• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Strong already on the hot seat?

It would require a lot of money to be worth the pressure.

Texas probably has boosters who call in plays during the game and expect to see them run or else the program loses millions.

this is sad commentary by McCombs. I hope he won't revel in any big wins that happen under Strong. This is not the sort of welcome a new coach deserves. I'm sure he wanted a "bigger" name coach, but that ship has sailed- likely partly because of loud mouths like McCombs

Wilbon said this was a huge hire due to Strong's race. A black man heading up arguably the biggest, most lucrative coaching position, in a historically solid red state is an important development.

What he didn't say is just how many Longhorns out there were seriously pissed off about the same thing. It's sad but only a fool would think that's not an ugly mentality in some circles.

I think Strong brings a fantastic resume to the table. If those people will support him instead of creating obstacles, he should be successful.

Franklin might have been a better choice in terms of handling the intense PR

xcsc.gif

I'm trying to figure out McCombs' logic here. He'd rather have a guy who has been out coaching for five years than a guy with a 37-14 record as a head coach over that same time period.

It's amazing how much Jon Gruden's stock as a head coach has gone up after being fired from the Bucs.

I'm trying to figure out McCombs' logic here. He'd rather have a guy who has been out coaching for five years than a guy with a 37-14 record as a head coach over that same time period.

It's amazing how much Jon Gruden's stock as a head coach has gone up after being fired from the Bucs.

In general I find that ex coaches who become tv analysts' stock tend to rise because these GM's, etc. see them on television where they get to use the advantage of hindsight and just talking theoretically.

Wilbon said this was a huge hire due to Strong's race. A black man heading up arguably the biggest, most lucrative coaching position, in a historically solid red state is an important development.

What he didn't say is just how many Longhorns out there were seriously pissed off about the same thing. It's sad but only a fool would think that's not an ugly mentality in some circles.

I think Strong brings a fantastic resume to the table. If those people will support him instead of creating obstacles, he should be successful.

I have done absolutely no research by my hunch is there are more black head football coaches in red states than blue states.

I have done absolutely no research by my hunch is there are more black head football coaches in red states than blue states.

There's more FBS football in red states than blue states and very few FBS teams located in large urban areas with high black populations.

Here's the list though. Knock yourself out. Good luck with your "but my state has a black coach" argument.

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M; David Shaw, Stanford: Charlie Strong, Texas; James Franklin, Vanderbilt; Darrell Hazell, Purdue; Curtis Johnson, Tulane; Mike London, University of Virginia; Garrick McKee, University of Alabama-Birmingham; Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina; Willie Taggart, South Florida; and Don Treadwell, Miami-Ohio.

Last edited:

More HBCUs in southern/red/formerly slave states than in the north. In addition to Ph's comment, if Tuskegee or Alabama State hires a black coach, it will hardly garner any attention. Now imagine if Alabama hired a black man. Detractors are smart enough (well, most of them at least) to whisper or hide their racism. But let's not get silly that it wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
There's more FBS football in red states than blue states. Here's the list though. Knock yourself out. Good luck with your "but my state has a black coach" argument.

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M Aggies; David Shaw, Stanford: Charlie Strong, Texas; James Franklin, Vanderbilt; Darrell Hazell, Purdue; Curtis Johnson, Tulane; Mike London, University of Virginia; Garrick McKee, University of Alabama-Birmingham; Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina; Willie Taggart, South Florida; and Don Treadwell, Miami-Ohio.

this has nothing to do with the argument, but seeing his name on your list reminded me. Ruffin McNeil went to HS with my aunt and she was showing me his pic in a yearbook and he was listed as Ruffin "White Boy" McNeil

So you are trying to say there is less racism in the South? Take a look at all the states in the south trying to keep blacks and Hispanics from voting and get back to me.

Back