• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Any Agricola players here? I was turned onto it by a former college roommate, and we're hooked.

Saw this pop up and was going to come asking about Dominion. We played it this summer at the beach once, but it was fun. My brother was talking about wanting to own it (and my husband got him in Secret Santa this year) so we thought that would be a good gift. However, in my brief online search there look like different versions and editions? Any recommendation for what we should actually purchase?

Expansions are not stand-alone, meaning you still need to have the base game. So start with the base (Dominion - 2nd edition).

Any Dominion players here? I'm looking for the next, great game.

This past year I've played the shit out of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Ticket To Ride, Citadels, and Jaipur.

Dominion is one of my favorite games to bust out randomly but I wouldn’t call it a “great game” if that is what you are looking for.

It is great for groups of people and especially those who don’t play a lot of card/board games. Also good if people are drinking as it isn’t as involved as a lot of games.

Nicest thing about it is that the strategies can vary quite a bit dependent on the cards included in the round so it can be played over and over.

Biggest issue I find with games like Catan and our friends is that after a few games everybody knows the best strategies to win so it loses a lot of the fun. Dominion can be different every time you play especially if you buy one or more of the expansions.

For those of you who like Dominion, check out Paperback. It's a deck builder, like Dominion, crossed with a word game, kinda like Scrabble.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/109392497/handmade-3d-settlers-of-catan-tiles-by

8e92cf_5aac4a82c3db42fea21998b6670ae26f~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg

If any of y’all are big Catan fans looking for a dope Christmas present, check this out.

Anyone ever played Superfight? A card game where you play fighters with different abilities (good and bad) and then debate who would win. Lots of expansions, and pretty fun.

Ticket to Ride is a great game. Really changes depending on how many players there are.

Also got Rivals of Catan recently (2 player game), which is a great variant on Settlers if you only have two people.

I liked Ticket to Ride; have only played it once. Hoping to get the nephews to play it again.

Tell me about this two person Catan game - just a board game, or is there an electronic version?

It's somewhat complicated, just because there are a ton of moving parts in the game. You'll consult the rulebook a lot the first game or two (and still consult it occasionally even after that).

But it's totally worth it.

San Juan is a card-game version of Puerto Rico that's much easier to setup and learn, but uses the same core concepts (choosing between production, building, prospecting, etc. each turn) and is a great game on its own.

I’m a big Puerto Rico fan. Usually takes up a chunk of my time on shorter plane flights - the iPad version is pretty good.

I liked Ticket to Ride; have only played it once. Hoping to get the nephews to play it again.

Tell me about this two person Catan game - just a board game, or is there an electronic version?

It’s called rivals of catan and you each have your own “board” that you are building. Same dynamics as the original game as far as victory points, rolling for resources, etc. It is just in the form of a card game and 2 players.

wife bought me Betrayal at the House on the Hill for my birthday. Takes a little while to explain the rules but it's pretty damned fun.

Back