a couple playthroughs of that last time I was down. Been thinking about getting the legacy version.

Just picked up Pandemic Legacy a couple weeks ago. Had not played the original at all, so we took several goes at the basic version before playing the first month of the campaign. It is a very interesting game, but it kills me that it is a $70 game and you can really only play the Legacy version through one time. Admittedly, that is around 18-20 hours of play, but the game literally tells you to destroy cards at certain points and permanently alter other parts of the game regularly. It is impossible to play through it a second time without going through substantial effort to replace multiple parts of the game or putting in a significant effort to future proof it before you ever get started.

Just picked up Pandemic Legacy a couple weeks ago. Had not played the original at all, so we took several goes at the basic version before playing the first month of the campaign. It is a very interesting game, but it kills me that it is a $70 game and you can really only play the Legacy version through one time. Admittedly, that is around 18-20 hours of play, but the game literally tells you to destroy cards at certain points and permanently alter other parts of the game regularly. It is impossible to play through it a second time without going through substantial effort to replace multiple parts of the game or putting in a significant effort to future proof it before you ever get started.

Pandemic Legacy (season 1) is board game geek's highest rated game: https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Season 2 recently came out. You can get season 1 for less than $40 if you shop around and wait for deals.

Gloomhaven is the same way, with an altering gamescape.

Oh, and look what #2 is on that list.

If you like Catan, you should check out Settlers of America: Trails to Rails (https://www.amazon.com/Catan-Histor...1810798&sr=1-1&keywords=catan+trails+to+rails)

It blows Catan out of the water IMO. There are a lot more moving parts and a few more rules meaning you have to be a lot more strategic. After playing this, Catan feels like winning is like 80% luck of the dice.

It is a long game: took us over 3 hours to play one game the first time we played, but now (with 3 people) we can usually play in about 90 minutes.

Also love Ticket to Ride: Europe, adds in a few new twists from the original.

Code Names is really fun for a more social group. Fairly easy to pick up and can play with small or large groups.

Updates with kids:
Quixx
Quirkle

Has anyone played Prime Climb?
I'd like to get a couple for Christmas this year, something 'from santa' that all of us can play. I can think of classics, but any new suggestions would be good, too. Kids ages 7 and 10.

Saw this pop up and was going to come asking about Dominion. We played it this summer at the beach once, but it was fun. My brother was talking about wanting to own it (and my husband got him in Secret Santa this year) so we thought that would be a good gift. However, in my brief online search there look like different versions and editions? Any recommendation for what we should actually purchase?

Back